Traded James Aish (2013-2015)

Remove this Banner Ad

Is that really he correct way to type that word? I've seen both used frequently.

Without the hyphen it's ambiguous as to whether it's a new contract or they're retiring. Doesn't matter so much with someone like Aish, can lead to a lot of confusion when it's someone older than about 29.

Nov 4, 2011
Melbourne
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
one is correct the other is used wrongly (frequently) by bigfooty posters and journos ;) sry for being a semantic nazi
Don't apologise, I point it out whenever I can as well.
Is that really he correct way to type that word? I've seen both used frequently.
Without the hyphen means the opposite of with the hyphen, so it really does matter which one you use.

MacMum

Brownlow Medallist
Apr 6, 2007
Ballarat
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
HUN reporting that Aish has put contract talks on ice until after the pre-season.

What is this kids game?.....getting a bit peed off with him tbh, he seems to be jerking people around.

This will he, or won't he sign is very very annoying.

..bugger off james if you don't want to be a Lion.

Dylan12

Brownlow Medallist
Sep 7, 2007
Melbourne
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Other Teams
Chelsea, Boston Red Sox
James Aish and Brisbane Lions delay contract talks until 2015

CONTRACT extension talks between Brisbane and young gun James Aish have been set aside until the end of the pre-season. But the Lions are relaxed about retaining the talented midfielder with the club proving to be a recruiting juggernaut this year. Sixteen players have re-signed or signed with the Lions in 2014 including most of their draft picks from 2013. Only Aish and defender Tom Cutler are yet to extend their deals at the Gabba. Cutler is expected to re-sign soon.

Brisbane see the 18-year-old forming part of their long-term midfield and are happy to bide their time in negotiations. “There are no real concerns at this point. All the talks we’ve had with Liam Pickering (Aish’s manager) have been very cordial so there’s no real rush,’’ Brisbane football manager Dean Warren said. “We’d love him to sign sooner rather than later but James is contracted for 2015 so we are not going to pressure him at all. “We’ve all decided to set things aside until early next year and we’ll start talking then. Everybody is pretty relaxed about it.’’ During the recent AFL Trade Period, Pickering told Trade Radio there was no reason why Aish would not sign at Brisbane and that he was happy at the Lions.

May 3, 2005
Brisbane
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Other Teams
Scuderia Ferrari, Dallas Cowboys
Still a year left on his contract. It would be nice for him to re-sign now but he's under no obligation.

Can be easily forgotten that this is a career first and foremost for a lot of players.

Not many jobs where your employer constantly expects you to commit for significant periods of time despite one year being left on your contract.

It wasn't long ago that it was actually more likely than not that players would not extend this far out.

Simbatheking21

All Australian
Sep 11, 2013
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
mcnulty-kicks-desk-o.gif

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Schache It Off

Norm Smith Medallist
Sep 20, 2008
Melbourne
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Other Teams
Taylor Swift
Don't have a good feeling about this. Maybe we should have traded him.

**** me I wish we had a retention allowance, * off Eddie you sooky campaigner

jjami15

Norm Smith Medallist
Jul 16, 2011
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
That's not good. Possibly jumping at shadows here but the optimist says to me that he wants to clear his head and enjoy his last bit of time off before
focusing on his football. Another reason is that he has really enjoyed his time
at home and is not so sure about coming back and wants to see how he feels after being back at the club for a bit. Hmmmmmm, not good.

One thing is for certain, if he hasn't signed after this self imposed deadline he is as good as gone IMO.

Last edited:

MacMum

Brownlow Medallist
Apr 6, 2007
Ballarat
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Buckley MK11.

Port are looking good and I'm getting a feeling that he is just hanging around until a better offer from back home.

..or perhaps of wanting to go home to help out the crows.

..either way, I don't think his heart is with the Lions.

Aug 31, 2011
Bris
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
I am not worried, for me last year it felt we partly dug our own grave, whereas next year, if he leaves, we should be very confident we would have done all we could and it will be more of a reflection on him. Personally, I am confident he will re-sign, but I am not confident he will stay for his full career. He gave me a sense that he has high enough morals and standards to know walking out on a club after 2 years would not be a good reflection on his character.

To me this is a Liam Pickering move to bump up his price, Liam seems like the scrape for every penny money hungry managers (i.e. doesn't care much for the clients club), I know all are like this, but some are worse than others and he fits the bill for me.

While I am in the Aish will stay camp, if he does leave I think the AFL should be looking at ways to combat the go home factor. I know I am repeating myself, but I still think by making it a compulsory 3 year contract for the top 30 draft picks those kids will knuckle down and concentrate on the club rather than letting homesickness overcome them knowing worst case scenario it's a two season boot camp into AFL. It also gives the chance for the AFL club to show the players value, as by the time they are into their 3rd AFL season they should be showing some signs of their real potential. One final thing I would love to see (I know it will never happen) is players only being able to nominate their salary and state they want to be traded to, not nominate the one club. I know it helped us get Beams, but in the long term I think it disadvantages all clubs the way it is currently.

Dec 18, 2011
QLD
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Other Teams
Brisbane Roar,Halifax Town AFC
That's not good. Possibly jumping at shadows here but the optimist says to me that he wants to clear his head and enjoy his last bit of time off before
focusing on his football. Another reason is that he has really enjoyed his time
at home and is not so sure about coming back and wants to see how he feels after being back at the club for a bit
. Hmmmmmm, not good.

One thing is for certain, if he hasn't signed after this self imposed deadline he is as good as gone IMO.

This was my first thought after reading the story, could be, Pickering advising to keep hang out for a while and the deal will get better.
He did fly to Adelaide last week to talk to him, and he likes clubs to sweat a bit doesn't he?

May 3, 2005
Brisbane
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Other Teams
Scuderia Ferrari, Dallas Cowboys
Sam Mayes was still four months away from re-signing at this time last year... I don't remember there being such rampant defeatism and aspertions on his character and level of committment.

Have no idea whether Aish will stay or not and am probably emotionally hedging a bit by not falling totally in love with the bloke at this stage, but geez we might need to relax a little bit and exercise a modicum of patience.

His manager is Liam Pickering, the biggest money leverager in the game. Reckon he is playing this one exactly as he he should be expected to, especially with the South Australian prince mythos built up around Aish.

If I had to guess about Aish's current mindset (and it's only a guess) it is that he simply doesn't know yet what he wants to do long term. He clearly isn't unhappy in Brisbane but would have Adelaide up in his grill constantly tempting him with offers etc, and maybe even family doing the same thing. A fair bit to handle for a 19 year old, even one as seemingly calm and mature as Aish.

Again, considering that his manager is Pickering, if Aish had already decided to leave, I reckon Pickering would have pulled the Tom Boyd card during trade week, especially with the Dayne Beams situation there to provide cover.

Very good chance he falls in love with the club this year, but give it time to happen. Constant pressure and fans messaging him on social media about it isn't going to help.

And if he goes, it isn't the end iof the world. We have a pretty damn good midfield now and will be going into trade week again with a top 10 pick and a stack of cap space. If Aish leaves, that might facilitate us bringing in another key piece of the puzzle.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back