Jacques Kallis reopens death penalty debate

Remove this Banner Ad

Todman

Norm Smith Medallist
Aug 7, 2004
AFL Club
Hawthorn
"Jacques Kallis has called for a debate on the restoration of the death penalty in South Africa after the murder of a former first-class cricketer with strong links to the team.

John Commins, the uncle of a former Test player with the same name, and father of a players' agent, was killed on Wednesday night. Flags at Newlands were flown at half-mast on the second day of the Test match against New Zealand in his honour.

Kallis posted a message on twitter after the day's play which read: "Thoughts and prayers with @DonneCommins and family. Tragic news. Something really has to be done about the crime in this country #deathpenalty."

Donne Commins, daughter of the murdered man, is the agent of many prominent players including Morne and Albie Morkel, Herschelle Gibbs and Mark Boucher, Kallis' best friend who was forced to retire after a freak eye injury last July.

Boucher was due to enjoy a farewell parade on the third day of the Test, which he has asked to postpone because of the murder.

Cricket South Africa had planned to honour Boucher on his career and help promote his Save the Rhino foundation which is focused on anti-poaching. He was also going to conduct media interviews for only the second time since his retirement. Instead, Boucher's tribute will now be held next month during the Pakistan Test in Cape Town.

"Donne has been very close to me for most of my career and has been much more to me than a business partner," Boucher said in a statement. "She has been incredibly supportive over the past few months in particular during which time she has been a tremendous pillar of support."

The South African sporting community has been rocked by two deaths in the space of two days: Commins, who played 10 first-class matches for Western Province, and Olympic cyclist Burry Stander who was killed in a hit-and-run accident while on his bicycle in Kwa-Zulu Natal."

http://www.espncricinfo.com/southafrica/content/story/599604.html

killing is....... to kill more."
Justice channelling vengeance?

PARK Chan-Wook
Simpafee 4 Kim Chee

SYMPATHY-FOR-LADY-VENGEANCE.jpg

Something has to change in South Africa to whilst the police are reporting a 25% drop in the murder rate over the last 8 years to 15,000 last year, it is still massively high 30.9 per 100,000 http://www.saps.gov.za/statistics/reports/crimestats/2012/categories.htm (Australia 1.2 per 100,000) and this is purely a murder figure which many experts believe is not fully reported.

The police and justice systems in South Africa don't work, per 1000 crimes only in 430 cases is somebody arrested and in only 77 of 1000 is someone convicted.

South Africa is a basket case and if reinstating the death penalty decreases the murder rate then its a good thing and worth a try.

Something has to change in South Africa to whilst the police are reporting a 25% drop in the murder rate over the last 8 years to 15,000 last year, it is still massively high 30.9 per 100,000 http://www.saps.gov.za/statistics/reports/crimestats/2012/categories.htm (Australia 1.2 per 100,000) and this is purely a murder figure which many experts believe is not fully reported.

The police and justice systems in South Africa don't work, per 1000 crimes only in 430 cases is somebody arrested and in only 77 of 1000 is someone convicted.

South Africa is a basket case and if reinstating the death penalty decreases the murder rate then its a good thing and worth a try.

I've lived in Cape Town on a few occasions. When I lived there they actually had a moratorium on crime statistics as the murder rates were so high. You'd get an inkling of them as press people, but they could never be reported. It was astonishing. And if you're ever in a town called Atlantis on the Eastern Cape: don't stop your car, grab anything you could use possibly use as a weapon and get the hell out of there. Used to be the murder capital of South Africa.

I've lived in Cape Town on a few occasions. When I lived there they actually had a moratorium on crime statistics as the murder rates were so high. You'd get an inkling of them as press people, but they could never be reported. It was astonishing. And if you're ever in a town called Atlantis on the Eastern Cape: don't stop your car, grab anything you could use possibly use as a weapon and get the hell out of there. Used to be the murder capital of South Africa.
Got a very good friend who I lived with in Edinburgh, was from Eastern Cape, left and has never been back, his siblings live in Cape Town and parents moved to Port Elizabeth. He said whilst it sounds stupid to non-SA he is much safer in Harare.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

While it may not be a detterent to crimes of passion or those commited by psychopaths.
It may be a detterent to murders commited by organized crime syndicates.

Anyone who harms a defenseless child deserves a firing squad IMO.

I think your hypothetical is just that. We are talking Reva Steenkamp and the Saffa runner no?

Can you tell me what differentiates my 80 yo gran from a child. Aren't all lives a world unto themself?

We all know that 'death' by media can happen but really, in a country where death happens with the slightest provocation is no longer progress.

It doesn't progress society other than eliminating a few unfortunate human beings.

I will say that he is my current fave SA player but really, this is never going to fly.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back