Traded James Aish (2013-2015)

Remove this Banner Ad

Lions feel like home for recruit
November 27, 2013
Laine Clark

He said he had already accepted he would be plying his trade away from SA next year.

"I am sure any excuse (my family) will be up here for a holiday and hopefully to watch me play.

"I am sure everyone gets homesick.

"But I am pretty confident I will be happy here.

"It seems like a good group. Success should be just around the corner."

the talk of who should wear blacky's number 20 after it has had it's break (out of respect to blacky), certainly aish comes with enough 'wraps' & potential to have been at least been considered, if it wasn't to be rested.

I'd rather Aish make number 4 his own number. I think giving him a number as significant as 20 could add extra pressure on him.

He has already flagged that he wants to make his own name and own history re his SA forebears so possibly a good point...

In terms of his contribution to our club, I predict James Aish will be greater than Sam Sheldon and James Hawksley combined. I think he will almost be as great as Jamie Charman!

That's an outlandish statement and you deserve all the ridicule that comes your way.;)

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Pre-draft Article on Aish

The coach
You do not take lightly a decision to pick a 16-year-old kid to become the youngest debutant in Norwood's 134-year history.
Even more so when he's a wiry 60-something kilogram wingman who would suddenly find himself on the fiercest cauldron in the SANFL - playing against Central District at Elizabeth.
"I certainly didn't want to hurt him," said Bassett, reflecting on Aish's Round 1, 2012 debut.
"But he was better (than others) so he should be in the side.
"There were a couple of senior players who said 'are you picking him because he's going to be good?' and I said 'no, because he is ready now'."

"He always had the courage to seek genuine feedback about something to do with his game," Bassett said.
"And one of those things was carrying the footy more and with more speed.
"You'd say it and he'd do it the next week."

The teammate
AT 34, Brett Zorzi was exactly double James Aish's age when they played in their second SANFL premiership together for Norwood.

"I think he asked Freddy (coach Nathan Bassett) one day, 'what do I have to do to get a league game?' and Freddy replied 'get older', because he was good enough but just so raw."
Aish eventually did come out to senior pre-season training as a 16-year-old in November 2011.
"Before the 2012 season we had to do an exercise and pick the team for round one," Zorzi recalls.
"And I didn't have him in because we were playing Centrals at Elizabeth, he was 16 and I didn't think he was ready for that.
"But history shows he played round one and played well, he was backing back into packs, taking intercept marks and I think it made everyone stop and think 'if a kid can do that ...'
"He's got special qualities, he's very proud of what his family has done and so he should be, he's got amazing pedigree.
"He's tried to do his best to play AFL and get the best out of himself and hopefully he has a long career ahead of him."
Plus some insights from his Father and Teacher. Certainly sounds like an impressive kid.

or he could sign a long term contract ala Dan Rich
I keep reading here that Rich has signed a long term contract. I must have been in a comma when the announcement was made, but my recollection is that Rich signed a two year contract and Hanley signed the long term (5years) deal.
In fact Rich at the conclusion of his two year contract will be a restricted free agent and we will have to fight off the vultures big time.
Can you provide the link to the Rich announcement?

I keep reading here that Rich has signed a long term contract. I must have been in a comma when the announcement was made, but my recollection is that Rich signed a two year contract and Hanley signed the long term (5years) deal.
In fact Rich at the conclusion of his two year contract will be a restricted free agent and we will have to fight off the vultures big time.
Can you provide the link to the Rich announcement?

I am also in this boat!

Brisbane recruit James Aish rapt to learn from Lions great Simon Black
9 January 2014
Rhys O'Neill

TOO much Simon Black is never enough for Lions young gun James Aish. Surprisingly left as late as pick No.7 in last year's AFL draft, 19-year-old Aish has already been compared to the Brownlow Medallist, who retired last season after a club-record 322 games and three flags.

With Black now on Brisbane's coaching staff and acting as his personal mentor, highly-rated Aish figures he now has the perfect opportunity to shadow the man he's tipped to succeed at the Gabba. "We've caught up for lunch and a coffee and just had a chat a few times. It's been great,'' the South Australian said. But over the past couple of months I've been watching a lot of video of Simon Black. I'm just trying to see how he goes about the game. "We have chats about how to play the game and he just helps me with parts of my game. "He's an icon in Brisbane and it's an honour to be able to work with him.''

Despite the hype about his match-winning qualities, Aish is used to the pressure, being Norwood's youngest ever senior debutant at 16. After two SANFL premierships in two seasons, the Lions are hoping Aish's hardened frame is ready-made for the rigours of AFL footy. He has added 10kg of muscle in recent years to tip the scales at 78kg - about 3kg under Black's playing weight - but insists his time with Norwood has prepared him for any big-body confrontation.

Making the brave call to abandon his rich family history at Norwood - where his father Andrew and uncle Michael hold legendary status - has gifted Aish a golden chance to blaze his own trail in Queensland.
"I think there's some big benefits to being away from home,'' he said. "I will only be judged on what I do, without preconceived ideas as to how I should play.''

And with Justin Leppitsch's blueprint set to place a greater emphasis on contested ball, Aish claims to have already improved this part of his game.

013801-ef94fba6-783a-11e3-abd3-ac86fade2183.jpg

Link - http://www.news.com.au/sport/afl/br...reat-simon-black/story-fndv8d6r-1226798014999

Aish, fellow Lion cubs quick to settle
18 January 2014
Nick Bowen

JAMES Aish has quickly settled into life as a Brisbane Lion despite having to confront some "pretty huge" challenges. Aish told AFL.com.au his world had changed substantially since the Lions called his name at pick No. 7 in last November's NAB AFL Draft. Not only has the star South Australian junior had to adjust to living away from family and friends in a new state, he's also had adjust to the demands of an AFL pre-season.

It's been a big adjustment, but Aish is loving his new life. "Having to move into a new state and getting used to looking after yourself and the big demands of training, long hours at the club each day, it's been a big challenge but I'm really enjoying it and learning a lot," Aish said at the AFL Players' Induction Camp this week. "I've loved it so far. The club's been really good, the players have been really good so far, they're a really good bunch of guys. "We're very lucky with the coaches we've got on board as well. "I think all of the other draftees are starting to learn the city and get to know it, and it's been good fun."

Although it's still early days, Aish's comments will be welcomed by Lions fans after the disappointment of last year's trade period, when five young players left the club citing homesickness. But Aish also says the fact most Lions recruits have to relocate interstate can actually work in the club's favour. "At least 90 per cent (of players) have moved to go up here, so I think that's a pretty unique thing and pretty special," Aish says. "We have to be a family up here. Hopefully that's something that can bond us together and drive us, and bring some success going forward."

Sam Mayes was the only other Lions teammate he knew prior to arriving at the Gabba, but Aish says the club's senior players and coaches quickly made him feel welcome. "Dan Rich and Brent Moloney I've worked with a bit in the midfield. They've been really good, just (with) one on ones and trying to give a few little hints," he says.

Link - http://www.afl.com.au/news/2014-01-18/aish-quick-to-settle-as-a-happy-cub

Remove this Banner Ad

Back