Draft Profile Jake Stringer

Remove this Banner Ad

Carlton will certainly disappoint if he's still available and we fail to pick him, which is more to the point. I think you'll find that the joke is on you with your smarmy sarcasm. Remain ignorant for the rest of your life, it's no skin off my nose.
:D

Where's the ignorance in questioning a player who has suffered a horrific leg injury?

I'm in the same boat as everyone who hasn't seen Stringer's medical and game post-injury.

No joke on me when you take yourself so awfully seriously all of the time. You're still Waiting For Godot with our drafting. You want to be disappointed, so you're just getting your shots in early. Even if we take Stringer, you'll still come up out with your regular spin and Tony Robbins-esque life coach rationale to find something wrong our selections.
I'll be furious if we didn't take him with 11 too. He is a bit of a high risk/high reward type, but I think it's time to take that risk. We've played it too safe in the past and missed out on some gems.
Why would you be furious?

The club would have done their home work.

It says a bit if Stringer gets through after being so highly rated.
He (Stringer) was told at draft camp that he wouldn't slide past pick 9.
Hope you're right. It would be good if Garlett goes to the Dogs and Stringer goes before 11 to leave us with a shot at O'Rourke or Macrae. I'd be happy with Garner or Jaksch.

Is as arrogant as the sun is bright, could be good for his footy though. Really interested to see his combine results in full. No doubting his talent.

Himself and Menzel will be the two most interesting players for me come draft day.

Jake+Stringer+2012+AFL+Draft+Combine+uKsSRGK_xU1l.jpg

:D

Why would you be furious?

The club would have done their home work.

It says a bit if Stringer gets through after being so highly rated.

Like they did their homework when they took Lucas instead of Talia? Or Watson over Darling? (Although I do think Watson will be a good player, but not as handy as Darling).

Every year a highly rated player slip further than expected, doesn't mean they're no good. Think Daniel Rich, Shaun Atley etc. If Stringer slips to 11 and we don't pounce, I will be incredibly pissed. Unless of course someone as good or better also slips, ie Toumpas or O'Rourke.

Like they did their homework when they took Lucas instead of Talia? Or Watson over Darling? (Although I do think Watson will be a good player, but not as handy as Darling)

Every year a highly rated player slip further than expected, doesn't mean they're no good. Think Daniel Rich, Shaun Atley etc. If Stringer slips to 11 and we don't pounce, I will be incredibly pissed. Unless of course someone as good or better also slips, ie Toumpas or O'Rourke.
Like we did our home work after we picked Yarran over Rich and had Robinson ranked higher than 40.

I didn't say that Stringer was no good. The last thing we need is another player like Stringer or Menzel whose body might fail them. Stringer's injury was as bad as Strauss' break against Carlton. I'll be worried if we go down this road.

Like we did our home work after we picked Yarran over Rich and had Robinson ranked higher than 40.

I didn't say that Stringer was no good. The last thing we need is another player like Stringer or Menzel whose body might fail them. Stringer's injury was as bad as Strauss' break against Carlton. I'll be worried if we go down this road.

Yarran V Rich would have been a win either way. Aside from that example and picking Murphy with pick #1, most of our other recent first round picks have been mis-used (of course this is my opinion only).

I'm not debating Robinson or any other player taken after the first round as every club is guilty of overlooking the same quality players. I'm looking at our history of 1st round selections. There's not one example of us picking up a bargain.

I know that Stringer's break was bad, which is why I stated it's a high risk/high reward proposition. Obviously the club medic's will do a comprehensive analysis of him, and if he's not going to recover fully then we won't pick him up, but then I imagine no other club will with an early pick either. But if we don't take him at 11 and some team picks him up a few picks later and he turns out to be the next Pavlich, then it's just another bungled draft for the club.

Geelong took a punt on Selwood, Essendon went for Heppell, think it's time for Carlton to take a punt.

I didn't say that Stringer was no good. The last thing we need is another player like Stringer or Menzel whose body might fail them.
Yes, broken legs have that nasty habit of re-occuring at any moment. Pesky bones.

The kid is not only fit, he's in career best form at the best level he's ever played at. There's no more risk of him breaking down as any other kid.

Geelong took a punt on Selwood, Essendon went for Heppell, think it's time for Carlton to take a punt.

I believe someone on Essendons medical staff worked with the side Heppell was drafted from and had told the club not to worry about any injury concerns, read an article on that somewhere..

He'll take a while to get going, but just like Barlow - he'll get back into form quickly.

When players are as talented as Menzel and Stringer, clubs should take the risk.

Jake stronger
Yarran V Rich would have been a win either way. Aside from that example and picking Murphy with pick #1, most of our other recent first round picks have been mis-used (of course this is my opinion only)
So you want us to take a punt, yet we misused picks to draft Watson, Lucas and others?

Is school back?
We took a "punt" on Bootsma who was a good selection at 22.

And Yarran who was a great pick by Carlton.
I'm not debating Robinson or any other player taken after the first round as every club is guilty of overlooking the same quality players. I'm looking at our history of 1st round selections. There's not one example of us picking up a bargain.
I know that Stringer's break was bad, which is why I stated it's a high risk/high reward proposition. Obviously the club medic's will do a comprehensive analysis of him, and if he's not going to recover fully then we won't pick him up, but then I imagine no other club will with an early pick either. But if we don't take him at 11 and some team picks him up a few picks later and he turns out to be the next Pavlich, then it's just another bungled draft for the club.
That's just a terrible and crazy way of looking at it. A Fyfe could also be drafted at 20 after Rendell picked Talia. There's no such thing as a risk free selection where you don't pass on a good footballer. Adelaide picked Sellar and Sydney picked O'Keefe ahead of Tippett. I guess you think this rule only applies to Carlton with the draft.
Yes, broken legs have that nasty habit of re-occuring at any moment. Pesky bones.

The kid is not only fit, he's in career best form at the best level he's ever played at. There's no more risk of him breaking down as any other kid.
Perhaps Gumby's back and Kreuzer's knee will suddenly become good again just because they're gun talents. And then we can win a pissing contest with Geelong and Richmond supporters who love Selwood and Cotchin.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

So he's coming to Richmond?
i for one hope like hell he is.

for a bloke who is obviously lacking fitness he tore it up. for a bloke with a severe break id say hes tracking very nicely toward full recovery. id also say his draft results were more than acceptable for a bloke coming of such an injury such a short time ago.
hes done everything right so far since his injury and there is absolutely nothing to suggest he will suffer long term from it.
imo he will go to either gws or wb.

IMO Menzel and Stringer have the biggest range in this year's draft. Both could go from pick 5 (unlikely for Menzel) to pick 25 (IMO Stringer would go 1st round). On talent alone, surely GWS would pick him up if he lasted till their pick 12? If he can get back to his pre-injury form and develop form there, he will be an absolute beast.

IMO Menzel and Stringer have the biggest range in this year's draft. Both could go from pick 5 (unlikely for Menzel) to pick 25 (IMO Stringer would go 1st round). On talent alone, surely GWS would pick him up if he lasted till their pick 12? If he can get back to his pre-injury form and develop form there, he will be an absolute beast.
I'd put Clurey in the mix as well , very confident he'll be the one who surpasses expectations the most out of this draft .

Jake stronger

So you want us to take a punt, yet we misused picks to draft Watson, Lucas and others?

Is school back?

We took a "punt" on Bootsma who was a good selection at 22.

And Yarran who was a great pick by Carlton.

That's just a terrible and crazy way of looking at it. A Fyfe could also be drafted at 20 after Rendell picked Talia. There's no such thing as a risk free selection where you don't pass on a good footballer. Adelaide picked Sellar and Sydney picked O'Keefe ahead of Tippett. I guess you think this rule only applies to Carlton with the draft.

Perhaps Gumby's back and Kreuzer's knee will suddenly become good again just because they're gun talents. And then we can win a pissing contest with Geelong and Richmond supporters who love Selwood and Cotchin.

I think 90% of Carlton supporters would agree that we should have taken Talia before Lucas, even before the draft that was the general consensus.

You keep banging on about Yarran, and as I've previously said, that was a win either way. Yarran is serviceable at the moment with the potential to be a star. Rich is in the exact same boat, only playing a different role. I'm not disputing the drafting of Yarran, so you can give it a rest.

You've mentioned that there's no such thing as a risk free selection, which is pretty much my point. We've had a habbit of playing it safe in the past, and (I guess i'll have to stress this point yet again...this is only MY opinion) we've missed out on some great players.

By highlighting Fyfe you've just reiterated by point regarding the drafting of Lucas. I still think we should have taken Talia, but Fyfe is another example of us missing a great player because we played it safe with a player that at the time, we didn't need as desperately as a player like Talia. KPP's are always a higher risk, so we went a mid (safe option).

And I don't think Bootsma is a good example of us 'winning' on a punt. Only time will tell how good he'll become. But it's very likely that he would have held out until the 2nd round anyway.

Anyway, like I said, it's my opinion only. You can think it to be as 'terrible, school child like and crazy' as you want. I'll personally be disappointed if Stinger is available at pick 11 and we don't draft, you won't. Big s**t. Don't think the CFC is going to care either way.

I believe someone on Essendons medical staff worked with the side Heppell was drafted from and had told the club not to worry about any injury concerns, read an article on that somewhere..
Of course we knew he was fit. He didn't miss a single game in his draft year, (voted the best player in 18s), did all the draft camp testing, and was passed fit in every medical he did at draft camp. Why wouldn't he have been fit?

Of course we knew he was fit. He didn't miss a single game in his draft year, (voted the best player in 18s), did all the draft camp testing, and was passed fit in every medical he did at draft camp. Why wouldn't he have been fit?
Clubs before Essendons pick passed on Heppell because of groin injury concerns and one of essendons doctors had been the gippsland powers doctor and said he would hold up fine at AFL level.

Clubs before Essendons pick passed on Heppell because of groin injury concerns and one of essendons doctors had been the gippsland powers doctor and said he would hold up fine at AFL level.
Well, yeah... because they did a medical, and asked the kid, and found out he was fine.
Same as other clubs did.

Jay Clark article, look it up.

Any chance Stringer might slip through to pick 16? I read somewhere that the Cats were the keenest on him before he broke his leg and he looked likely to go to the mini draft. Don't know how they feel about him now (has trained with WB earlier this year, apparently), but they did pick up Selwood a few years back after he was overlooked by several clubs due to injury. Wouldn't surprise me if the Cats snapped him if he did make it to pick 16.

No way would he last to #16.

Where do you think he will go?

I'd say GWS' pick in the early teens. Cats do have a habit of taking risks on players (think Selwood), and given this draft is apparently a super draft in waiting, I'm sure now more than ever clubs would be inclined to feel that there are plenty of better first round options than a heavily talented youngster recovering from a potentially career sidelining injury... Although you're probably right.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back