Jaeger O'Meara

Remove this Banner Ad

Head Start for O'Meara.
"I'm sure the guys in the draft this year are a bit jealous of me being able to come to a club a year early.

"It's definitely given me time to develop my body and spend time with the coaches and learn the game-plans.

It's given me a lot of confidence going into this pre-season. If I got to the club this year I wouldn't have the body I have now. I've put on five or six kilos and I know the game-plan, I know the boys and I can't wait to play.

Hey Thermo or Sunny, can O'meara in the thread title please be changed to O'Meara (big M) - it's been bugging me for a while now (Yes I'm a spelling Nazi) that we should get our future Brownlow medallist's name spelt right :thumbsu:

Edit: Thanks I feel better now.

We list the 20 draftees set to make the biggest impact next season.

THE kid gloves are off for these golden 20.

Forget project players, here are the talents from this year's draft who will have the biggest impact next season.

---

2. JAEGER O'MEARA
Club: Gold Coast
Height: 182cm Weight: 75kg
Drafted: 2011 mini-draft

Had the benefit of playing with Gold Coast's reserves this year and will slot straight on to a wing and forward flank. Super-slick ball-user is already considered the most talented under-21 player on the Suns' young list.

808186-jaeger-o-039-meara.jpg

Hopefully there is not too much pressure on Jaeger in 2013.

I have no doubt he will succeed, however it is unfair to heap an unrealistic expectation on a young man who is yet to play a senior AFL game.

Hopefully he stays fit for the 2013 season and can manage 10-15 games in which he plays his role.

Anything else would be a bonus.

He'll win the brownlow from the 10-15 games he will play.

No pressure. :cool:

Love your spirit.

PS It goes to show that a player needs the talent and grey matter of equal level to have a chance to get drafted.

With all due respect Garlett was at least the equal of O'Meara & Coniglio when they played in the 2011 WA U/18 side. Yet he is at best hoping for a rookie spot. Amazing!!!

That is the thing that has impressed me above all else with Jaeger, his level head. He displays maturity way beyond his age and represents our club so well. It gives me the up-most confidence that he will make it as an elite player of the game, talent only takes you so far the rest is down to the mental side of things. Honestly I cant wait for the day when Jaeger and Swallow are leading our club.

Love that image of Jaeger in your avatar CQSun :thumbsu:

Ash McGrath is just about the quickest Lion and would fancy his chances of running down anyone in a tackle. Jaeger just left him grasping at thin air. Can't wait to see more of that!!!

O'Meara goes from strength to strength

HERE is the proof that Jaeger O'Meara is about to take the AFL by storm.
Drafted for his silky skills and football nous, the once pencil-thin teenager has transformed into a muscle machine in just over one year, leaving even Suns strength scientist Chris Gaviglio shocked.
"I've been pleasantly surprised," Gaviglio said.
"Some people are just genetically blessed and I could give the exact same program to somebody else and they may not respond the same way.
"He is the ultimate professional and I think he realises he has been given a fantastic opportunity at the Gold Coast Suns to forward his career as a footballer.
"Strength training takes a large part of that at this stage and he has grabbed the opportunity with both hands and ran with it."
A lean 77kg when he arrived at the club last November, O'Meara has put on 5 1/2kg in 13 months despite being sidelined with groin surgery earlier this year.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

My man crush for Jaeger is so fierce.

he signed a suns guernsey for my son at redlands 2012. he did have the frame to be big. but i cant say i thought he was big at the time.im comparing them to NRL players though.

i was up close with jonathan brown yesterday, and he wasnt built either. he was tall, but skinny legs and not solid like an NRL player. i was surprised at how lean all the lions were yesterday. real string beans, and really not that tall.. there was 6 of them..

will post pic later..

563026_479378625455700_2026774037_n.jpg

he signed a suns guernsey for my son at redlands 2012. he did have the frame to be big. but i cant say i thought he was big at the time.im comparing them to NRL players though.

i was up close with jonathan brown yesterday, and he wasnt built either. he was tall, but skinny legs and not solid like an NRL player. i was surprised at how lean all the lions were yesterday. real string beans, and really not that tall.. there was 6 of them..

will post pic later..

563026_479378625455700_2026774037_n.jpg

I've noticed this a bit too. AFL players' body shapes have really trimmed down over the last 10 years with the focus on endurance and speed of the game picking up. I remember seeing Mal Meninga and Alastair Lynch years ago, and Lynchy made Mal look small by comparison. Most league players wouldn't have been over 6 ft tall. Now you're getting league players Lynchy's height 6ft 4 and huge. If AFL players were this big nowadays they'd be out of puff by half-time. Running requirements are immense. Look at how K has trimmed down.

O’Meara shines in Blacktown.
Jaeger O’Meara is set to make his official AFL debut in the Gold Coast SUNS season opener against St. Kilda on Saturday 30 March at Metricon Stadium and will enter the match with greater confidence after a strong performance against the Sydney Swans in Blacktown last Saturday night.

The 19-year-old, who spent 2012 gaining NEAFL experience with the GC SUNS reserves squad due to AFL age restrictions, showed excellent touch in the side’s loss to the Swans gathering 24 possessions and was among the SUNS best-on-ground performers.

O'Meara opens up ahead of AFL debut.
young-sun-set-to-shine.jpg

THE most hyped Suns rookie in the club's history will finally make his AFL debut against St Kilda at Metricon Stadium on Saturday. The Bulletin's chief AFL writer Brad Davidson sat down with gifted teenager Jaeger O'Meara who revealed his biggest fear heading into his first season, how he handled the expectations and why he wasn't ready to play AFL last year.

At last, it's Jaeger's time to shine.
276733-tlsnewslandscape.jpg

AFTER a year waiting in the wings, the worst kept secret in the AFL will make his debut on the Gold Coast on Saturday night.

Quietly spoken West Australian Jaeger O'Meara is not your typical first-gamer, and the Suns hope he turns out to be anything but your typical player.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back