Traded Jake Carlisle [traded w/ #23 and #44 for #5, #24 and Craig Bird]

Remove this Banner Ad

A little analysis of Essendon:

Forward: strong with daniher and a good group of small forward/mids
mid: really strong young core group led by watson, Heppell
Defence: strong spine with adequate small defenders, guilt as a replacement for fletcher.
Ruck: seems to be weak link bellchambers, not sure after that (shaun Mckernan cough, cough)

It seems to me (Essendon supporters please tell me if im wrong) the club would desire a good second or third big forward who could go into ruck. maybe a Tom Lynch or Josh Jenkins from Adelaide alongside some swap of picks in favour of essendon.

Not that i think carlisle would really interest the team due to the recruitment of lever as our top pick and dependent on Hartigan's form for the year (so far seems to have the potential to hold a spot)

It seems to me (Essendon supporters please tell me if im wrong) the club would desire a good second or third big forward who could go into ruck. maybe a Tom Lynch or Josh Jenkins from Adelaide alongside some swap of picks in favour of essendon.
That'd be ironic...

James Aish and a second rounder.

OR

Adam Treloar/Dylan Shiel and steak knives.

After Fletcher goes, he will go back in all likelihood, people forget how good he was in defence. Handy forward, absolute gun defender though.

In terms of a trade, a top 5 pick would be the ball park and even then I doubt it.

Our first would probably get it done after them initially demanding that pick and one of bont, stringer, libba, dahl

This is 'The Dodo' you are talking about. He'll want our first pick and Bontempelli, Stringer, Boyd, Macrae and Libba....

(Log in to remove this ad.)

After Fletcher goes, he will go back in all likelihood, people forget how good he was in defence. Handy forward, absolute gun defender though.

In terms of a trade, a top 5 pick would be the ball park and even then I doubt it.

I don't think Carlisle fits with Hurley and Hooker allready there. None of them can play on a small/mid like Fletcher can.

Carlisle will be a forward and a damn good one.

In terms of what has been suggested this is probably the closest. If you were to retrospectively redo the 09 draft, the only players that would go ahead of him in my opinion are martin and fyfe. Then add in the fact that we have spent 5 years developing him and that he still has a good 7-8 seasons of peak football left in him. Plus top draft picks arent even guaranteed to be any good, we may well end up picking a Trengove or a Morabito.

At Essendons stage in our premiership window I doubt we would accept a picks for him. We would be demanding a player, and a very good one at that.

Yep, got to admit Dodoro can be a bit cringeworthy at times when he overrates our own players when they're suddenly being traded.

He is a bit like us fans in that regard....

I'd trade our first and a player like Johannisen (who Essendon have been into before) for him. JJ would need to have a good year though. Maybe even a second rounder/upgrade too. Dual position gun KPPs don't come cheap.

If he wants out it'll get done. Who knows, though...

The Crows would be curious..

Are the dogs still desperate for a player like Carlisle?
Not as desperate as we were last year - but he would certainly still slot straight into the backline and make us instantly better. We'd be crazy not to try to bring him over if he did decide not to re-sign. Don't know whether he'd be interesting in coming - would probably hinge on a) whether he sees something building quickly; and b) whether his childhood affiliation with the 'Dogs has any sort of pull for him to choose us (let's be honest - rarely happens).

Don't think it would happen and with Talia playing good footy we're not falling over ourselves for a capable key defender - but we'd certainly be extremely interested.

b) whether his childhood affiliation with the 'Dogs has any sort of pull for him to choose us (let's be honest - rarely happens).
Usually means nothing. Hawthorn were just more convincing for Jack Gunston. Still hurting. :(

Remove this Banner Ad

Back