Rumour Jaeger O'Meara to Hawks 2017.

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Yeah, fair enough. They could play hard ball like Essendon did with Carlisle.

I massively massively rate O'Meara (as I'm sure most do), and I can't see Gold Coast taking any less than a Top-5 pick for him plus another first rounder... he is (potentially) that good!
Hawthorn's track record in recent years has been that deals get done quietly and early. Gold Coast obviously aren't going to want to lose a player of that caliber but it sounds like they're already quite aware what the signs indicate and so by trade period they'll have already resigned themselves to him leaving, and have a fair idea of what they realistically hope to get in a trade. They'll say they want a top 5 pick, we'll offer our (likely late) first rounder as well as next years first rounder, they'll say it's not enough, and then we'll counter with a swap of later picks (for their bidding points - either for themselves or an on-trade) and/or a fringe player they might need for their list balance. And this will likely be worked out in early October and the trade done on day one or two of the trade period. They'll publicly say they're disappointed he left but they're happy with the trade even if they're not.

This is all assuming there is any truth to this rumour of course.

Hawthorn's track record in recent years has been that deals get done quietly and early. Gold Coast obviously aren't going to want to lose a player of that caliber but it sounds like they're already quite aware what the signs indicate and so by trade period they'll have already resigned themselves to him leaving, and have a fair idea of what they realistically hope to get in a trade. They'll say they want a top 5 pick, we'll offer our (likely late) first rounder as well as next years first rounder, they'll say it's not enough, and then we'll counter with a swap of later picks (for their bidding points - either for themselves or an on-trade) and/or a fringe player they might need for their list balance. And this will likely be worked out in early October and the trade done on day one or two of the trade period. They'll publicly say they're disappointed he left but they're happy with the trade even if they're not.

This is all assuming there is any truth to this rumour of course.

I expect a deal to look more like the Shaun Burgoyne trade than the Gunston one, you just need to figure out who you can trade to Essendon (or other) for a top pick to on-trade to Gold Coast before they turn into a dud.

This is a big problem with the AFL if the most powerful club of the last 3 years can just swoop in and take a rising gun from a small club. It is really not good for equalisation.
What's the issue?
It will cost them salary cap space and since he won't be a FA they will most likely have to trade for him, so it will cost them a fair bit there too.

What's the issue?
It will cost them salary cap space and since he won't be a FA they will most likely have to trade for him, so it will cost them a fair bit there too.

It doesn't cost them the salary cap space IT SHOULD though. Clubs like Hawthorn and Geelong have a 'pay scale' whereby players get paid unders, but can offer the chance of success. Not their fault, kudos to them for being strong... but it sort of renders the salary cap irrelevant.

Minimum salary cap payments are 95%... that means the entire Melbourne list (for example) gets paid about $500,000 less than what the entire Hawthorn list gets paid. It is one reason why minimum salary cap payments need to be scrapped. It is a flawed system.

It doesn't cost them the salary cap space IT SHOULD though. Clubs like Hawthorn and Geelong have a 'pay scale' whereby players get paid unders, but can offer the chance of success. Not their fault, kudos to them for being strong... but it sort of renders the salary cap irrelevant.

Minimum salary cap payments are 95%... that means the entire Melbourne list (for example) gets paid about $500,000 less than what the entire Hawthorn list gets paid. It is one reason why minimum salary cap payments need to be scrapped. It is a flawed system.
Agree minimum salary cap is set too high.

I don't really care if the Hawks can pull these sorts of players. If you win three flags in a row and have a good, fun, hard-working, working-class image like Hawthorn Football Club have, why wouldn't Gunston and Frawley and O'Meara want to sign up?

It's a bit different to Sydney having an unfair advantage and being able to lure players on purely financial terms (only Buddy really half came over for the anonymity).

Win a few flags off the back of a few lean years, great recruiting, and smart coaches, and you deserve to be able to land hyped up talent (probably) on the cheap. Half yer luck.
Hawthorn is working class?

wat?

The fact that the rumour out there is saying hawthorn, tells me that it is not. Very few of the hawthorn trades are common knowledge before they occur
Some are though. Lake was rumoured to be in our sights for years (we just couldn't get him), Frawley was rumoured to be coming to us (the Geelong rumour was simply louder), even O'Rourke was known before it happened.

McEvoy was a last minute one. Gunston was a well kept secret though.

I can see Hawthorn target Ollie Wines.

I can see us going for Wines or O'Meara - whoever is the easier trade. And depending on how many retirements, possibly both.

But O'Meara has to actually be fit. He has missed a LOT of footy.

Hawks will have their hook and bait out for a number of players and will have had it out for others who recently went to other clubs instead. We'll get someone though.

Yep. We wont know what plan Clarko and Wright have until Clarko and Wright make their move(s).

2x late first rounders could move you into that territory if traded with a club wanting to get bidding points - assuming that loop hole isn't closed. Perhaps it would even appeal to Gold Coast themselves for that very purpose if they have any players.

With all the players trying to leave the northern states you would think they would pin their hopes on Academy kids who are less likely to move. So 2 high 1st rounders may be worth more points than a #4 or #5 pick.

Other, later picks would be to entice older players who are happy to take the $$$. Or they just go for Free Agents.

Im pretty sure Carlton players were on more money than Hawthorn because we were under 100% last year.

Agree minimum salary cap is set too high.
I believe the salary cap should be linked in some way to the % on the ladder. Set a 100% amount. Pay up to 110% for teams that have over 100% at the end of the year. Set a bottom limit of say 80% and pay according to the clubs % below 100%.

It will help ensure teams play out the season and also games to the best of their abilities if players know it impacts their salary.

Some are though. Lake was rumoured to be in our sights for years (we just couldn't get him), Frawley was rumoured to be coming to us (the Geelong rumour was simply louder), even O'Rourke was known before it happened.

McEvoy was a last minute one. Gunston was a well kept secret though.
There was no rumour surrounding Lakes trade. Hawks openly chased him around 2010 and couldn't strike a deal. If only we had him in 2012.....

There was no rumour surrounding Lakes trade. Hawks openly chased him around 2010 and couldn't strike a deal. If only we had him in 2012.....
There was talk every year for years but it started to die off likely because people thought it would never happen. Just like the Johnathon Brown to Collingwood rumours.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

So you want to punish the good teams for managing their lists well?
Hmm..good logic...

Only if his leg needed amputation.
Collingwood got Treloar and pick 28 for picks 7, 65 and their 1st rounder in 2016. That's not a hell of a lot more than what I've suggested for a player that is also out of contract, will potentially name the club as his sole destination, and has also done less and missed a year with a serious injury.

Not if Hawks finish top 4 they'll be asking for at least a top 10 pick.
Your right, the pick next year is fine it's this year's pick that will be the problem With top 4 on the cards.
Hawthorn may need to trade it's 1st and a player to a mid range club for there 1st.

I think gc in the end push come to shove will settle (not be happy) with a top 10 pick and a future 1st Rd pick.

Sent from my E6653 using Tapatalk

I expect a deal to look more like the Shaun Burgoyne trade than the Gunston one, you just need to figure out who you can trade to Essendon (or other) for a top pick to on-trade to Gold Coast before they turn into a dud.
Exactly what I'm thinking.

Sent from my E6653 using Tapatalk

Collingwood got Treloar and pick 28 for picks 7, 65 and their 1st rounder in 2016. That's not a hell of a lot more than what I've suggested for a player that is also out of contract, will potentially name the club as his sole destination, and has also done less and missed a year with a serious injury.

Are you assuming the Hawks will drop significantly down the ladder? Pick 7 and maybe pick 10 (plus irrelevant pick) not a hell of a lot more than pick 19 and say pick 17? And O'Meara is a much much better player than Treloar, injuries aside. And as you saw with Treloar because he was going to a Vic club, his price was pushed up due to other clubs bidding for him.

Are you assuming the Hawks will drop significantly down the ladder? Pick 7 and maybe pick 10 (plus irrelevant pick) not a hell of a lot more than pick 19 and say pick 17? And O'Meara is a much much better player than Treloar, injuries aside. And as you saw with Treloar because he was going to a Vic club, his price was pushed up due to other clubs bidding for him.
You're not wrong but I doubt O'Meara will fetch a hight price then Treloar with the nature of his injury history and all.
hawks will need to mimic the Burgoyne trade, trade up our 1st this year and give a second 1st round (our 1st next year).

This is a big problem with the AFL if the most powerful club of the last 3 years can just swoop in and take a rising gun from a small club. It is really not good for equalisation.

Still waiting for you to back up your claim that most of our backline was procured via free agency. It's always funny to watch you throw all your toys out of the pram whenever Hawthorn is discussed - and your hypocrisy is quite amusing too!

I don't really care if the Hawks can pull these sorts of players. If you win three flags in a row and have a good, fun, hard-working, working-class image like Hawthorn Football Club have, why wouldn't Gunston and Frawley and O'Meara want to sign up?

It's a bit different to Sydney having an unfair advantage and being able to lure players on purely financial terms (only Buddy really half came over for the anonymity).

Win a few flags off the back of a few lean years, great recruiting, and smart coaches, and you deserve to be able to land hyped up talent (probably) on the cheap. Half yer luck.

Wow. Just Wow.

You're not wrong but I doubt O'Meara will fetch a hight price then Treloar with the nature of his injury history and all.
hawks will need to mimic the Burgoyne trade, trade up our 1st this year and give a second 1st round (our 1st next year).

I think actually thats either unders or overs, depending on how he goes this year. If he gets on the park and shows the form (or near to it) he has shown in the AFL so far, he will be very expensive ie you would have to trade someone you don't want to trade to get in the game. Not sure you have much in the way of excess players that would fetch much (outside best 22). But if he doesn't get on the park this year or does so poorly, value will come down significantly. Might be a Luke Ball type reduction in playing style.

GC will be asking for a lot don't think Hawks will have the trade currency will need to get other clubs involved to get the picks that will satisfy GC.
What if the Hawks have a Shocker of a year(injury wise) and miss the 8?

So you want to punish the good teams for managing their lists well?
Hmm..good logic...

Where did I say that? Perhaps read a comment before shooting from the hip with dribble.

I said 'Kudos' to the better teams... however, we should remove the MINIMUM salary in order to level things out. Why should a list of perennial cellar-dwellers be paid the same as a team on the verge of a potential 'four-peat'?

Where did I say that? Perhaps read a comment before shooting from the hip with dribble.

I said 'Kudos' to the better teams... however, we should remove the MINIMUM salary in order to level things out Why should a list of perennial cellar-dwellers be paid the same as a team on the verge of a potential 'four-peat'?
We had this very problem back in 2004
Our guys were being paid equal to Port Adelaide, who won the flag, and were consistently in the top 4 in that time

Our solution was to trade out players, and rebuild via the draft

It works beautifully if you nail the draft, but it bites you hard if you don't

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back