Jacqui Lambie Watch

Remove this Banner Ad

If she can fashion herself as "Doing it for Tasmania" and tone down the idiotic side she's a fair chance to get reelected in 2019. She's already had more publicity than most senators can dream of.

Danger is if the post-2016 Senate makes her irrelevant.
Would be amazed if the post-2016 Senate makes the independents irrelevant, we'll still have Lambie, both remaining PUP Senators, Leyonhjelm, Muir, Xenophon and his FF buddy, so that gives us 7 cross benches hard to see ALP/Greens or Coalition getting control with those there.

Agree she is a defintie chance to get relected though, the Tassie electorate has always been a funny place and they have no problems in voting for independents.

Would be amazed if the post-2016 Senate makes the independents irrelevant, we'll still have Lambie, both remaining PUP Senators, Leyonhjelm, Muir, Xenophon and his FF buddy, so that gives us 7 cross benches hard to see ALP/Greens or Coalition getting control with those there.

Agree she is a defintie chance to get relected though, the Tassie electorate has always been a funny place and they have no problems in voting for independents.

Saying that the Tassie electorate is a funny place is a bit odd coming from Queensland. I think Qld takes the political cake for the strange characters that it has produced:p

Leyonhjelm is an interesting bloke. His chief advisor is Helen dumbedenko who had been living in blighty for quite some time, who is involved in the Australian skeptics. Helen is not the most honest banana in the bunch. Lied about her ancestory in her book 'the hand that signed the paper".

Being a lawyer and a liar, she should be in the senate.

But her boss doesn't know if he's Arthur or Martha. Against the MRRT but also against direct action. Wants minimal gov but completely unaware that America had that and the result, multi nationals are out of control.

Is the sitting term of Senators (6 years) too long?
As much as I am going to enjoy the discomfort this current government may go through, I think that it makes governing extremely difficult, also if voted in on a party ticket, should they be allowed to resign and then sit as an Independent?
I believe that most people vote for a party in the Senate and not for an individual (excl Xenophon).

Interesting questions.

I would prefer federal politics moves to 5 year terms rather than 3 but hadn't considered the senate. maybe marrying that to 5 years is about right.

I would also prefer the ballots just have the peoples names rather than the party so it is clear they are voting a representative rather than a party.

Interesting questions.

I would prefer federal politics moves to 5 year terms rather than 3 but hadn't considered the senate. maybe marrying that to 5 years is about right.

I would also prefer the ballots just have the peoples names rather than the party so it is clear they are voting a representative rather than a party.
What about 4 year terms with half Senate election mid term USA style. Whilst there is a lot about USA politics I dislike in their way it operates, the idea of mid-term Senate elections is actually one I do like.

Lambie lied about voting against the government until they agree to the adf pay rise, she just voted with the government

What about 4 year terms with half Senate election mid term USA style. Whilst there is a lot about USA politics I dislike in their way it operates, the idea of mid-term Senate elections is actually one I do like.

that would probably work but I think we all agree 3 years is not long enough for governments to implement policy thus policy is shoved through with a fix it later mentality. Of course, like the GST and other rushed and compromised policies it never does get fixed.

also if voted in on a party ticket, should they be allowed to resign and then sit as an Independent?
I believe that most people vote for a party in the Senate and not for an individual (excl Xenophon).
When a labour senate seat became available a few years back Gillard got to pick a replacement being Bob Carr. From that point I thought the party owned the seat and not the individual. From today's events that isn't the case.

When a labour senate seat became available a few years back Gillard got to pick a replacement being Bob Carr. From that point I thought the party owned the seat and not the individual. From today's events that isn't the case.
That is what I thought too but didn't they leave the senate?

Did you see him on Insiders? What a f***ing dolt, Mathias Cormann is a good bloke who can count to six apparently.

I thought his views on Lambie and Ricky Muir were instructive.

http://www.aph.gov.au/Help/FAQs/Senate_FAQs

3. What happens if a senator resigns or dies before his or her term expires?

When a casual vacancy occurs in the Senate, on the resignation or death of a senator, a new senator is appointed by the parliament of the state which the former senator represented. If the state or territory parliament is not sitting, an appointment can be made by the Governor of the state ( or in the case of an Australian Capital Territory senator, the Governor-General, or the Administrator in the case of the Northern Territory) and the appointment is confirmed by the parliament when next it assembles.

In order that the Senate continue to preserve the representation of parties in the Senate as determined by the electors, the new senator must be of the same political party or group as the senator he is replacing. It is a matter of contention whether this means that the appointee must be the nominee of the political party or whether it suffices that he or she is a member of that party.
[Senate Brief No. 1, Electing Australia's Senators]

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Australian Constitution - Section 15 - Casual vacancies
If the place of a senator becomes vacant before the expiration of his term of service, the Houses of Parliament of the State for which he was chosen shall, sitting and voting together, choose a person to hold the place until the expiration of the term, or until the election of a successor as herein-after provided, whichever first happens. But if the Houses of Parliament of the State are not in session at the time when the vacancy is notified, the Governor of the State, with the advice of the Executive Council thereof, may appoint a person to hold the place until the expiration of fourteen days after the beginning of the next session of the Parliament of the State, or until the election of a successor, whichever first happens.

At the next general election of members of the House of Representatives, or at the next election of senators for the State, whichever first happens, a successor shall, if the term has not then expired, be chosen to hold the place from the date of his election until the expiration of the term.

The name of any senator so chosen or appointed shall be certified by the Governor of the State to the Governor-General.

More about Clive but may explain lambie's desire to part ways:

Police confirm Palmer investigation
WA Police have confirmed reports they are investigating allegations of fraud against billionaire Clive Palmer, using material supplied by his estranged business partner Citic Pacific Mining.

Australian Constitution - Section 15 - Casual vacancies
If the place of a senator becomes vacant before the expiration of his term of service, the Houses of Parliament of the State for which he was chosen shall, sitting and voting together, choose a person to hold the place until the expiration of the term, or until the election of a successor as herein-after provided, whichever first happens. But if the Houses of Parliament of the State are not in session at the time when the vacancy is notified, the Governor of the State, with the advice of the Executive Council thereof, may appoint a person to hold the place until the expiration of fourteen days after the beginning of the next session of the Parliament of the State, or until the election of a successor, whichever first happens.

At the next general election of members of the House of Representatives, or at the next election of senators for the State, whichever first happens, a successor shall, if the term has not then expired, be chosen to hold the place from the date of his election until the expiration of the term.

The name of any senator so chosen or appointed shall be certified by the Governor of the State to the Governor-General.
Thanks for that.

So what would happen if an independent senator died in office. Would be interesting to see a state parliament select someone independent.

More about Clive but may explain lambie's desire to part ways:

Police confirm Palmer investigation
WA Police have confirmed reports they are investigating allegations of fraud against billionaire Clive Palmer, using material supplied by his estranged business partner Citic Pacific Mining.
What? Clive is not as straight as a die? Nah, not Clive! He's a man of the ordinary people, I mean look at all the ordinary people he surrounded himself with in the Palmer United Party!

If they ain't ordinary, I don't know what is. He's too ordinary to be a fraudster, alleged or otherwise.

The only mistake Clive has made was recruiting that intellectual giant Jacqui Lambie, apart from that, he's as clean as a whistle.

According to Clive today PUP had Lambie on the payroll as a full time employee for the six months this year before she took her seat in senate. Says she continued to take disability payments from Centrelink.

Did Clive have Lambie sign an employment contract/ The saga continues.
Love to see them both in stir and forever unable to run for office again.

that would probably work but I think we all agree 3 years is not long enough for governments to implement policy thus policy is shoved through with a fix it later mentality. Of course, like the GST and other rushed and compromised policies it never does get fixed.
totally agree, 3 years creates a massive problem where the time to legislate and do something is so short before campaigning restarts. It takes almost 6 months to get things through another 6 months before any real action from that can be started and it will be two years before results start to be shown. It is a huge problem for both parties and I'm surprised that they haven't sat down together and changed it to 4 years.

totally agree, 3 years creates a massive problem where the time to legislate and do something is so short before campaigning restarts. It takes almost 6 months to get things through another 6 months before any real action from that can be started and it will be two years before results start to be shown. It is a huge problem for both parties and I'm surprised that they haven't sat down together and changed it to 4 years.
What can you do? They had a referendum on 4 year terms and it was defeated.

I'd vote for this.

Happy to stand corrected, because I don't really know, but isn't the term and makeup of the Senate written in to the Constitution?

I'd vote for this.

Happy to stand corrected, because I don't really know, but isn't the term and makeup of the Senate written in to the Constitution?
Yes. If you can be bothered enough to read the below link, it is a parliamentary paper on changing to 4 year terms detail pros and cons, it also briefly dicusses the option of 5 year terms, but settles on the fact that 4 year terms would be benefical.

http://www.aph.gov.au/About_Parliam...s/Parliamentary_Library/pubs/rp/rp0001/01RP04

Remove this Banner Ad

Back