Jackson Bird

Remove this Banner Ad

Bird and Pattinson should be first two quicks picked for the Ashes.

Peter-Siddle-001.jpg

Our top 3 quicks are Patto, Siddle and then Bird, in that order. Bird has a long way to go before he can claim to be ahead of Siddle at Test level.

On their day, Johnson and Starc could easily be picked ahead of Bird.

That is why they shouldn't be though. 'On their day' they are weapons, but in a cut throat Ashes series (x2) there are up to 25 days cricket, the value of having a player capable of building pressure up one end is huge. Siddle can do this, but I genuinely think in what I've seen so fay, Bird will be better at it, if not already.

We have no shortage of guys who can bowl the odd unplayable ball, but they leak too many runs to keep the pressure on.

Imagine the fun Pattinson will have when English batsmen are struggling to score off Bird at the other end. I appreciate the value of Starc/MJ, but they are 4th in line for the test team IMO, particularly in England.

Our top 3 quicks are Patto, Siddle and then Bird, in that order. Bird has a long way to go before he can claim to be ahead of Siddle at Test level.

On their day, Johnson and Starc could easily be picked ahead of Bird.

See I would probably play 4 quicks in England and gamble a little on Clarke being our spinner, UNLESS it is a dead set raging turner. Our quicks are better, I would hate for Jackson Bird to be 12th man and Lyon playing, despite the fact that Lyon won't be anywhere near effective. I would also consider Josh Hazelwood at Lords with his bounce (if fit obviously)

He's taken more than any of the other guys you've mentioned.

I would be surprised if Beer hasn't taken more at least. O'Keefe and I do rate him has to get a spot as a batting all rounder, not as a spinner, he is no more a front line spinner as say Cameron White and we all found out how that went. I would rather take him over Maxwell as the batting all rounder

Im not so sure Siddle will be ahead of Bird come the Ashes. He's a workhorse Siddle but Bird is already showing more with the little time he's had with the ball. We've all been yearning for the next Warne but with Bird we're closer to the next McGrath than we've been since he retired.

I'd still like to see both in the side though. WIth the consisntency of those two, Patto will have less pressure on him and he can unleash his aggro on the English and show the world how talented he really is.

Starc/MJ are ******* weapons (particularly in England) but in an ideal world neither are higher than a 4th quick, too inconsistent to lead the attack for Tests.

Siddle's got a fair bit of credit in the bank. Plus, we haven't seen if Bird can be effective on day 4 or 5 pitches yet, whereas Siddle has shown the ability to dig deep and get those set batsmen out when they've needed it.

I would be surprised if Beer hasn't taken more at least. O'Keefe and I do rate him has to get a spot as a batting all rounder, not as a spinner, he is no more a front line spinner as say Cameron White and we all found out how that went. I would rather take him over Maxwell as the batting all rounder

Nope, O'Keefe is the leading wicket taker. And your comparison with White is atrocious. SOK is a front-line spinner who can bat a bit, not the other way around. He has consistently been the best spinner in domestic FC cricket for a few years now, and when given chances with Australia A has stepped up. While he may not be the prettiest bowler, he gets results, and in the absence of any other bowlers having any success, should definitely be Lyon's backup.

Nope, O'Keefe is the leading wicket taker. And your comparison with White is atrocious. SOK is a front-line spinner who can bat a bit, not the other way around. He has consistently been the best spinner in domestic FC cricket for a few years now, and when given chances with Australia A has stepped up. While he may not be the prettiest bowler, he gets results, and in the absence of any other bowlers having any success, should definitely be Lyon's backup.

O'Keefe is a dart bowler, not whilst it may work in India...he should be a top 6 batsman rather than being picked as a spinner. Technically his batting is better, he just doesn't spin or grip the ball enough (not saying the others do either). We found out picking straight breakers (White) don't cut it. I have no issue if O'Keefe come in for Hussey and bats 7 (with Wade or Paine at 6) though.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I have no issue if O'Keefe come in for Hussey and bats 7 (with Wade or Paine at 6) though.

Argh no. We'll need a deep batting line up to win over there, especially given the way we play spin half the time. Having a guy averaging 30 with 0 hundreds at 7 is asking for trouble.

This was the whole reason behind freeing up player movements between states a number of years back, it means that players from NSW & Victoria can move interstate to get regular first class cricket.

It works for all states, Wade & Triffet have had to move from Tassie to get a gig & have done well. It is interesting that 3 of the current Test team left NSW to get a better go interstate & have ended up playing for the Baggy greens. Thats either a statement as to the efficiency of our first class system, or that NSW has problems:eek:

I've not seen a bowler of such immaculate line and length since Jessica Marais was mentioned in the changerooms. Jackson Bird is the new generation of elite pace bowling, he is going to be very good - no, he is going to be the best...

....if they don't destroy him first.

It works for all states, Wade & Triffet have had to move from Tassie to get a gig & have done well. It is interesting that 3 of the current Test team left NSW to get a better go interstate & have ended up playing for the Baggy greens. Thats either a statement as to the efficiency of our first class system, or that NSW has problems:eek:
When did Lyon move to SA?
Also worth noting that Shane Watson went to Tassie as well to get his break, before going home to Qld and then to NSW. Of the current test team it is interesting reading of where they were born to which state they play for.

Warner NSW - NSW
Cowan NSW - TAS
Hughes NSW - SA
Watson QLD - NSW
Clarke NSW - NSW
Wade TAS - VIC
Johnson QLD - WA
Siddle VIC - VIC
Starc NSW - NSW
Lyon NSW - SA
Bird NSW - TAS

So only 4/11 play of the current test team play for their state of birth

O'Keefe is a dart bowler, not whilst it may work in India...he should be a top 6 batsman rather than being picked as a spinner. Technically his batting is better, he just doesn't spin or grip the ball enough (not saying the others do either). We found out picking straight breakers (White) don't cut it. I have no issue if O'Keefe come in for Hussey and bats 7 (with Wade or Paine at 6) though.

What are you basing this on? His bowling in the T20/ODI stuff? If so then that's just dumb. Have you ever seen him bowl in the long stuff? He's much more willing to throw it up, and he does actually get some spin. He bowled KP in the Aus A vs England game with a beautiful ball that dipped and spun (on a total greentop, no less) past the outside edge and took the top of off. He's very good at varying pace, flight and spin and teasing out edges.

O'Keefe is a dart bowler, not whilst it may work in India...he should be a top 6 batsman rather than being picked as a spinner. Technically his batting is better
If we pick someone who has never made a single first class century in the top 6 we should pack up and give it away

What are you basing this on? His bowling in the T20/ODI stuff? If so then that's just dumb. Have you ever seen him bowl in the long stuff? He's much more willing to throw it up, and he does actually get some spin. He bowled KP in the Aus A vs England game with a beautiful ball that dipped and spun (on a total greentop, no less) past the outside edge and took the top of off. He's very good at varying pace, flight and spin and teasing out edges.

One ball...I am sure Doherty has bowled one decent ball. Yes, I watch most FC games as I work near the SCG. So I have seen enough of O'Keefe in the longer form and I hate short form cricket so I rarely watch it. He does not turn it enough. I have seen enough of his batting to suggest he can bat 6 or 7 though and play as a batting all rounder. I see him as a better version of Maxwell.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back