Daniel McL

Brownlow Medallist
May 21, 2014
ACT
AFL Club
Geelong
Other Teams
Sydney Sixers

http://www.geelongadvertiser.com.au...ck-in-the-action/story-fnjuhrxq-1227312052645

Great to hear how passionate he is for the team.
Really hope he plays like he did on the weekend all year long & should be get a 3-year (maybe more)contract extension by the end of the year!
Really rate this guy.
Number 40's :hearts:

Really was amazing to see him play so well and confidently first up after the major interruption to his pre season, the lad has character, playing a game like that with no bench rotations and getting through it fitness wise, shows how little most of us know about the inner workings of the club and their training regimes. Full credit to the fitness team and JT himself to get back so quick!. Also what I liked was his ability to play on smalls and talls, one minute he was on a Matera and the next Gorringe or Day and handling either well defensively.

• Banned
Think he has shown already he is a naturally attacking half back / winger who uses the ball very well.
Maybe with Thurlow taking that position the MC might move Smedts forward where he should be!

With Thurlow, Bews and Guthrie down back it would give me a lot of confidence moving forward with the team. Guthrie has been so good in the midfield it's hard to take him away from there especially without that many others seemingly able to step in to his role.

But great sides are built from the defense, let's hope Thurlow can stay injury free and build on his game last week through the year.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Ohh I know he has the wave down pat... but working in a young tall is a lot harder. Just when do we do it? This week no Lonergan? Last week No Rivers? It would be a tough gig this week but this is afl , every week presents its challenges.

I'd give him a go this week as a second tall behind Taylor then play him as a third tall (instead of Rivers).

Have to say I have been very reserved about Thurlow….but his game on Sunday was very good….good foot skills, composure beyond his years.

Look forward to seeing more of him now….looks to have a touch of class.

With Thurlow, Bews and Guthrie down back it would give me a lot of confidence moving forward with the team. Guthrie has been so good in the midfield it's hard to take him away from there especially without that many others seemingly able to step in to his role.

But great sides are built from the defense, let's hope Thurlow can stay injury free and build on his game last week through the year.

Didn't Boris start off as a midfielder?
Could it be, the second coming?
Bloody hope so

He's one of our best users of the ball, in a 1 on 1, he kicks the ball to the advantage of his team mate rather then the general area.
Wish the other players would do the same...

I've only been paying closer attention for the last couple of years to the prospective draftees before draft day and found my gained "knowledge" was wasted :D

2012 Pick 16:
"Jackson Thurlow"
(Me: "Who?")

2013 Pick 16:
"Darcy Lang"

Turns out this Wells guy might know what he's doing. Whodathunkit?

Very impressed with Jackson first game back considering the type of injury, the time out. And great to hear how pumped and engaged he is, was worried last season that others may come sniffing around him. But plenty of games coming his way this season you suspect.

I've only been paying closer attention for the last couple of years to the prospective draftees before draft day and found my gained "knowledge" was wasted :D

2012 Pick 16:
"Jackson Thurlow"

2013 Pick 16:
"Darcy Lang"

Turns out this Wells guy might know what he's doing. Whodathunkit?

Very impressed with Jackson first game back considering the type of injury, the time out. And great to hear how pumped and engaged he is, was worried last season that others may come sniffing around him. But plenty of games coming his way this season you suspect.

I've got to stop following the phantom drafts, and watching U18 clips, I've pulled out too much of my hair the last three years. While they haven't been a Selwood, they look good.

Have to say I have been very reserved about Thurlow….but his game on Sunday was very good….good foot skills, composure beyond his years.

Look forward to seeing more of him now….looks to have a touch of class.

We all have players that appeal to us , and others who are appeal less. I have always like Thurlow from early on , his body shape has probably held him back but he must be close to playing a lot of games this year... much the same as Bews. Does thats affect Smedts? Does it affect the olders guys?

I hope the latter more than the former cause Smedts is another than needs games. Over all seeing those 3 and Guthire gives one a glimpse of the future , and that we are tracking reasonably well. Find a spot for a young tall and its just about right.

Last edited:
The thing with the 3 of them (Thurlow Bews Guthrie) is they are not that young as in they're not 18 they are ready to play AFL. And they'll continue to get better the more games they play, it's a very delicate process moving on the veterans.
And that's as big a deal in the backline than anywhere, I think in this aspect Scott and co would be criticized no matter what they do. But for how long they have Thurlow and other younger players would do well to learn as much as they can from their premiership and superstar teammates.

this is why Mackie will struggle to maintain his own from now on. Struggling to see him replacing Thurlow, and with Blicavs looking a lot better on talls in defence, perhaps Mackie may best looking elsewhere at seasons end.
GWS could always do with a Mackie-type across their half back flank.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back