Draft Profile Jake Stringer

Remove this Banner Ad

has kicked 11 goals in his last 4 games, so an average of 2.75 goals per game. Has been looking really good the past few weeks, watch out next season when he gets another pre season under his belt and will be in year 3 in the AFL (when most players start excelling), needs to build his tank though if he wants to be a full time midfielder. Pretty happy we got him with #5, could see him or Menzel being the best of the lot when we reflect in 10 years time, although Macrae and Wines go alright!

Whats the chances of him making it as midfielder?

He's a good chance to be a good midfielder but I wouldn't be moving him into the middle for a long while yet. Hes arguably our best forward already and we need him at FF. Despite those who think hes undersized hes still 192cm and stronger than the average youngster as well as his great goalsense so I don't see him playing much in the middle for at least the next 3 years particularly as we need all the tall forwards we can get and hes by far and away our best talent in the forward line.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

One of my problems with Stringer is that I remember him as an underage tyro at Bendigo. He REALLY had the agility and spring then that appear missing from his game at the moment. He had the strength and the commitment.
At the moment he has struggled because of his leg. Now that the leg issue is clearing up, he MIGHT get that explosiveness back into his game. It will, however, take time.
With the, pardon, 'dog eat dog' nature of the modern game, the Dogs are going to have to be patient and they may not be able to afford to be that patient.

Overall, he hasn't managed to fulfil his potential so far. He is still going to take time. That may not be possible.
Always felt he looked a little second rate in clearances at the pioneers. That may have a bit to do with the quality of the bloke who was making him look 2nd rate by the name of WINES.

He would look good in a Tigers jumper, don't think it'll happen though. By the years end and through the combine, I believe that he'll certainly go 1st round, I still hope top 10. Correct on the character, when the Pioneers had a bye recently, he played a game for his local club with his brother when 'advised' not to; because he wanted to play a senior game of footy with his brother......He might be something special....
Ohhh yeahhe is

There were questions over both Mcrae and Stringer. As it has turned out, the Dogs look like they made good choices. But this drafting business is certainly not an exact Science: sometimes you show some courage and take your chances. The Dogs did: they deserve the kudos.

I always worry about the kids I like when they are young. Often they stagnate in the 2nd season at TAC level. After all, they have already shown they have what it takes: the 2nd season is just filling in time. Scooter Selwood was definitely one of those. Jack Darling another. They then drop down the pecking order and some lucky teams gets a bargain. Why can't Carlton manage that trick: we end up with Kane Lucas instead!

12 months on and tracking nicely. 40+ goals with 4 rounds to go is a nice return.

Always felt he looked a little second rate in clearances at the pioneers. That may have a bit to do with the quality of the bloke who was making him look 2nd rate by the name of WINES.
He's pretty much caught up to wines now IMO, although they are different players

Long term I still think he will prove to be a better player than Olly Wines. However he has now got a fair bit of ground to make up.
He's about par with him now on performance, might be ahead at the end of the season if he can power us into finals and do damage in September

62 goals in his last 26 games since he came back from his stint in the VFL playing midfield there for 3-4 weeks last season, round 15 2014 vs Melbourne was the 1st game of the "new and improved" Stringer that we are currently seeing.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back