James Frawley to Fremantle?

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Then explain what he did to Alex Howson!

That poor kid didn't even get on the park and, sadly, ended up delisting himself!

And he still keeps his name in his sig as his buddy to rub his nose in it!!

He's a curse.

Maybe he's left the sig like that so the curse stops with poor old Alex.

If we got Frawley at the end of the year, by the end of next year he would be considered one of the best key position defenders in the land (top 6).

If we got Frawley at the end of the year, by the end of next year he would be considered one of the best key position defenders in the land (top 6).
This. We've seen Gibson in a crap team and he wasn't that great (admittedly less developed than he is now). Who's to say others wouldn't be the same. Johnson for for example wasn't much chop pre Ross Lyon. Frawley won an AA at 22 in a team that was on the top half of the bottom eight. Since then his team has been absolutely shite.

There's a reason there's half the afl after him. He's a far better player than those on here give him credit for.

Half the AFL huh?

O rly?

I'd say almost every team would be talking to his agent. Decent KPP who are available via FA are like hens teeth.

Frawley would get a game for any club as a quality KPD who can swing forward. He may have played for a rubbish team, but he is not rubbish. Similar to how the rest of the league underrated McPharlin when it was Freo's midfield that was the issue. We fixed our midfield and somehow McPharlin, and Johnson were AA defenders. It makes a large difference to the perception of the defense if the ball keeps sailing over their heads (even if it isn't the fault of the defenders).

We should absolutely be chasing Frawley. I'd be gutted if we showed no interest at all.

I'd say almost every team would be talking to his agent. Decent KPP who are available via FA are like hens teeth.

Frawley would get a game for any club as a quality KPD who can swing forward. He may have played for a rubbish team, but he is not rubbish. Similar to how the rest of the league underrated McPharlin when it was Freo's midfield that was the issue. We fixed our midfield and somehow McPharlin, and Johnson were AA defenders. It makes a large difference to the perception of the defense if the ball keeps sailing over their heads (even if it isn't the fault of the defenders).

We should absolutely be chasing Frawley. I'd be gutted if we showed no interest at all.

I would offer that there is a fair difference between sounding out his agent with a polite enquiry and actually chasing him. If the price is right, then absolutely, however the way this FA is set-up it is more like a dutch auction with the players agent acting as the "dummy" bidder until the reserve price is reached.

I've never said that Frawley is rubbish, just that he isn't as good as some here feel...(top 6 KPD in the AFL? Oh paleeese). And I certainly wouldn't want to sell the farm, cap-wise, for him.

Freo have been one of the more active clubs in FA and have bought wisely and prudently in players that many here didn't even have on their radars, and that is the way to play this system. Getting caught up in a bidding war for a highly publicised player is not.

I'm also not getting the continued hand-wringing about KPD's. It's been happening for years and is bloody tiresome. We've recruited to cover this scenario, but we may be a year behind schedule if someone retires this year, (which is still an absolute unknown), and yet we have no idea how our youngsters would handle the rigours of AFL just yet. Taberner, albeit as a forward, shut up the usual suspect group of nay-sayers on the weekend, and there is no reason that a Tanner Smith can't do the same in the future.

Some supporters, not you ;), should wait until McP, MJ actually make an announcement about their intentions before drinking the kool aid.

McPharlin probably won't be there next year. All good things come to an end and unfortunately the career of Luke McPharlin is closing in on the finish.

This really annoys me eh? McPharlin is 32 and is playing some of the best football of his career. If you want to compare footy stats compare him to Dustin Fletcher and tell me...

1. Where has McPharlin said he on the last (McPhar) Lap?

2. Why can't he keep going for another 2 or 3 years? In my humble opinion he has lost NONE of his speed or edge.

As much as I am for contingency and succession planning I don't think Luke's gone yet.

This really annoys me eh? McPharlin is 32 and is playing some of the best football of his career. If you want to compare footy stats compare him to Dustin Fletcher and tell me...

2. Why can't he keep going for another 2 or 3 years? In my humble opinion he has lost NONE of his speed or edge.

As much as I am for contingency and succession planning I don't think Luke's gone yet.

Amen.

Forget about Frawley, we don't want any more Melbourne players. One is more than enough to have on our list? Far better to comb through the GCS and GWS lists.

Forget about Frawley, we don't want any more Melbourne players. One is more than enough to have on our list? Far better to comb through the GCS and GWS lists.

will be a while before any are available for FA and each will cost a fortune in the trade ... our best bet is hogan when his contract expires and that will depend if roos cant save the club

Yeh Shark, but Pearce and Sylvia weren't the only ones we chased either. There's no secret that Bondy looked into several others. We would be lucky to land every one we had a crack at.

No doubt correct, due diligence would need to been done to some degree on Frawley and high profile names. Bond, Lloyd may well have decided, "Yea thanks mate, your price doesnt fit our list model" and moved on. I reckon we're very quick to decide on these and indeed its central to how we plan who we target.

My point was that we appear to be particularly successful targeting lesser knowns, to fill our perceived needs at reasonable rates without paying overs and that is how we like to operate.

So I would think that we are spending alot of our efforts sorting out those cheaper type of players who could be worthwhile over the seasons leading into FA and then negotiating with them. Rather than running around trying to seduce the Buddys etc paying top dollar.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

We'll agree to disagree for now but you're right about the succession plan which IMO barely exists ATM considering all other options within the club are either not good enough (Silvagni) or not ready (Smith, Pearce, Vandeleur).

If he does play on next year it leaves two questions in regards to Frawley.
1. Will he be best 22? (As either a defender or forward)
2. Is he worth the money considering what we've already got (ie players almost as good etc.)?
I'd suggest that it'd be a yes and a no to these questions and we'd be better off waiting until 2015 or whenever it is that McPharlin hangs up the boots. Who knows if you're right and he he does play another 2-3 years we may not have to bother using free agency to replace him at all.

Elvis hasn't got many more left so I'm sure the planning is on in earnest... I'm hoping we pluck something young and lesser known from either a development squad ( GWS ) or a struggling mid table team with a middle aged KPD that may be keeping out a 2/3 yr listed back up that is quality but hasn't had a chance to prove it yet.
I don't know other lists well enough to provide names but I'd be fairly confident that would be one of the strategies

We'll agree to disagree for now but you're right about the succession plan which IMO barely exists ATM considering all other options within the club are either not good enough (Silvagni) or not ready (Smith, Pearce, Vandeleur).

If he does play on next year it leaves two questions in regards to Frawley.
1. Will he be best 22? (As either a defender or forward)
2. Is he worth the money considering what we've already got (ie players almost as good etc.)?
I'd suggest that it'd be a yes and a no to these questions and we'd be better off waiting until 2015 or whenever it is that McPharlin hangs up the boots. Who knows if you're right and he he does play another 2-3 years we may not have to bother using free agency to replace him at all.

I think Tanner Smith could be the bloke...he might be ready in a year. I'm not that concerned on McPharlins replacement tbh for reasons I've already given. And for all the hype about Frawley it was only a year ago he was being widely derided in the press for a very poor season. One good game and we forget eh?

I agree with the above about smith and pearce, but given we would be down a starting KPD in Luke I'm sure we'll bring another in as cover, hence my call above - I was in no way saying these two young guys won't be up to the task by next year ..

I think Tanner Smith could be the bloke...he might be ready in a year. I'm not that concerned on McPharlins replacement tbh for reasons I've already given. And for all the hype about Frawley it was only a year ago he was being widely derided in the press for a very poor season. One good game and we forget eh?
One bad season doesn't make him a bad player. Under that logic no one in the afl would want Michael Johnson after his 2010(around then) season. Players bounce back. He's got more All Australian jerseys than most of our best 22. I wouldn't write him off because if he does move and join a top 4 team he'll be back to levels he once was at.

Highly doubt we'll get Frawley anyway but I wouldn't judge any player off one bad season. If you want my opinion on this matter I actually think that Frawley (and Tom McDonald) do a decent job considering the standard of defensive pressure put up by Melbournes midfield. I think it's hard to judge him amongst the top line defenders of the league for this reason. Every defender on the list that was posted earlier at worst plays for a team in contention for finals. It'd be very interesting to see some of those guys placed in Frawleys position at Melbourne and see how they go.

Watching the Dees v GC now, didn't realise how quick Frawley is for a big man. Finished with a nice goal too.

With Harry out of the frame I wouldn't be against a move for him. Gumby is such an unknown atm,

I reckon Frawley is a good swing man, he would be a good fit. The only way we get him is if we pay overs because plenty of Vic clubs will be chasing him.

Watching the Dees v GC now, didn't realise how quick Frawley is for a big man. Finished with a nice goal too.

With Harry out of the frame I wouldn't be against a move for him. Gumby is such an unknown atm,

I reckon Frawley is a good swing man, he would be a good fit. The only way we get him is if we pay overs because plenty of Vic clubs will be chasing him.

Agreed, would have had a couple more goals if he didn't drop an easy chest mark and Chris Dawes hadn't spoiled his own man about 3 times.

He would cover the 'age gap' in our KPPs. Will be expensive though.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back