News Jake Neade signs with Portland

Remove this Banner Ad

Yep, remember Nathan Brown dropping a very basic mark above his head simply due to Neade's presence last year in the game at AAMI (actually the more I think about it, he may have given away a really unnecessary free kick considering size difference?). Either way it certainly does play on your mind when you know you've got to take the mark because your opponent will make you look like a blundering fool if you let the ball hit the ground. Reluctant to use the comparison, because well... often people are only thinking of skin colour in making similar claims, but it's the kind of 'aura' that Rioli exploits so damn well out on the field.

Really liked this pic of Jake, he suits the number 32.

347702-tlsgallerylandscape.jpg

"He's one of those players who really terrorises the opposition."
Dennis Cometti.

You got that comment right Dennis.
It was Dennis that Vilified Tabouli ban him forever. ....

I remember the massive tackle he did on the melbourne ruckman first game of last year, has got a history of big tackles, that's the first big bump i've seen him do. Will never be a marking target but has everything else, built his game around hustle and tackling pressure to compliment his skill with ball in hand.

There was another moment - I'm not sure what quarter it was - where Neade jumped into a contested situation and turned while being tackled to handball off to a team mate. I'm not doing the moment justice but it was very impressive.
Words can't really describe it very well, but it was awesome. I loved the way he jumped in to that contest and got the ball off to a team mate. Top stuff!

There was another moment - I'm not sure what quarter it was - where Neade jumped into a contested situation and turned while being tackled to handball off to a team mate. I'm not doing the moment justice but it was very impressive.
Ended up in another goal too, I've got a feeling when he fully develops physically/mentally & completely believes he belongs at the level he's going to have crazy high number of score/goal assists & a special highlight reel.

I mean he's already at the stage when in possession around the forward 50 I sit there feeling comfortable knowing he's going to either lace out someone or dodge, weave & run around his opponents to kick the goal or set up a teammate.

You don't like comparing against current proven stars but he's got a touch of Rioli in his pressure game & a few of his skills.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Aside from his obvious wizardry on the weekend I'm super impressed how infrequently he's outmarked- even the high up and unders he seems to regularly succeed in bringing to ground.

With this in mind maybe we plonk him at FF for "structure"?

Aside from his obvious wizardry on the weekend I'm super impressed how infrequently he's outmarked- even the high up and unders he seems to regularly succeed in bringing to ground.

With this in mind maybe we plonk him at FF for "structure"?
The next Brett Ebert

12 minutes into the third quarter. On game highlights

Ended up in another goal too, I've got a feeling when he fully develops physically/mentally & completely believes he belongs at the level he's going to have crazy high number of score/goal assists & a special highlight reel.
Nah, when you look at his runs further up field he has a future as a wingman. Polec on one wing, Neade on the other. Add White and when they are ready Flynn running it from the backlines, Amon and DBJ and sides who think we are fast now are only looking at the appetiser of things to come.

i want to go on record to say that my previous assessment of Neade may be way off the mark and that I am likely to be wrong.

he still has a long way to go of course but he has got that bit of x factor we all love.

for such a little fella, he doesn't lose his feet much!

well done little fella, you champion!

Probably just ok overall for the night but make no mistake his effort to keep the ball in F50 when 4 points up was the moment of the game. Freo coming again and you just expected him to struggle in that play. Miles smaller than his opponent and a number of Dockers closer. Held it in long enough for more Port players to arrive and the rest literally was history in the making. I can still barely believe Port got a goal from that play. It looked literally impossible as the ball come in for that contest.

Last edited:
Probably just ok overall for the night but make no mistake his effort to keep the ball in F50 when 4 points up was the moment of the game. Freo coming again and you just expected him to struggle in that play. Miles smaller than his opponent and a number of Dockers closer. Held it in long enough for more Port players to arrive and the rest literally was history in the making.

Went from being very poor in the first half to doing some outstanding things in the second.

He wasn't alone in that.

Took his moments this game Freo match up well on him it seems. Ken will keep backing him in.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back