Oppo Camp James Aish, (Traded to Freo 2019)

Remove this Banner Ad

I'm just with Quicky in that in that make a board look very vanilla, some boards have player threads and that's about it and you have to crawl through a lot of mundane posts to find anything worthwhile.

But if we still making different threads it should be alright.

Then People don't need to Complain IF I bump a Old Thread Then

Can't say I'm a fan of the player watch threads. Seems a bit Essendon Board to me. An attempt at sanitising the place too much. It doesn't need to be neat. It just needs interesting content. I can see myself vacantly scrolling past player x's thread without bothering opening it. Like I do with the welcome threads. Big thumbs down.

Totally agree - I don't like this at all.

It makes it too hard to see when there is an actual update / news / article versus just some comment or random thought on a player. You have to continually look through all the updates for the articles, and given they are maybe one in forty you get conditioned to ignore these threads.

Totally agree - I don't like this at all.

It makes it too hard to see when there is an actual update / news / article versus just some comment or random thought on a player. You have to continually look through all the updates for the articles, and given they are maybe one in forty you get conditioned to ignore these threads.

Re the 'player watch' threads, there is some demand for them, as the focus for posts on specific players. But if something newsworthy breaks on a player, e.g. the recent Swan/Cloke story, there is nothing to stop posters creating a new thread about it which wouldn't/shouldn't be merged with the player watch thread. The other way to manage this, is for us mods to update the thread title with a news item and point to the relevant post/page. Posters could also PM us to ask that this be done.

So, to reiterate, we dont expect the player watch threads to be the be-all and end-all on players, and we don't want important information on players to be buried in them. We started this last year, and they worked OK, but we are always open to feedback on them.

FYI Magpie Girl, Gone Critical, NT.Thunder

Re the 'player watch' threads, there is some demand for them, as the focus for posts on specific players. But if something newsworthy breaks on a player, e.g. the recent Swan/Cloke story, there is nothing to stop posters creating a new thread about it which wouldn't/shouldn't be merged with the player watch thread. The other way to manage this, is for us mods to update the thread title with a news item and point to the relevant post/page. Posters could also PM us to ask that this be done.

So, to reiterate, we dont expect the player watch threads to be the be-all and end-all on players, and we don't want important information on players to be buried in them. We started this last year, and they worked OK, but we are always open to feedback on them.

So The Player Watch Threads can be used for Merging Threads that people start that has no point for a new one

You read the Essendon board? :rolleyes:

I went there once. It felt like one of those houses where the owners put plastic on their couches and you were paranoid of accidentally leaving a smudge mark somewhere.

There's plenty of threads to vacantly scroll past that don't suit everyone but I'll keep an eye out for your Big thumbs up thread :p

images

The thing is, there already is multiple threads for each player but most are too lazy to go looking. The look of the board will hardly change as threads not being used or discussed won't even appear on the front page.

These player threads are just for player specific articles that's all but if you want to continue to raise individual threads for anything and everything that's fine.

The boring articles usually find themselves off the front page pretty quickly in season. I think the key to the player watch thread idea would be keeping the thread title updated frequently with the latest topic and not being too gung-ho merging all content on the player in there (e.g. big news stories, someones thoughts on player x or y). Still think it is better to let things go organically.

Sounds horrible!

It is. Check it out actually. You'll get a good look at what a front page looks like when you merge all content on one player into a single thread. A s**t load of player threads, a couple of competitions and very few other topics to speak of. I like the eclectic, random, witty content we have here. I fear a player watch policy will stifle discussion.

It is. Check it out actually. You'll get a good look at what a front page looks like when you merge all content on one player into a single thread. A s**t load of player threads, a couple of competitions and very few other topics to speak of. I like the eclectic, random, witty content we have here. I fear a player watch policy will stifle discussion.

Quicky, did you see my post above at #30, re the player watch threads? There is no intention to stifle discussion, or force all posts on a single player into one thread.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

The boring articles usually find themselves off the front page pretty quickly in season. I think the key to the player watch thread idea would be keeping the thread title updated frequently with the latest topic and not being too gung-ho merging all content on the player in there (e.g. big news stories, someones thoughts on player x or y). Still think it is better to let things go organically.

Again, I agree. If we try to file everything away neatly into player watch threads we will only find interesting things (articles and posts) if we go searching for them. If we don't, then it allows for serendipitous discovery, As Quicky says, if there are average articles they quickly get dropped off anyway.

Quicky, did you see my post above at #30, re the player watch threads? There is no intention to stifle discussion, or force all posts on a single player into one thread.

No I didn't sorry Vicky.

I went there once. It felt like one of those houses where the owners put plastic on their couches and you were paranoid of accidentally leaving a smudge mark somewhere.

But the Essendon players left lots of little smudges on their arms and skin

So will the player watch threads replace the 'Toast' threads for players after matches?

Fair question, but I doubt it. If a player has a cracker game, it's only fair to toast him. The same for roast threads. We move on from them pretty quickly, but they have a role.

Fair question, but I doubt it. If a player has a cracker game, it's only fair to toast him. The same for roast threads. We move on from them pretty quickly, but they have a role.

So we can have a Toast/Roast Thread but after a few Days it will move to the Player Watch Thread? Vicky Park

Would it be possible to make a sub-forum for the player watch threads?

So we can have a Toast/Roast Thread but after a few Days it will move to the Player Watch Thread? Vicky Park

Its organic Dave. A player toast/roast thread could go on for a while - depending on the extent of toasting/roasting that posters and the BF community think justified - or they could die a quick death. The same with a specific news thread on a player. The mods may merge them with the player watch threads, if there is not much in them, or let them go. But the player watch threads will have long lives, although they will often disappear off the main page. Some of the original welcome threads have been turned into player watch threads. In fact we did this last year, and no-one seemed to mind. If we stuff up on this, then posters should let us know. Its not an exact science. Let's see how it works for 2016.

Would it be possible to make a sub-forum for the player watch threads?

Schraderbrau, its a valid suggestion, but one which we mods haven't discussed. My preference would be to not make a sub-forum for the player watch threads, as sub-forums tend to attract less attention and less visits than the main page/forum. A bit like The Magpies Nest, which some posters never visit. In fact, there are still some who don't know what it is! But there may be others who share your view, and if so they should let us know.

How's he going? Best 22? Going to be tight for spots in the maggies midfield and also with Macaffer, Howe ect back into the forward line. Wonder if he sneaks into best 22? Suppose NAB will decipher this.

Also i initially hated the player threads on the dons board as you guys have been talking about, but you get use to it and it actually really works. Its like crossing from an Iphone ro android or the other way around takes time to get use to but in this case is better like that for the forum/board.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back