James Frawley 2.2 mill 4 years

Remove this Banner Ad

May 10, 2007
Bonbeach
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
Arsenal Fc Portland Trailblazers
We are nearly through the 1st year of his deal and Im just wondering what people's thoughts of it so far ? If we had our time again would you want the same coin offered again ? Or would you rather it in the kitty for other potential targets ? He's a good negating defender but of course has had his Injury problems since joining and its still also relatively early into his contract so hard to make a judgment.

I think he needs a full season to be able to answer this question satisfactorily. A new club/system and injury have probably not helped provide a clear picture of Frawley's real value.

• Banned
I think he needs a full season to be able to answer this question satisfactorily. A new club/system and injury have probably not helped provide a clear picture of Frawley's real value.

Agree with that I think we will also no his true value more once Lake is gone. One thing I will say is I think it will be money better spent on him than it is on Big Boy.

He is very very important for our footy club moving forward, he has the size and strength to handle mobile forwards ( Riewoldts ) and the monster guys ( Clokes/Hawkins).

Very early to judge, I like a few of his games particilarly the buddy game where he dismantled him. The one thing that we know won't change is his poor ball use, that's my main concern.

Listen, Chip is the least of our worries, we need to find an adequate ruckman who can go forward and some decent inside mids that have some pace. Big boy is purely and simply a big utensil up, I'm really disappointed in him and how inept and rubbish his actual ruck work is.

Lake played 18/22 before finals in 2013 and was brilliant.
Lake couldn't even get a game early on...was not top 10 best and fairest but come finals time he performed as we needed him. It takes time for any new player even one as good as Lake let alone Frawley who has had two serious injuries to contend with plus twice he has been taken off for a concussion test. Really had an interrupted season. His size and mobility will be key to our success going forward.

Frawley has been very good when he has played. Kept Buddy scoreless early in the year.

When he has been sorely beaten is when the midfield has allowed gold delivery into the fwd line of the oppo team. He has been a great get, and will enjoy another 7 or so years of him

Listen, Chip is the least of our worries, we need to find an adequate ruckman who can go forward and some decent inside mids that have some pace. Big boy is purely and simply a big utensil up, I'm really disappointed in him and how inept and rubbish his actual ruck work is.

For what he cost and considering we pulled out of Longer deal in 11th hour, you're right. Longer/Ceglar would have been a great combo. However, no idea how he'd have done in the GF last year, where McEvoy was important.

Will wait and see on Frawley, finals will define his season.

People talking about him and BB not being worth "using up the money for Franklin" are kidding themselves. THAT'S TWO FOR ONE!

Who's getting Sewell's cash? Frawley's salary is probably covered at least 70% by Sewell's salary.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I'm happy! This isn't just about this season but for the next 6 !! We no longer worry too much about big forwards killing us. We seem to have problems with ground ball smaller players in defensive 50!
Kennedy kicked just 2 on him
Franklin 0!
Riewoldt 1
Riewoldt N 1

These players have worried us in the past.

Think Chip has been unfairly critisised this year by supporters. As others have mentioned, has had a bit of interrupted year with injury. But when he's strung a few games together, he looks pretty good and has done the job on some key forwards. Also, can't be easy coming from a rabble like the Dees to a well oiled machine like the Hawks and picking up the game plan straight away and the way teammates go about it.

I'm happy! This isn't just about this season but for the next 6 !! We no longer worry too much about big forwards killing us. We seem to have problems with ground ball smaller players in defensive 50!
Kennedy kicked just 2 on him
Franklin 0!
Riewoldt 1
Riewoldt N 1

These players have worried us in the past.
Exactly. Imagine we didn't have him next year and Lake retires. We would be left with Gibbo (no longer able to keep talls quite in one on one), Stratton (see Gibbo), Spangher (constantly injured), Brand (injured and inexperienced) and Heartherly (probably more a gibbo replacement) next year. That doesn't look like a GF backline to me. Depending on Brand and Heartherly, we still probably need a KPD to replace Lake pretty soon.

He's been serviceable. He also seems to be trying not to bite off more than he can chew. I've noticed that most of his kicks are to players miles in the clear. It's like he's aware of his poor disposal and is playing it safe.

I think he's been quite good in the games he's played. In a couple of our losses he's been one of the few players to win his position. He'll go straight in for surgery you would think when the season's finished to fix that shoulder.

People talking about him and BB not being worth "using up the money for Franklin" are kidding themselves. THAT'S TWO FOR ONE!

Who's getting Sewell's cash? Frawley's salary is probably covered at least 70% by Sewell's salary.

Not sold on Frawley, didn't like it at the time and still don't.

Now the following probably belongs in the drafts and trading thread but it is relative to the quoted post.

So many people (mainly opposition supporters...and Nick Riewoldt) forget about Sewell's retirement when commenting on our seemingly never ending salary cap.
For memory Sewell was on approx. $450k in his final years, add that to the $900k "Buddy kitty" and that's $1.35m. Subtract Frawley's $550k and McEvoy's $300k (estimate only) and that's $500k left to go spending with. Add further cap relief of approx. $500k combined for Hale, Lake and Suckling and it's happy days for Graeme Wright come trade period.

I know our youngsters will have taken their cut of that pool going forward but that's $1m left in our cap at the end of this season.

We can easily afford Dangerfield when you factor all that in....it's just a matter if we want him at the price, and if he indeed wants us!

I won't give up hope until he signs with someone!

He should be our primary focus on this board until his decision is made public.

Forget the Bennell, Wingard rubbish in the meantime.
Trade McEvoy for a 1st round pick, back end contract offers to Dangerfield and Kreuzer as free agents and hit the draft with 2 first rounders (if they don't go to Adelaide for Dangerfield).

Frawley will be pivatol in september, need him and lake to stand up and everthing else will look after it self. i have a feeling we can beat west coast or freo when it matters in a qualafying final.

I didn't like the trade at the time because I hate any players wearing other colours. I now like him; in brown and gold he looks fantastic!

He's a different type of player to Lake. Lake is a stay-at-home defender, one of the best who ever played this game. Frawley is a running defender.

Once Lake retires, our backline structure will have to change, and that may bring out the best in Frawley.

Frawley will be pivatol in september, need him and lake to stand up and everthing else will look after it self. i have a feeling we can beat west coast or freo when it matters in a qualafying final.

Frawley will be massive against West Coast.

Also, people need to remember Frawley was injured early in the game twice this year. Hawks lost both times.

Will be important in finals and even more so once Lake is gone.

He was acquired to replace Lake really, its just that Lake is going to be around for a year or 2 with him.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back