Traded James Aish (2013-2015)

Remove this Banner Ad

Reserves Wrap - Southport Sharks - 11/04/2015 (Shane Woewodin’s comments)

Aishy came back to us with a great attitude and had a solid performance as an inside-mid on the weekend. He had a lot of attention from the opposition. I found his stoppage work to be really good. He had nine clearances for the day which is a great result for an inside mid, he was composed with the ball. I was really happy with his ball security but also his ability to equalize and get forward and get out of stoppage which has been a room for improvement in the senior midfield.

Aish needed to be main man

BRISBANE Lions coach Justin Leppitsch has warned the football world not to read too much into his dropping of James Aish to the reserves last week.

Aish, 19, is out of contract at the end of the season and the centre of much speculation around his future, but Leppitsch says the midfielder’s demotion is part of any youngster's journey.

The South Australian took the knock on the chin and is in line for senior selection this weekend after playing a starring role against Southport in the NEAFL.

Collingwood and Carlton emerge as lead contenders to snare Brisbane midfielder James Aish

COLLINGWOOD and Carlton have emerged as lead contenders for Brisbane midfielder James Aish, who seems increasingly likely to leave the Lions after only two seasons.

The No. 7 selection from the 2013 national draft has given no indication he wants to stay at the Lions, rebuffing contract talks with Brisbane.

The Lions are losing hope by the week of keeping the former South Australian prodigy.

Personally, I think my work in this thread will be the high point of my career as a mod.

In-demand James Aish could remain a Lion

BRISBANE Lions midfielder James Aish has not indicated he wants to switch clubs and could remain at the Lions beyond this year, his manager Liam Pickering says.

The 19-year-old South Australian, who finished fourth in last year's NAB AFL Rising Star award, comes out of contract at season's end and has attracted attention from rival clubs.

Although Pickering could not confirm whether Aish would remain at the Lions next year, he said the gifted on-baller had not expressed any desire to leave.

Unlike Polec, can't fall back on injury or lack of opportunity. What that quote doesn't reveal is why he hasn't re-signed. It's not usual for young players to leave it until the end of their contract. Basically I don't trust Pickering.

Pickering's MO every single time player x might stay - terrible poker player.

Young Jim I'd say has never had any intention of staying more than two years hence enlisting travel agent Pickering from before the ND when he knew he'd be moving away.

Brisbane Lions CEO Greg Swann not confident James Aish will stay

Brisbane Lions CEO Greg Swann says "you don't have to be a rocket scientist" to work out that star youngster James Aish will leave the club at the end of the year.

Aish was selected with pick No.7 in the 2013 draft and had a very impressive debut season last year, averaging 17.6 disposals in 21 games.

However, the star youngster, who has been strongly linked to a move a back to his hometown Adelaide, has put off re-signing with the Lions and Swann admitted that was not a good sign.

Power chief executive Keith Thomas fires back at Geelong coach Chris Scott’s ’grave dancing’ dig as James Aish struggles at Brisbane

PORT Adelaide is waiting for out-of-favour Brisbane midfielder James Aish to declare his hand — and is annoyed at Geelong labelling the Power “hypocrites” for supposedly targeting the South Australian.

Port Adelaide chief executive Keith Thomas has fired back at Cats coach Chris Scott’s thinly veiled swipe at the Power for “dancing on Brisbane’s grave” while the Lions fall into crisis on and off the field, and Aish appears an easy target for a homecoming trade.

“We have not made any move on James Aish,” Thomas told The Advertiser.

Aish, the son of former Norwood midfielder Andrew and nephew of Magarey Medallist Michael, is more likely to find his best offer for a change of club to emerge from Adelaide, which needs to deepen its midfield depth.

But Pickering’s ability to lure Victorian clubs Collingwood and Carlton into the auction — despite Aish being described as “homesick” — could enhance Brisbane’s case for demanding an expensive return in any trade in October.

Reserves Wrap - Gold Coast - 02/05/2015 (Shane Woewodin's comments)

James came back from the seniors and was very good early, his first half was outstanding. Just his competitiveness, his intensity around the ball and his ability to tackle and put pressure on was good. It fell away in the second half though, he got tagged by Rainesy (Andrew Raines). A complement for Aishy that was, something he can work through as a young player. He came back with a great attitude.

SA and Victorian clubs line up for disgruntled Croweater James Aish with bidding war set to begin

ESSENDON great Matthew Lloyd says James Aish’s seemingly untenable situation at Brisbane has “Jared Polec written all over it’’.

The teenage whiz-kid who won two SANFL league premierships with Norwood before he was 18 and was selected at pick seven at the 2013 national draft, appears to be on his way out of the Lions den after failing to sign a new contract and twice being dropped from the side.

Rival clubs have been put on red alert for a player — out of contract at the end of the season — who was once considered to be a can’t-miss prospect and touted as a top-three pick.

SA clubs Adelaide and Port Adelaide appear to be in prime position to bring Aish home but a host of Victorian clubs are also understood to be keen on the hardrunning midfielder, including premier Hawthorn, cashed-up Collingwood and Carlton, and Essendon, where Aish’s Redlegs’ premiership mentor Nathan Bassett is an assistant coach.

Unlike Polec, who is now at the Power after walking out on Brisbane at the end of 2013, Aish is not understood to be homesick.

However those close to the Aish camp believe the unassuming teenager might prefer a move to a Melbourne club.

He is a football-nut who is missing the spotlight on the sport in Queensland but would also prefer not to be the centre of attention, like he would be in Adelaide.

“Knowing James like I do, if he does decide to leave Brisbane, which seems likely, a Melbourne club could be his best fit,’’ said the source, who asked not to be named.

“And he’d be a great pick up because while he’s not your eye-catching gamebreaker if you put him in the right environment the kid will play 250 AFL games.’’

BRISBANE are seething at Carlton going into Sunday’s clash at Etihad Stadium after Blues officials flew to Queensland this week for secret talks with Lions midfielder James Aish.

Carlton CEO Steve Trigg, football operations manager Andrew Mackay and list manager Stephen Silvagni were in Brisbane and on the Gold Coast on Wednesday under the official guise of speaking to sporting software expert and baseball coach Jon Deeble.

But it is understood out-of-form and out-of-favour Aish was the real target.

The Courier-Mail also understands Carlton contacted the Gold Coast Suns to assure them they were not in Queensland to pursue one of their off-contract players such as Charlie Dixon.

Brisbane received no such courtesy call.

http://www.couriermail.com.au/sport...347397438?sv=14b36d7781aa5b19a81885c876551a96

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I dont get why people are precious about things like this...everyone knows clubs are after Aish. Our club surely cant be surprised

Especially if we did the same with Beams. I guess it is one thing approaching his manager but it is over the line meeting him personally IMO.

I dont get why people are precious about things like this...everyone knows clubs are after Aish. Our club surely cant be surprised

Yep - We would no doubt already be talking to management of Rance, Dixon, Carlisle, Henderson etc, Blues just happened to get caught....

Would be hypocritical of us to get too precious...... although Blues could have perhaps been a little more subtle about it though!

Especially if we did the same with Beams. I guess it is one thing approaching his manager but it is over the line meeting him personally IMO.
Yep - We would no doubt already be talking to management of Rance, Dixon, Carlisle, Henderson etc, Blues just happened to get caught....

Would be hypocritical of us to get too precious...... although Blues could have perhaps been a little more subtle about it though!

Yeah, and especially when im sure clubs have spoken to many players by phone over the years. The moment word gets out they meet in person people lose their s**t

Yeah, and especially when im sure clubs have spoken to many players by phone over the years. The moment word gets out they meet in person people lose their s**t

I'd be disappointed in our club if we flew to Melbourne and meet with opposition players in round 5. There is a time and a place.

I'd be disappointed in our club if we flew to Melbourne and meet with opposition players in round 5. There is a time and a place.
I think the disrespectful aspect is the fact we're playing Carlton this week... huge slap in the face if you ask me

Remove this Banner Ad

Back