James Aish vs Marcus Bontempelli

James Aish vs Marcus Bontempelli

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

Jared Brennan would be a point against you here.

Absolute freak of a player, for about 10minutes of a game.
Bonts just knows how to find the footy though unlike most of those 'freak' players who can do special things but are just so inconsistent. Wouldn't worry about his field kicking either its generally very good.

Bonts just knows how to find the footy though unlike most of those 'freak' players who can do special things but are just so inconsistent. Wouldn't worry about his field kicking either its generally very good.

Hopefully he can keep it up. I also hope, if he has second year blues, people dont write him off straight away. It tends to happen a fair bit to young players.

Hopefully he can keep it up. I also hope, if he has second year blues, people dont write him off straight away. It tends to happen a fair bit to young players.
Yeah no doubt, people just want things too quickly these days. You should see some of the s**t posted about Jake Stringer on the dogs board!

You've got a gem in Aish too, would absolutely love to slot him into our midfield, but I'm obviously rapt with Bonts!

Both gonna be guns, Aish a surer thing to be a excellent mid and a top 50 player in the AFL while Bonti has the scope to be a top 5 player in the AFL.

Both had great games this week. If you look purely at the stats, you'd think Aish had Bontempelli easily covered. On impact though, Bontempelli was perhaps one of the players of the round. An unbelievable last quarter performance. His past 3 weeks have all been excellent, he is getting better with every game.

I can see Aish being a consistent gun and someone who contributes across all four quarters, every week. Bontempelli could be that, but right now, we love him for the XXXXXXXXXXXXXX-factor.

Both gonna be guns, Aish a surer thing to be a excellent mid and a top 50 player in the AFL while Bonti has the scope to be a top 5 player in the AFL.
Im sorry, I just don't buy into this. Sure a fair comment just after they have been drafted. But now that we have seen them both in the big league, I think Aish has just as much of a chance to be any bit as good as Bont's and perhaps better.

lucky it floated through because he missed an easy tackle on jack grimes
Oh please, like Aish hasn't missed any tackles this year. First year players are always going to struggle with the physical side of the game, I have absolutely no concerns about Bontempelli's tackling.
Jared Brennan would be a point against you here.

Absolute freak of a player, for about 10minutes of a game.
Jared Brennan was a spanner who never had the right attitude or work ethic to be a gun AFL Footballer.

One of the main reasons we picked Bontempelli was because he has a fantastic attitude and is always striving to improve himself.

Saying you can't beat freak players was a hyperbole, but it still gives him a significant edge over Aish & just about any other first year player in these polls.

Im sorry, I just don't buy into this. Sure a fair comment just after they have been drafted. But now that we have seen them both in the big league, I think Aish has just as much of a chance to be any bit as good as Bont's and perhaps better.
Of course Aish can be as good as Bontempelli or better. We're talking about the player's ceiling. Based off what we've seen so far, Aish's ceiling doesn't look like it'll be nearly as high as Bontempelli's. Bontempelli's absolute best so far has looked much better, although it is in short patches. He is a much rawer player than Aish too and has more improvement left in him. The question now is whether he can get himself to a level where he can play to those standards consistently.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

bonts has such a big roof? i personally don't think Aish has as big a roof as him no way

I personally think both have high ceilings... too me Aish is a mix of Lappin and Black. He is a real quality youngster!!!! Close call but Ill put out the bas card on this one and go with Aish. But who cares as both will be gems

Goal was a bit flukey. Clutch goal yes. But flukey as well.
I doubt if Aish kicked a similar goal you'd be calling it flukey.

It was a bit flukey. But it wasn't just the kick. It was the fact that he managed to find the space to get that kick away, pushing off the Dees players and commanding the space.

I'm liking Bonts, he's a talent. Two great youngsters who should be around for a while me thinks.

Thinking it's going to come down to how hard they are prepared to work once they start being tagged. Work ethic is the only thing that could favour one over the other.

Thinking it's going to come down to how hard they are prepared to work once they start being tagged. Work ethic is the only thing that could favour one over the other.
I get the feeling Bonts will be a nightmare to try and tag. If someone's getting the better of him we can just push him forward where he can be a genuine aerial threat with his height, leap and marking ability probably way too strong for your average tagger.

Hard to split them, both will be 200 gamers and both AAs in their career. As to who will develop into the better player may depend on their coach and club. But both are potential guns in the making.

Bontempelli just leapt into equal favourite (with Langdon) on sportsbet to be the rising star winner. Hopefully he can continue on the form he had in the last 3 weeks.

That award is garbage. Should never be used to try to compare players.

I think Bontempelli with his physical attributes and talent could become a very special player. I didn't really expect him to play much this season but he put in a few b.o.g performances in the VFL which took a while to translate into good performances in the AFL but it seems he's adjusting to the pace of the game now.

It's obviously way too early in their careers to be making judgements on either player. Both are showing good signs though.

In their short AFL careers, I think Aish has shown more thus far, however as a few have mentioned in this thread, Bonts is showing glimpses of being a top AFL player (not to say Aish cannot become one) and I think Bonts can hit that echelon, so my vote goes to him!

Back