Universal Love Jackson Trengove appreciation thread

Remove this Banner Ad

Hasnt he grown to be an absolute beauty. Touted to be a potential top-5 draft pick until he shredded his achilles, and we snagged him at pick 22 ... What a gamble! But the risk:reward ratio was huge, and has proved to be a brilliant move. To have him alongside Boak, Ebert, Hartlett, and Jonas as our young leaders!! Are you kidding me??? Locking in this core group of players is setting us up for a dynasty!! ***

*** Yeah I know ... getting ahead of myself a bit, but hell I am excited by what has, and is happening, at Alberton!!!

Hasnt he grown to be an absolute beauty. Touted to be a potential top-5 draft pick until he shredded his achilles, and we snagged him at pick 22 ... What a gamble! But the risk:reward ratio was huge, and has proved to be a brilliant move. To have him alongside Boak, Ebert, Hartlett, and Jonas as our young leaders!! Are you kidding me??? Locking in this core group of players is setting us up for a dynasty!! ***

*** Yeah I know ... getting ahead of myself a bit, but hell I am excited by what has, and is happening, at Alberton!!!
Didn't he tear the hamstring off the bone rather than the achilles?

He definitely was a super pick up, can't believe even with his injury that he slipped to as far as he did seeing as Emma Quayle rated him really high that year.

Top bloke off the field as well, you wouldn't meet a nicer guy apart from Hombschy of course who's apparently the nicest lad in SA lol.

Didn't he tear the hamstring off the bone rather than the achilles?

He definitely was a super pick up, can't believe even with his injury that he slipped to as far as he did seeing as Emma Quayle rated him really high that year.

Top bloke off the field as well, you wouldn't meet a nicer guy apart from Hombschy of course who's apparently the nicest lad in SA lol.
Thanks for the correction ... But "OUCH" ... not sure which is worse. He had post-operative complications too if I remember correctly. The patience & faith that Port showed in him has certainly paid off. And testament to his character, he has repaid the club with his loyalty!!

We are now tying up all our main players for the longer term, we want to see all the young future stars follow their example.

For the record

Port Adelaide leadership player Jackson Trengove will remain at Alberton until at least the end of 2017 after signing a contract extension.

23-year-old Trengove has played 91 games for Port Adelaide since debuting in 2010.

Absolutely loved the way he spoke, the greater concern for the 'team things' instead of the 'grabs' or individual glory.

You can also see he means it too - great mental space Ken and the coaching staff have the side in at the moment.

Super impressive

Well done Jackson - born leader :thumbsu:

Thanks for the correction ... But "OUCH" ... not sure which is worse. He had post-operative complications too if I remember correctly. The patience & faith that Port showed in him has certainly paid off. And testament to his character, he has repaid the club with his loyalty!!

We are now tying up all our main players for the longer term, we want to see all the young future stars follow their example.

The real issue was the nerve was damaged during the operation. Nobody was sure how badly until it healed. Basically his foot 'drooped' - he couldn't hold it up. Even when Port drafted him it wasn't 100%.

Anyway great news that he's staying, there is something special cooking at Port under Head Chef Ken.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Saw the season likely to slip away when he got injured. Carlile as well just exacerbated the problem. We're missing him badly, as we did last year - not just for his positional role but also on-field leadership

Got a nice write in last weekend's Weekend Australian

Trengove’s leadership badly missed by spluttering Port Adelaide
ANDREW FAULKNER THE AUSTRALIAN JULY 12, 2014
THERE are no shortage of theories to explain how and why Port Adelaide has come back to the pack.

Can’t play in the wet; too much of that silly South Australian handball; or simply, they were overrated anyway.

Well forget all that. The real reason Port has lost three of their past four games is the loss of a single player.

Yes, Jackson Trengove is Port Adelaide’s talisman. The evidence is compelling.

When Trengove was injured last year Port was 5-0. He missed the next five and suddenly they were 5-5. His return helped rally the side to play in the finals for the first time since the 2007 grand final fiasco.

Port was sitting proudly on top of the table when Trengove injured his ankle against Adelaide a fortnight ago. His loss has triggered a butterfly effect; you lose one player and suddenly there is chaos all around.

Trengove has not only held down centre-half-back this season, he has been thrown into the ruck to give Matthew Lobbe a spell.

Without Trengove, that role has fallen to Justin Westhoff, who has been seconded from his key role as Ken Hinkley’s designated swingman.

Hinkley used Westhoff like this: when Port’s A graders were on the ball, Travis Boak and Brad Ebert, Westhoff would sneak forward. When the lesser lights had their turn in the middle, Westhoff would trot down to be an extra man in defence.

So Westhoff’s changed role has meant someone else has had to fill the breach, and so another domino falls …

But there is more to Trengove’s loss. Port appears to be sorely missing his on-field leadership.

“He’s not just significant on game day, he’s significant through the week, around the club and with the players in setting standards on what we expect of players who play for Port Adelaide,” Hinkley said before Trengove’s latest injury.

“He’s one of those blokes who helps others get to the level they need to.”

This explains the extraordinary TV vision from the Port rooms at half-time of their clash with Essendon last week.

There was Trengove, on crutches and in a moon boot, exhorting his teammates to lift.

“Keep your feet”, he barked to young backman Jarman Impey.

“It’ll turn, it’ll turn, it’ll turn,” he assured his teammates.

Casual viewers must have wondered why Port had appointed so young a coach, for Hinkley was nowhere to be seen. It seemed over the top, but such is the strength of Trengove’s personality, and such is the depth of his influence.

Critics such as Cam Mooney have pinpointed the lack of a hulking power forward as a major Power weakness. As such, Trengove has also pinch-hitted as a forward to try to create crumbs for Chad Wingard, Angus Monfries and Robbie Gray.

But all that is gone, for now, as Port muddle on without Trengove, who is expected to miss another month.

Of course there is more to Port’s correction — and at this stage it is no more than that — than Trengove’s loss. Alipate Carlile’s injury has compounded the Power’s troubles, although Tom Jonas and Jack Hombsch stood up to hold Essendon to only 62 points, albeit in damp conditions.

and this bit at the end was good

There is another problem swirling around in all this. If Port are to threaten in September they would hope to solve the mystery of their players’ achilles heel; that is, their ankles. Trengove, Wingard, Monfries — who is out again tomorrow, this time courtesy of hamstring tightness — Boak, Jared Polec and Hamish Hartlett have all missed games with ankle injuries this season.

The spate has led Hinkley to quip he is considering doing the pre-game ankle strapping himself. Perhaps he should delegate it to Trengove.

The article quoted didn't mention the writer, but I may take some more notice of this particular journalist, as this is what I have been saying to the naysayers I come across.

Have a lot of love and respect for this boy (he's still a boy to me, at my age :D ). So much so that my teenage son points out any clanger he may do just to p*ss me off. Little bast*rd !

Have met his parents through a mutual friend and am confidant he is going to be a one club player.

Great post, thanks.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back