Jack v Chaplin leadership...

Remove this Banner Ad

So Jack was 'unvoted' from the leadership group over summer and Chaplin was voted in.

Last 2 games, Jack has shown heaps of 'real' leadership during games.... stepped up, dragged us forward.

Chaplin has lost form since elevation.

Hindsight - mistake - upset team harmony early in the year?

There's more to leadership then stepping up in the hot parts of the game.
Chaplin is the general of the backline. He tells everyone where to position themselves and leads stoicly in unexpected situations. I think Chaplin over the past two weeks has picked up his form and is starting to play much better football. Not taking anything from Riewoldt, but I'm very happy for him to play football where his mind is only focused on football and not on leadership and media.

So Jack was 'unvoted' from the leadership group over summer and Chaplin was voted in.

Last 2 games, Jack has shown heaps of 'real' leadership during games.... stepped up, dragged us forward.

Chaplin has lost form since elevation.

Hindsight - mistake - upset team harmony early in the year?

Absolutely not. Just because you step up and take control of a game by kicking a coupe of goals does not make you a leader. Leadership is about looking beyond your own game and assisting and guiding others around you. Jack does not do that.

You are making the judgement that a player out of form is a poor leader and that a player in form is a good one. While ideally you would like your leaders to be performing well, there is much more to leadership than having 36 possession or kicking 4 goals

From afar - Jack's body language can sometimes be sour. I saw the cameras cut to him the other night giving someone upfield an absolute spray for not kicking it to him. Mind you the person upfield made the absolute right choice as jack had 2 players on his hammer. The only mistake the person upfield made was that they did not execute their kick well to the other option - but it was definitely the right one.

Internally - we have absolutely no idea what the expectations are from the leaders of the club. We just guess based on what we think it is. There are people much closer to the leadership group than us who have determined that a the moment he does not have the credentials to be part of that group.

The only disappointing thing the club did IMO was cut Jack from the group so close to the seasons start. Although they obviously felt after pre-season he had not held his spot.

Let Jack do what he does best - kick goals.

There's more to leadership then stepping up in the hot parts of the game.
Chaplin is the general of the backline. He tells everyone where to position themselves and leads stoicly in unexpected situations. I think Chaplin over the past two weeks has picked up his form and is starting to play much better football. Not taking anything from Riewoldt, but I'm very happy for him to play football where his mind is only focused on football and not on leadership and media.
Its the psychology of it all. We want ALL players to be leaders and encourage everyone else as well. I get that chappy does this, but I still think he is coasting a little, and maybe needs a rocket by the coaches.

Maybe the leaders were throwing down the gauntlet to JR ? He has strengths in some areas but not in others. The RFC gets better when the whole team lifts . The key question is, what is the best way to get that from each team member? That to me is a key issue in leadership...I think JR has it in him. Can he lift in his on field leadership and still play his role like we know he can ? We will all see in time....

It's hard to question the clubs decision as we outsiders can only speculate.

But..., saying that, I'm questioning all of the clubs decisions at this point in time.

Chappy is a gimp. This General is the first bloke back there to s**t his shorts and it spreads like nutella.

Sent from my HTC_PN071 using Tapatalk

Chappy is a gimp. This General is the first bloke back there to s**t his shorts and it spreads like nutella.
Sent from my HTC_PN071 using Tapatalk

Is there a shorts cam that i'm not aware of, cos that's pretty detailed ??

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Joel Selwood, Nathan Buckley, Brent Harvey, Steven Johnson, Barry Hall (Premiership Captain) are all superstars who were/are never shy to give teammates a spray. Especially Selwood. Cos the media love slagging us off Jack & Richo copped heavy scrutiny. I've always been happy with Jack's on field leadership & won't bow to the crap MacClure & Robbo go on with. On a side note tigerofold is right, leadership groups are overrated.

The thing is Jack is more RFC heart and soul than chap ever will be

It must of had an impact of some sort

I think we need to head over to Brazil again during the bye and sought this leadership group properly.....

Whether Jack is in the leadership group or not, he is still a 'leader' at the club and I still consider him the 'leader' of the forwardline out on the field.

Watch any game as the players are walking to their positions and its not uncommon for Jack to be there gathering the other forwards around him issuing instructions and giving encouragement.

While Jack is a bigger name and more flashy player, that (IMO) doesn't make him more of a 'leader'. One attribute of being a leader is stepping up when needed (which Jack has definitely done in recent weeks). However (for mine), he still can play for frees more than he should when I think he should just try and get on with the game (especially when the ball is still in play).

Jack's omission from the leadership group wasn't even a slight on him as a leader (like the media tried to beat it up to be like), he improved as a leader in 2013 becoming much more self less (as seen in his huge number of goal assists last year). It was just that in the eyes of his peers at the club, Chaplin was seen to be an even more prominent leader around the club in the way he went about his business.

Appreciate the merit of a leader who is a great 'clubman' and is great on the track and around the rooms but we have lacked for a long time a real on-field leader who can change the direction of the game with great courage, great skill or take control of the play when the other team gets a run on.

We used to be universally known as a team of introverts.
We have had solid type Captains like Newman, Johnston & Campbell but no match-winning types.

Cotch is great and will do this.
Jack with his passion and flair and match-changing abilities on game-day is far more valuable than the solid citizen types.

Seems to me Jack isnt doing any of the whining stuff he's been known for atm, might have been a masterstroke kicking him out, the best leadership he's shown so far has been this season.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back