Jackson Bird

Remove this Banner Ad

Yeah I would say low 130 too. But Bird's got quite a lot of his wickets through bowled/lbw so to hear that batsmen are being surprised by his speed isn't a shock.

It really depends on how they're getting them. So yeah a bit of both. With Butterworth and Faulkner it's hard to get too up in arm, because those two are damn good at extracting any bit of life they can from the ball/pitch. But with Cutting and Herrick whenever I see them bowl I just don't see anything too special apart from their higher than average pace and they're putting up some pretty amazing stats.

Much of Herrick's success comes from bowling stump to stump. No margin for error for the batsman if done for speed. Unfortunately it is this modus operandi which makes him very hittable in the shorter versions of the game.

Herrick stats are basically what you expect from a fast bowler, they are similar to Lee's one, good strike rate and wickets but average in the 30s.

Nup, the selectors love for Johnson will see him returned. The media are in on it too, quotes from the age today...

'
His injury means Mitchell Johnson could be recalled to the Test squad after a year in the Test wilderness.'

'Though Johnson has not taken bags of first-class wickets this season - he has 13 scalps at 30 from four games - opponents have reported the 31-year-old's potent mix of pace and swing has returned.'

He was dropped back to shield cricket to take wickets and hasn't taken many wickets, but still being considered to return??? I don't get it.

He'll be back ahead of Bird, put the house on it.

nah bird's def ahead of mcdermott. remember, mcdermott got dropped from qld early this season. clearly there's not that much pressure from ca to force qld to play him whether they want to or not, and of course that suggests there's not much thought from ca that he's about to play test cricket anytime soon.

Butterworth's form dipped. Sometimes it's all about timing.

Think it would be between Bird/Hazlewood and Cutting and since Cutting got Injured Bird would have hit the front for spot number 6 paceman which is number 4 without -Pattinson or Cummins.

I'd want to have a look at Butters now before the Ashes, though.

Methinks this debating is useless anyway because I can see Watson coming in as a 4th seamer and Lyon playing at the WACA.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Would have thought Starc is the one who will come in for Patto.

On Bird, he surely has the numbers to be considered at some point. Hazlewood took 5 as well in the SA/Vic match, and he seems to be the next in line (after Starc) of the currently fit bowlers. Starc, Hilfy, Siddle, Watto, Lyon for Perth. Should get it done.

Would have thought Starc is the one who will come in for Patto.

Well, yeah. I think some are calling for four quicks still at the WACA.

Starc, Hilfy, Siddle, Watto, Lyon for Perth. Should get it done.

Exactly. :thumbsu:

Well, yeah. I think some are calling for four quicks still at the WACA.

Exactly. :thumbsu:
Needs less Starc and more Bird. CA need to stop picking on "potential" and actually reward form, or the Shield players will give up trying to impress when all they have to be is tall, left arm and under 25. (and from NSW)

Butterworth is in the top few for Shield wickets this season at an average of under 20, plus he adds a bit with the bat. I've never understood why he hasn't really been in contention. Hastings is up there too, and also adds a bit with the bat.

Bird's form is exceptional, but it might be too early to throw him up against a pretty strong batting lineup.

I don't think Bird would offer a lot on the test match wickets if he had a few extra yards off pace then yes I would pick him. He is another Copeland IMO.

Not even close. Copeland bowled 120's and Bird bowls mid 130's, which is fine. Copeland was also a workhorse where Bird operates in shorter spells.

Starc comes in for sure for Patto but if they do look for 4 quicks even at the WACA I think Bird is a better option than pies Johnson, going to go for a lot less for sure. Don't see the point playing Johnson if Starc is playing.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back