Toast Jake Kelly signs for two years

Remove this Banner Ad

Defender Jake Kelly has signed a two-year deal, tying him to the Crows until at least the end of 2017.

Kelly, 20, was recruited by the Crows with pick No.40 in the Rookie Draft of December, 2013.

After playing in all three of the Club’s NAB Challenge games this year, Kelly was promoted to the senior list in May. He made a promising AFL debut against Melbourne at Adelaide Oval in Round Three, and has played 10 AFL matches this season.

Kelly said he jumped at the opportunity to continue his career with the Crows.

“I’m rapt to be at the Club for another two years,” Kelly said.

“It’s a fantastic Club. We’re going in the right direction, I know that for sure.”

a1c19d675382497b2c1f0c26ac2cd822dafe007e108ee96024817586785fbd57.jpg

Defender Jake Kelly has signed a two-year deal, tying him to the Crows until at least the end of 2017.

Kelly, 20, was recruited by the Crows with pick No.40 in the Rookie Draft of December, 2013.

After playing in all three of the Club’s NAB Challenge games this year, Kelly was promoted to the senior list in May. He made a promising AFL debut against Melbourne at Adelaide Oval in Round Three, and has played 10 AFL matches this season.

Kelly said he jumped at the opportunity to continue his career with the Crows.

“I’m rapt to be at the Club for another two years,” Kelly said.

“It’s a fantastic Club. We’re going in the right direction, I know that for sure.”

How long can we keep him on the rookie list. Is this a sign he will be elevated to the senior list in 2016?

He can remain on the rookie list*, but that's not the Crows style. Nor should he.

Welcome board properly, Bull!

* (Jack Frost Pies has a two year deal, 2015 on R-List & 2016 on S-List)

So basically he will be upgraded at seasons end. Good news for the Bull.

While I was frustrated with his form in his last few games in the AFL side he was a great and cheap pick up and will develop into a very handy 4th tall defender in the coming years if he already isn't one yet.

Has to be senior list next, you can only rookie list players for 2 years max before they have to be added to the senior roster or delisted..

Players can have a 3rd year on the rookie list.

10.10 Retention of Rookie List Players
(a) A Club may retain a Player on its Rookie List for a second season provided it nominates such Player or Players using Form 32, prior to advising the AFL of its Primary List under Rule 6.1(a) and such Player consents to being nominated on the Rookie List for a second season.
(b) A Club may retain a Player on its Rookie List for a third season provided it nominates such Player or Players using Form 32 prior to advising the AFL of its Primary List under Rule 6.1(a) and such Player consents to being nominated on the Rookie List for a third season. If a Player is retained under this Rule 10.10, any amount he is paid in excess of the 1st year third round draft selection Player payment will be included in the Club’s Total Player Payments.
(c) A Club may retain a Player included on a Club’s Rookie List under Rule 10.5(a)(i) and (ii) for a third season, using Form 32, provided it nominates such Player prior to advising the AFL of its Primary List under Rule 6.1 and such Player consents to being nominated on the Rookie List for a third season.

Players can have a 3rd year on the rookie list.

10.10 Retention of Rookie List Players
(a) A Club may retain a Player on its Rookie List for a second season provided it nominates such Player or Players using Form 32, prior to advising the AFL of its Primary List under Rule 6.1(a) and such Player consents to being nominated on the Rookie List for a second season.
(b) A Club may retain a Player on its Rookie List for a third season provided it nominates such Player or Players using Form 32 prior to advising the AFL of its Primary List under Rule 6.1(a) and such Player consents to being nominated on the Rookie List for a third season. If a Player is retained under this Rule 10.10, any amount he is paid in excess of the 1st year third round draft selection Player payment will be included in the Club’s Total Player Payments.
(c) A Club may retain a Player included on a Club’s Rookie List under Rule 10.5(a)(i) and (ii) for a third season, using Form 32, provided it nominates such Player prior to advising the AFL of its Primary List under Rule 6.1 and such Player consents to being nominated on the Rookie List for a third season.

Standing corrected :)

(Log in to remove this ad.)

From memory, if you want to keep a rookie on the list for a third season you need to delist them, then re-rookie them in the draft (running the risk that somebody else takes them first).

It's either for a third season or a fourth season - either way, two years will take Jake into his fourth season, so this is a main list contract.

Congrats to Kelly for earning his permanent upgrade :thumbsu: Not bad for a kid who was overlooked for a last round f/s pick!

Am I the only one who had his hopes up for a moment after accidentally reading that as Jakerick Kellygerfield? :p

Oh well, still good news... looks to have some potential, and definitely has the work ethic.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back