Delisted Jackson Paine (2014-2016)

Remove this Banner Ad

Have been back and forth on Paine. Looks okay in patches but has a bit of the Cornelius's about him unfortunately. Hoping for the best as we need that third forward badly with Mcguane struggling for fitness.

At his height he needs to be able to get separation on the lead.

Despite all of the supposed knocks on Paine, I also have some optimism about him from my limited viewing of his outings this year.

Good mark and decent kick, he looks like he is really having a go, and you'd have to wonder why we bothered signing him if we're not prepared to give him at least 4 consecutive games to find his feet.

I wouldn't be against Paine and Close getting equal time between now and the end of the season to see who is travelling better, subject to them being given a run of games each to develop consistency.

I wouldn't be against Paine and Close getting equal time between now and the end of the season to see who is travelling better, subject to them being given a run of games each to develop consistency.

If there was one aspect of Voss' time in the seat that I found puzzling, it was his (apparent) reluctance to allow certain fringe players a few games on the trot to give them a chance to settle into the team. Always looked like Vossy had a "perform to predetermined parameters or you're out" approach to selections.

Leppa on the other hand appears to be taking a broader view, so I think there is a reasonable chance you'll get your wish.:thumbsu:

Despite all of the supposed knocks on Paine, I also have some optimism about him from my limited viewing of his outings this year.

Good mark and decent kick, he looks like he is really having a go, and you'd have to wonder why we bothered signing him if we're not prepared to give him at least 4 consecutive games to find his feet.

I agree with all of that, but I can't quite figure out what sort of footballer he is. Is he a leading full forward, a one-on-one full forward, a roaming half forward, or some sort of mixture?

He's in the unfortunate position where he probably doesn't have the phsyical upside to justify holding his spot for long periods if he's not performing. But Leppitsch has been prepared to back in the youngsters to this point so that bodes well for him.

I agree with all of that, but I can't quite figure out what sort of footballer he is. Is he a leading full forward, a one-on-one full forward, a roaming half forward, or some sort of mixture?

He's in the unfortunate position where he probably doesn't have the phsyical upside to justify holding his spot for long periods if he's not performing. But Leppitsch has been prepared to back in the youngsters to this point so that bodes well for him.

Nor can I just yet, which is why I want to have a good look at him in an effort to figure it out.

Sometimes a player plays so badly that it you just can't see them ever making it. Reminded me a bit of Collier with his ability to make errors in every facet of the game. Experiment as a defender = massive fail.

Sometimes a player plays so badly that it you just can't see them ever making it. Reminded me a bit of Collier with his ability to make errors in every facet of the game. Experiment as a defender = massive fail.
Yep, him Merrett and Clarke in the same backline made me hold my breath quite a few times.

Experiment as a defender means 1 quarter as the loose man and 1 quarter on a forward when our midfielder was getting annihilated?

Long term he's a forward but it's hard to judge his abilities on what happened last night.

When the whole team plays as horribly as they did last night it's a bit harsh to make big judgements on any individual.

He is a smart guy, and a great person from what I can see. And I really want him to succeed, but I'm finding it difficult to see our he will..

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Looks like the defender experiment is over. Struggling up forward too, but a small positive impact is preferable to a negative one. A lot of improvement required just to become a half-decent player.

Looks okay in patches but has a bit of the Cornelius's about him unfortunately.
Reminded me a lot of Cornelius on the weekend. Different attributes but same basic issue in that he just can't get any separation at all from his opponent. Still has a bit of time.

Great minds ;)

Was a hard game to judge him by, with West going down and Merrett rucking forced him to change his role a bit, including rucking himself on occasion. He has been able to kick a goal here and there which is promising, but he doesn't seem to be drawing a lot of the ball to him. I wouldn't mind seeing us play him from the square a bit more as an undersized FF, let Brown and Merrett move up the ground just a touch further, create some space behind and try get him one out in the square. See what he can do in that situation.

I think we need to persist with Jackson, the fact that Jamison played on him on Saturday night says something I believe.

Based on the limited evidence so far, hard to see what his biggest strengths are. But using Braddy as a measure, it can take a while for some key position players to believe in themselves and show they belong at this level. They are not all like Jack Darling. Maybe Paine could be tried at full back.

I was under the impression that his main strength was crashing packs- haven't seen much of that so far.

Based on the limited evidence so far, hard to see what his biggest strengths are. But using Braddy as a measure, it can take a while for some key position players to believe in themselves and show they belong at this level. They are not all like Jack Darling. Maybe Paine could be tried at full back.
Good to see the coaches are listening to me;)

Remove this Banner Ad

Back