Jacqui Lambie Watch

Remove this Banner Ad

Several Islamic groups and individuals in Australia have called for aspects of Sharia law to be introduced as a parallel legal system. Some might consider that any such introduction might be the thin edge of the wedge. However any such attempt would most likely be regarded as unconstitutional. See below.

Lambie's essential argument was: "Anybody supporting or calling for sharia law in Australia can get out. Simple as that."

The Australian Constitution does not allow the introduction of sharia law and any attempt to do so would/could be challenged as constitutionally illegal.

However that does not stop certain Muslim groups calling for certain aspects of Sharia law to be legally introduced. For example, in 2011 the Australian Federation of Islamic Councils made a submission to the Federal Parliament's Committee on Multicultural Affairs asking for Muslims to be able to marry, divorce and conduct financial transactions under the principles of sharia law. Those marriage laws include Nikah, Taliq divorce and polygyny amongst others. Marriage is permitted when sexual and mental maturity is reached, most often considered to be with the onset of puberty. A guardian is permitted to marry off their children before marriage without consent.

In 2010, the Australian Islamic Mission's president, Dr Zachariah Matthews, also called for aspects of sharia law to function as a parallel legal system to Australia's. I doubt that would happen, as it could be challenged constitutionally.

The other concern is that some of the more extreme in the Muslim community, regard Sharia Law as divine law revealed in the Quran and Sunnah, as superior to Australian law in matters of criminal and civil justice.

However Sharia Law also requires Muslims to comply with the laws of their countries of residence. Section 116 of the Constitution establishes freedom of religious practice. No authority, religious or otherwise can force a Muslim to abide by, or abandon, any personal religious laws, unless deemed illegal by Australian law. Aspects of sharia law already exist in Australia, where it complies (or does not contravene) existing Australian law. Other aspects of sharia law, for example, punishments for apostasy or blasphemy are already illegal in Australia and any attempt by Muslims to enforce them on other Muslims or non-Muslims in Australia as part of sharia law would be dealt with by the police and the courts. In those Australian courts the testimony of Muslim men and women would be given the same weight.

Excellent Roy, thanks.

Whilst that's true at the Commonwealth level, my understanding has been that it does not necessarily dictate that must be the same case at the state level. It only concerns the federal level, and leaves the door open so to speak. Australia and something like the US differ subtly on the issue, both with their pros and cons.
Whatever it isn't going to happen.

If we have separation of church & state, why do we allow the confession box to be sacrosanct. Why should an admission of a crime or crimes be protected because it is done before a priest in a wooden box? We have enough problems with the 'logic' & fairness of our laws without that ancient rubbish being allowed to continue.

I actually support Jacqui Lambie on this one. We call ourselves a secular society but we aren't. But if it is good enough for France to ban the wearing of full face veils then why not do the same in Australia. I can't walk into a bank with a motorcycle helmet on, but a woman with a full face veil on can.

There is no mention in the Qaran of the need for a full face veils like the Burqa or Niqab, only for women to dress with modesty.

I actually support Jacqui Lambie on this one. We call ourselves a secular society but we aren't. But if it is good enough for France to ban the wearing of full face veils then why not do the same in Australia. I can't walk into a bank with a motorcycle helmet on, but a woman with a full face veil on can.

There is no mention in the Qaran of the need for a full face veils like the Burqa or Niqab, only for women to dress with modesty.

I'm with ya. The spate of burqa-cad bank robbers in this country is outta control. While we're at it let's get rid of stockings

Most Sharia law is derived from the 'Mullahs' interpretation of the Koran. So apart from being based on that piece if writing, most of it is made up of 'scholarly' opinion. Also on the opinion of all sorts of fundamentalist fruit cakes over the years.
I guess at least with the fundamental bible nutters, they are controlled by our system of common law. The Koran based nut cakes unfortunately have no one controlling whatever opinion they & their AK47 toting boys feel like at the time.

Ibid; Fruitcake=nutters=nut cakes.:cool:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Well to a great degree we do. Church seeks to have influence & it does, but to a minimal extent, I think/hope.:rolleyes:

Having had a couple of 'Churchy' guys as PMs recently does worry me a bit. This current lot have too many of that type for me to feel comfortable.

Sure, go to Church, Mosque, Synagogue or whatever, whenever you like, but dont impose that stuff on the Nation via the Parliament, or by the 'executive'.

Having countries run by Religious organisation is a bloody disaster. They generally have the worst of human rights & conditions for people to live & thrive in.

As a female, I am totally embarrassed by her. Imagine if a male Senator has said something similar about his female fantasy - would be crucified. Shakes head.
I'm embarrassed by her as a human being.
Worse still she is a Queenslander.
Joh would have jailed her for being and illegal assembly.

It's a bit like the Gina hypothetical - there's always one who'd go there just to have a story to tell at parties.
They should stick to donkeys then...or camels.

Forgot to put her phone on silent while giving a speech in the senate.. Lol what a joke.

I know it's a minor thing but seriously you don't see many others doing stuff like that. She is utter garbage.
Much worse than licking your fingers to turn the page.

Jacqui Lambie: another of Rudd's legacies to Australia.
Don't forget she is indigenous so no matter whether you like her not its good to see our indigenous people gain more representatives in parliament so allowances should be made for her.

Don't forget she is indigenous so no matter whether you like her not its good to see our indigenous people gain more representatives in parliament so allowances should be made for her.
Are you f*****g tripping or what mate?

What does it matter what race, colour, creed one is? If you are a f*****g dumb rag/knob whose utterances are nothing more than ignorant prattle, then you are a f*****g dumb rag/knob. Bigots come in all colours and creeds. They are not specific to one race.

Are you f*****g tripping or what mate?

What does it matter what race, colour, creed one is? If you are a f*****g dumb rag/knob whose utterances are nothing more than ignorant prattle, then you are a f*****g dumb rag/knob. Bigots come in all colours and creeds. They are not specific to one race.

fB19z.gif

Jacqui to the rescue of Putin.
In a Facebook post, PUP Senator Jacqui Lambie said Mr Abbott and Mr Shorten were behaving like "hormone affected schoolboys trying to out-macho each other on the footie field".
"Start acting like mature leaders of a great country," she wrote.
Ms Lambie also praised Mr Putin's "no-nonsense attitude" to Islamic extremism.
"And unlike most Australian political leaders there's no BS about him," she wrote.
http://www.smh.com.au/federal-polit...gry-reaction-from-russia-20141014-115lox.html

Remove this Banner Ad

Back