Traded Jake Carlisle [traded w/ #23 and #44 for #5, #24 and Craig Bird]

lachie charm

Cancelled
Feb 8, 2015
AFL Club
Carlton
Sorry if already covered, but what do you think is a fair salary for Carlisle? Take WADA out of the equation.

I've only seen Carlisle discussed in terms of picks, but it would also take a decent chunk of cap to pick him up. Both need to be considered.
The trade whispers article on afl.com.au today said he's getting offers of ~700k.........surely not.

Sorry if already covered, but what do you think is a fair salary for Carlisle? Take WADA out of the equation.

I've only seen Carlisle discussed in terms of picks, but it would also take a decent chunk of cap to pick him up. Both need to be considered.
Maybe $500k/year?

The trade whispers article on afl.com.au today said he's getting offers of ~700k.........surely not.
Isn't that near what Frawley got with the Hawks? If so, on the open market he'd probably get it.
Genuine best 22 talls command a premium - especially when average AFL salary is something like $300-350k pa

Thanks peeps. I'm sure I'd read $700-$800k in the media a while back but

a) I don't believe much I read on the interwebz
b) Jake hasn't really set the world on fire in the last 18 months

I would say he's easily one of the better young KPP in the comp. $500 seems low, $700k seems high-ish. So I guess around 600k. Maybe 650k.

What's interesting from a Carlton fan's perspective is that Carlisle is more likely if we let Henderson go. And he's reportedly on the way out because we won't meet his salary demands.

Hypothetically we trade out Henderson for pick x, send that to Essendon for Carlisle (maybe some pick swapping). We replace Henderson like-for-like(ish), but paying an extra $150k or so. Would only make sense if we thought Jake was clearly better than Lachie and of course he is two years younger.

Sep 12, 2006
Melbourne
AFL Club
Essendon

I would say he's easily one of the better young KPP in the comp. $500 seems low, $700k seems high-ish. So I guess around 600k. Maybe 650k.

What's interesting from a Carlton fan's perspective is that Carlisle is more likely if we let Henderson go. And he's reportedly on the way out because we won't meet his salary demands.

Hypothetically we trade out Henderson for pick x, send that to Essendon for Carlisle (maybe some pick swapping). We replace Henderson like-for-like(ish), but paying an extra $150k or so. Would only make sense if we thought Jake was clearly better than Lachie and of course he is two years younger.
He is and he is.

If you're doing effectively a straight swap Henderson for Carlisle for $150k p.a., it's a big win. He'd walk in and be your best KPP straight away.

It depends on what pick you get for Henderson.

He's apparently all but at Geelong, would they give up a top 10 pick if they finish outside the top 8? Unlikely.

So let's say you get pick 26 and a player (I dunno, say GHS) for Henderson. You package 26 and 21 for Carlisle and it makes attractive reading for both sides.

Geelong receive: Henderson
Geelong lose: GHS and pick 26

Carlton receive: GHS and Carlisle
Carlton lose: pick 21

Essendon receive: pick 21 and 26
Essendon lose: Carlisle.

Sashand88

Rookie
Jul 30, 2015
AFL Club
Essendon

He's apparently all but at Geelong, would they give up a top 10 pick if they finish outside the top 8? Unlikely.

So let's say you get pick 26 and a player (I dunno, say GHS) for Henderson. You package 26 and 21 for Carlisle and it makes attractive reading for both sides.

Check your in and outs Carlton also loss Henderson.
Anyway Geelong do rather well out of that.

Another alternative could be.....;

Geelong receive: Henderson & Pick 21.
Geelong lose: Pick 9

Carlton receive: Carlisle, Pick 23.
Carlton lose: Henderson, Pick 21.

Essendon receive: pick 9
Essendon lose: Carlisle & Pick 23

Just going on the basis that Carlisle and Henderson have similar value.

Thoughts...?

Two Planks

Norm Smith Medallist
May 14, 2012
AFL Club
Geelong

Thoughts...?

I would do that from a cats perspective if we dont require pick 9 for Dangerfield. (He comes as a free agent or stays in Adelaide). If Dangerfield wants to come to cats and crows force it into a trade situation out first pick will definitely be part of that deal.

Thoughts...?

Essendon the harshest done by there.

Sep 12, 2006
Melbourne
AFL Club
Essendon

Thoughts...?
I honestly don't think Carlisle and Henderson have similar value.

I'd be saying to the cats, how about straight swap 9 for Carlisle and Carlton can please themselves.

HULK HOGAN

Club Legend
Jul 18, 2007
Epping
AFL Club
Essendon

I know your being very realistic there Eth, but I would want at least one of those picks to be around the 10-16 mark.

So a club might trade for Carlisle only for him to be banned for 2 x years wow!

I'm not trying to start up a WADA sh!tfight, but I'm curious about what happens here.

IF players were banned, do they get paid? CAN they be paid? Do they not get paid and they sue Essendon for loss of wages? If a player is traded, does the new club have to foot the bill. Could they reclaim from Essendon?

Not saying players will be banned, but as a hypothetical does anyone know or feel confident guessing how it would play out?

I've asked this question a few times on BF and never got an answer. Not even a NFI...

Sep 12, 2006
Melbourne
AFL Club
Essendon
I'm not trying to start up a WADA sh!tfight, but I'm curious about what happens here.

IF players were banned, do they get paid? CAN they be paid? Do they not get paid and they sue Essendon for loss of wages? If a player is traded, does the new club have to foot the bill. Could they reclaim from Essendon?

Not saying players will be banned, but as a hypothetical does anyone know or feel confident guessing how it would play out?

I've asked this question a few times on BF and never got an answer. Not even a NFI...
Fairly certain they can't be paid while suspended and I'd expect they'd sue EFC for lost wages/reputation etc at that point but it would be a drawn out legal proceeding(s).

With regards to clubs trading, I'd figure that's the risk you'd be taking. The only club who've picked up an EFC player pre this all breaking is Port with Monfries, so I would expect they'd be able to seek damages re him but not Ryder/Crameri/Carlisle if he goes.

Red Bull

Brownlow Medallist
Aug 29, 2010
mornington peninsula
AFL Club
Carlton
So a club might trade for Carlisle only for him to be banned for 2 x years wow!

Any number of efc posters will be only too happy to tell you that WADA and the PSD don't exist .
I suspect , for their own sanity after these last 3 years , they have wiped these scenarios from their version of reality ... it's understandable i guess .
But the real world grinds on and if Carlisle nominates Carlton , a harsh reality awaits .
Time will tell ...

Any number of efc posters will be only too happy to tell you that WADA and the PSD don't exist .
I suspect , for their own sanity after these last 3 years , they have wiped these scenarios from their version of reality ... it's understandable i guess .
But the real world grinds on and if Carlisle nominates Carlton , a harsh reality awaits .
Time will tell ...
broken-record-psd-448821.png

Sep 12, 2006
Melbourne
AFL Club
Essendon
Time will tell ...
Cool.

I'd almost be happy for this to happen and brisbane to take him pick 1 in the PSD.

Meanwhile in reality, if Jake nominates Carlton, we'll end up settling for your second round pick and be labelled hard to deal with by the incredibly intelligent football media.

Back