Ketchup

Cancelled
May 9, 2009
AFL Club
Collingwood
Other Teams
Tottenham Hotspur, Aberdeen FC
to be fair we won in 02 and 03
You did, and it was a bloody good football team that did it! Not like we deserved to be in those grand finals anyway.. We were quite an average side back then. I mean, Betheras? Freeborn? Steinfort? McKee? Surprised you didn't smash us in both honestly.

Schache It Off

Norm Smith Medallist
Sep 20, 2008
Melbourne
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Other Teams
Taylor Swift
Lets have a realistic comparison in 2016 when we don't have 15-20 people on the injury list, oh and the luxury of having the easiest draw.

let's not forget the good run of injuries Collingwood had.

crispy creme

Team Captain
Jun 27, 2006
Stuck in traffic on the Monash Fwy
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Laughable isn't it!

The one thing that concerns me about this from a playing perspective is the balance of the midfield. Redden is a more defensive midfielder where as the majority of our mids inckuding the recent additions are VERY attack minded.

Absolutely spot on. Our comparative stoppage and clearance work is in the bottom few and one of our big-bodied, 'true' stoppage types wants to leave.

Aug 26, 2015
Pile of Melted servers
AFL Club
Richmond
This sort of thing doesnt happen without reason, why does it keep happening though? is it the #kulcha? is it the coach/captain? i dont think ive ever seen anything like this happen to another club (my clubs notorious history aside) as i dont know whats going on up there is there anything that it could be?

May 3, 2005
Brisbane
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Other Teams
Scuderia Ferrari, Dallas Cowboys
This sort of thing doesnt happen without reason, why does it keep happening though? is it the #kulcha? is it the coach/captain? i dont think ive ever seen anything like this happen to another club (my clubs notorious history aside) as i dont know whats going on up there is there anything that it could be?

The media have built the exodus narrative now. Seems we can no longer make tough list management decisions without being called a rabble.

The media have built the exodus narrative now. Seems we can no longer make tough list management decisions without being called a rabble.

Yes, first day of Spring...just a bit of Spring cleaning, that's all...

May 3, 2005
Brisbane
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Other Teams
Yes, first day of Spring...just a bit of Spring cleaning, that's all...

I think that what VP is trying to say is that we should share the 'burden' of trolling the Brisbane board, maybe by wearing 10 points each but avoiding serious strife. :thumbsu:

Someone might get you with the Glen 20 if you don't play it right.

lukiuslion

Cancelled
Feb 9, 2010
Melbourne
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
This will be inflammatory - but I am of the view some posters are more determined in holding onto this "crystal ball, everything is normal, why are you surprised?" defense of everything ATM than actually discussing the issue or letting some emotion in. it might be a rare form of denial or something along those lines.

I know others will say I am determined to engage in hysteria.

But - Once again in a footy sense, I'm not overly concerned, in a club/ culture sense I don't see how, amidst the storm that is apparently brewing - jack redden wanting to break a contract and leave - is not a worrying sign. I personally think it's pretty shocking and I'm worried the rumors about others might be true. I would have had him in a 'impossible' he will leave basket 12 weeks ago.

The notion it is 'no surprise' is lunacy IMO - again, I feel those who are just willing to shrug their shoulders on this one, must have very low expectations - I think I need to lower mine. On all topics.

Someone might get you with the Glen 20 if you don't play it right.

I was just trying to help you find a new narrative. Something catchier than 'exodus'. A list 'cleansing', perhaps?

I'll show myself out.:thumbsu:

I was just trying to help you find a new narrative. Something catchier than 'exodus'. A list 'cleansing', perhaps?

I'll show myself out.:thumbsu:
How about, getting off the bus?

ColdWarWarrior

Team Captain
Jun 28, 2015
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Man, it hasn't taken Free Agency long to totally destroy this league and just ruin clubs. Feel for you guys, it shouldn't be playing out like this.

AFL needs to look quick smart at Free Agency and how you can't take a little from "column A" without taking at least something from "Column B"

NBA has free agency, but it also gives clubs the right to trade players to any location they want, without a players consent. At least in this scenario, when a player "Demands" a trade - the club has leverage with who they choose to deal with - it also means players think twice about doing so as they have to consider the club could possibly trade them to Adelaide or GWS, & not their preferred Melbourne location.

The other thing the NBA has is the rookies are signed up to a 2 year rookie contract, with the CLUB having an option for an additional 2 years at a price which is approximately doubled. The amount of rookie or sophomore players leaving Brisbane is a joke & the league needs to put measures in place before your club is on life support.
I think you are onto something there. However in the past whenever concessions have been in place for non AFL state clubs we have had the likes of Eddie McGuire push hard to have them removed such as extended salary cap and priority zone picks is the Acadamies.

Leemas

Club Legend
Sep 1, 2014
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
image.jpg

Abandon ship

Big "don't let go Jack" opportunity missed there.
Rockliff holding his hand as well.

I think that is the most missed opportunity of 2015.

May 3, 2005
Brisbane
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Other Teams
Rockliff holding his hand as well.

I think that is the most missed opportunity of 2015.

Aish is Billy Zane dressed as a woman trying to get into a lifeboat unnoticed.

Sep 14, 2012
Broadbeach
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
He is a decent tackler but not in the same way that Robbo is a decent tackler. Robbo will always try and win the ball first and foremost and if not then lays on some savage tackles. Redden on the other hand tends to wait for opponents to pick the ball up then lay a tackle. I know which one I'd rather.

ColdWarWarrior

Team Captain
Jun 28, 2015
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
IMO Redden requesting a trade is not the end of the world, players have requested trades before ie Pateful and going back in the day Des Headland much more important players than Redden and the sky didn't fall in.

When you look at Reddens output during his stay at Brisbane you will realise he is not an A grader. A great tackler but does not damage the opposition when he has ball in hand. He can and will be covered by the existing crop of talent.

More importantly WHY is he leaving? Is it due as some posters here have indicated that he is currently overcompensated and younger talent pushing through are about to overtake him and he is putting himeself on the market while he believes his value is high?

Or is he leaving due to reasons of discontent as some in the southern media are suggesting?

If its the latter then the club does have a problem but we may never know the real reason.

IMO the litmus test for the club comes post Round 23 when its time for players to indicate their intentions if they do want to leave, then we can start drawing some firm conclusions.

May 3, 2005
Brisbane
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Other Teams
I

Or is he leaving due to reasons of discontent as some in the southern media are suggesting?

Discontent is pretty broad though. If a player is discontented it isn't always the club's fault.

A lot of so called leaders of the playing group have been coasting to a degree for years now. Seemingly happy to just be a big fish in a small pond and not really do anything great with it. Rocky is the standout exception to this. Ferociously wants to club to be better.

This would have been a pretty cushy club to play for in recent years in some respects. Play some okay footy, sign frontloaded contracts, profit. Times are changing. If a player is discontented because (and this is hypothetical) they've been given some hard truths and critical feedback that they just refuse to take on board, then maybe it's on them.

We've done the middle way (playing it safe with the occasional rare exception) with list management for a while now largely because of the spectre of Fevola and "exodus". It's left us nowhere.

We really are at a turning point for better or for worse. We finally have a CEO, board and coach on the same page and they are going to work to the blueprint they have laid out. It's going to leave us a bit uncomfortable. Some sacred cows may be slain on the way.

Just have to hope it is a good blueprint.

Last edited:

ColdWarWarrior

Team Captain
Jun 28, 2015
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Discontent is pretty broad though. If a player is discontented it isn't always the club's fault.

A lot of so called leaders of the playing group have been coasting to a degree for years now. Seemingly happy to just be a big fish in a small pond and not really do anything great with it. Rocky is the standout exception to this. Ferociously wants to club to be better.

If a player is discontented because (and this is hypothetical) they've been given some hard truths and critical feedback that they just refuse to take on board, then maybe it's on them.

We've done the middle way (playing it safe with the occasional rare exception) with list management for a while now largely because of the spectre of Fevola and "exodus". It's left us nowhere.

We really are at a turning point for better or for worse. We finally have a CEO, board and coach on the same page and they are going to work to the blueprint they have laid out. It's going to leave us a bit uncomfortable. Some sacred cows may be slain on the way.

Just have to hope it is a good blueprint.
I agree, we just have to stick to the plan and give things time to mature, sure the Redden thing is disapointing but like you said he is probably one of those that has been coasting to a degree.

This time last year who was talking about Mitch Robinson Allen Christianson or even Harris Andrews? Things can change rapidly in this game and Brisbane are set to be big traders, retaining Redden is not mission critical in the scheme of things, but keeping someone like Martin is and thats where we hace to focus our resources.

Back