Autopsy Jack Redden Requests Trade

No quick fixes is the biggest problem. It is nothing short of a joke that we still haven't got our training facilities sorted out. Why would a player want to stay when we will most likely be bottom 4 next year, have s**t facilities and can get a better pay elsewhere. It is a long road to get to where we want to go.

Panthera

Premiership Player
Feb 15, 2008
Melbourne
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Rocky looked totally rattled in the interview yesterday. Spoke well but obviously hurting from this decision. Hard to tell exactly what the real reason is but like most things it is probably more complex than any one issue i.e. money, his role at the club, relationship with the coach, desire to win and possibly just wanting a change.

I don't begrudge Redden making the decision, it is obviously his choice and he has thought about it long and hard before deciding. I do think that turning him around would be difficult from this point.

Spin it anyway you like but Redden wanting out in these circumstance is a big problem for the club, especially Leppa. Not only does it open the door for more players who are tossing up similar decisions to leave, similar to what Yeo did by riding the wave out so to speak, but it continues the narrative that the Lions are not being able to keep their players.

I think he's probably been told by Jack, the list of other players looking to head out the door :confused:

stefoid

Brownlow Medallist
Mar 8, 2002
home
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
A bit like the Griffen situation that came out of left field - at least Redden isnt doing it to you in the middle of trade week.

I wonder if you could do something shifty like release him from his contract so you get compo rather than a trade?

rusty08

Club Legend
Feb 11, 2008
melbourne
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
I don't mind Terry Wallace. But he is living in dream land if he thinks Redden is only worth a late second round pick. 7 years in the system - 124 games ready made mid. No way we take a late second round for Redden.

Also is it just me or why is it Redden decided he wants to leave and all of a sudden and within a minute of the announcement the Eagles are into him. They have been into him all season i bet.
As far as his worth goes, I'm expecting a tad more because he's contracted, but other than that, a mid to late 20 pick is what I think he's probably worth. He's shown his hand as a player Imo so I don't think there's a great deal of upside.
We got Christensen for pick 21 and I'd much prefer him.

I remember a lot of people calling the media journo etc flogs when it was rumoured Polec was set to leave... look how that turned out. Next minute mass exodus.

It's amazing the s**t you can remember, because you are full of it.

With respect, I would suggest it's just as likely that he doesn't want to say he's leaving for a more private reason.

Incidentally (and please don't shoot the messenger here) but if you listen to the AFL Exchange podcast from the 26th of August the following dialogue occurs between the two presenters, who may or may not be full of s**t. I've been kind enough to type out the transcript for you.

Drew Lowther: What I will say is that Brisbane are shaping as the biggest out of season story at this stage.
Matt Thompson: Why, what's going to happen?
Drew Lowther: There are significant issues at Brisbane.
Matt Thompson: Both on and off the field?
Drew Lowther: Hmmm. Significant.
Matt Thompson: Is there a chance the coach might not be there?
Drew Lowther: Oh, there's always a chance the coach wont be there, at any club.... But I don't think that's imminent... But I think there's issues.

This would mean something if anyone had a clue who the hell Drew Lowther is

Dec 25, 2004
Perth
AFL Club
West Coast

davemc_lions

Premiership Player
Aug 21, 2013
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Honestly we won only 3 games and at times we play with no game plan. I mean we got soft wins the last few years from GSW and Suns to booster things. They both improving we are not :(
This year we beat the Blues twice.. They are a basket case as well and got the Power on a off day.
At times or 5-10 mins we play great then it goes to crap.

If I was a player mid 20's and could get to a top eight side why would you not go.
Teams are starting to get rid of players a lot earlier then they used to.. See Adcock and Geelong.
Redden might have 6-7 years to get into a team to play finals.

When the guys came to the Lions a few years after our Premierships I did not think they thought we be down on our knees for as long as we are.
Its too easy to blame Voss and now Leppa.. Something else is wrong somewhere.

Ruse

Club Legend
Jan 25, 2007
KFC Dumpster
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Other Teams
Its Always Sunny
No quick fixes is the biggest problem. It is nothing short of a joke that we still haven't got our training facilities sorted out. Why would a player want to stay when we will most likely be bottom 4 next year, have s**t facilities and can get a better pay elsewhere. It is a long road to get to where we want to go.
What kind of facilities are we supposed to have? The players only spend a few hours a day there lifting weights and s**t its not supposed to be a 5 star hotel.

Sep 14, 2012
Broadbeach
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
What kind of facilities are we supposed to have? The players only spend a few hours a day there lifting weights and s**t its not supposed to be a 5 star hotel.
Yeah the actual gym side of things we could maybe use with a few more machines/free weight areas but a barbell is a barbell no matter where you are. I think the facilities that separates us from Collingwood and the likes is the recovery phase of things. Collingwood have a high altitude warehouse, anti-gravity machines and I have even heard they have a hyperbolic time chamber! How can we compete with that?

Nov 10, 2008
Bunbury
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
Tottenham
I don't mind Terry Wallace. But he is living in dream land if he thinks Redden is only worth a late second round pick. 7 years in the system - 124 games ready made mid. No way we take a late second round for Redden.

Also is it just me or why is it Redden decided he wants to leave and all of a sudden and within a minute of the announcement the Eagles are into him. They have been into him all season i bet.
Are teams allowed to contact contracted players throughout the year ?

Were Redden and Yeo good friends at brisbane? Perhaps that might have something to do with it.

jackess

Cancelled
30k Posts 10k Posts
Aug 10, 2005
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Are teams allowed to contact contracted players throughout the year ?

Were Redden and Yeo good friends at brisbane? Perhaps that might have something to do with it.

Contact- yes. Offer contract- no. AFAIK.

No

Eons

Norm Smith Medallist
Sep 29, 2009
Melbourne
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Other Teams
Liverpool
Yeah the actual gym side of things we could maybe use with a few more machines/free weight areas but a barbell is a barbell no matter where you are. I think the facilities that separates us from Collingwood and the likes is the recovery phase of things. Collingwood have a high altitude warehouse, anti-gravity machines and I have even heard they have a hyperbolic time chamber! How can we compete with that?

They only work for the first half of a season.

Fitz Roy

Debutant
May 20, 2014
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Not really. Yeo wasn't friends with anybody really, which is why he requested the move.

Yeo was close with the boys of his draft year, particularly Wearden and was mentored by Dan Rich.

There was most certainly a divide in the playing group when the Go Home 5 went. This seems to be a lot different. Aish was always gone, Leuey not offered a deal, Adcock not offered a deal. Reddo not happy with how he is rated by the coach?

ColdWarWarrior

Team Captain
Jun 28, 2015
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
My understanding of the GH5 was that it was Polec and Docherty bitching and white anting to the other young blokes and NEAFL blokes on the list which underminded the club.

patfullfankezz

Puhuhuhuhu!
Jul 28, 2011
Brisbane!
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Other Teams
Brisbane Heat, Wigan Athletic

Deserves over 9000 likes.

Back