Delisted Jackson Paine (2014-2016)

Remove this Banner Ad

whats he shown that everyone seems to be so keen on him? didnt look to have great skills or speed or anything in the games he played last year

Sounded like last pre-season he got his body in decent shape and increased his mobility which he had to do because he'll never be tall enough to play as a genuine key forward. Hopefully he can built his fitness and try and play a similar role to Darling.

Sounded like last pre-season he got his body in decent shape and increased his mobility which he had to do because he'll never be tall enough to play as a genuine key forward. Hopefully he can built his fitness and try and play a similar role to Darling.
wasnt he getting a crack as a key defender?

Paine is still a really nice size, 190 odd and very solid, takes nice contested marks. His problem has always been he is more suited as a 3rd tall, not one of the main bananas. He made massive gains in his running before his season was ruined with injury, if he can get that running power back, and play as a 3rd tall, running marking medium type forward, he could force his way into the team. For now, Freeman/Close will be the KPF, the 3rd spot is up in the air. McStay maybe has that role, but Paine could easily push his way into it. What happens with the ruck position next year will be interesting. I'd love to see it get back to the point of having 2 rucks in the team. Don't think you can carry 2 tall forward, a resting ruck and a 3rd tall. But if it gets back to being able to have a ruck on the bench rotating on and off, you might be able to work it.

Said he hasn't been offered a contract yet and he is a big chance to quit football and play with his mates at a recent OM's final.

You mean his contract that finishes at the end of next year?

I'm certain he said his contract finishes this year. He is in the last units of an Arts/commerce degree and he has been offered a job by the very connected OM network in Melbourne.

I'm certain he said his contract finishes this year. He is in the last units of an Arts/commerce degree and he has been offered a job by the very connected OM network in Melbourne.

Hmm, thought he came over on a 3 year deal. Could be wrong. Hope we give him at least another year to see if Injuries hold off.

Really disappointed that the club wasted No 2 pick on him, if they had to redraft him it should have been with their last pick. It's probably the only criticism I have with the drafting this year. For someone who has been in the system for as long as he has & still hasn't cut it, he didn't deserve pick 2 imo

Really disappointed that the club wasted No 2 pick on him, if they had to redraft him it should have been with their last pick. It's probably the only criticism I have with the drafting this year. For someone who has been in the system for as long as he has & still hasn't cut it, he didn't deserve pick 2 imo
It was our only live pick in the rookie draft. William was preselected as an Academy player and we had no other picks.

It was our last pick.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

It's awkward when people criticize the club when they just don't know the circumstances the club is in at all.

I like the pick for the fact that he will take the pressure off the kids for 12 months, it will be important for the development of Schache and others to have some physically mature players around...the twos hopefully will be very strong this year which can only be good for development purposes

No Paine, No Gain

Patience has become a critical part of Jackson Paine’s game.

In his two seasons at the Lions, Paine has been plagued by injury; his hopes of landing a senior game in the 2015 season were dashed early on as he struggled with a shoulder problem and later when ankle surgery in May ruled him out for the remainder of the season.

At season’s end Paine was given an AFL lifeline. He was delisted and the Club committed to re-drafting him as a rookie.

“Having faced my potential AFL career death, I guess it gave me a reality check on how hard to work this pre-season,” Paine told lions.com.au.

Reserves Wrap: V Redland

Pretty solid from Jacko in the contest. There were a couple of times when he was beaten one on one, probably more so in fast play with the opposition. He was solid in his spoiling and his ability to defend the area. He’ll continue to build some consistency in his game now. It’s good to see him back out on the park, moving well. What was really noticeable from the game was his instructional voice out on the paddock and his ability to instruct his teammates further up the field was good. It was fantastic leadership from him.

Reserves Wrap - Gold Coast Suns - 26/03/16 (Shane Woewodin’s comments)

Voted the Players’ Player for the week. Apart from the first 5-6 mins when Peter Wright took some marks on him he was probably our best of the day. In terms of his contest work, he had a lot of spoils on the day. He probably could have taken a few more intercept marks, but it was a solid defensive display from Jackson after skippering the side for the day.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back