James Frawley to Fremantle?

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
I don't think the Veteran's allowance will exist then, the AFL is phasing it out.

I didn't realise that the AFL were phasing it out. I thought they were pretty happy with it.

However, either way, it only applies to players who have been 10 years or more at the one club - Frawley wouldn't qualify anyway (unless he stays at Melbourne).

You only have to look at North to see how the extra injection of one quality player can make a huge difference. IMO Dal Santo is the difference between where they are this year as opposed to last year. Beggars can't be choosers and we need to leave no stone unturned, we have the foundation, we just need a touch more cream..

Sell the farm for Pav, he certainly deserves at least one last genuine shot at a flag.

If it backfires so be it, there's a reasonable chance GC/GWS will make whatever we do now moot in the next few years anyway.

How realistic could we land Frawley with such a deal? We've tried so hard to get players over here in WA and so very very often they refuse, for one reason or another. And i don't blame them tbh. Freo is a great team but the fortnightly grueling travel regime isn't entirely enticing.

I just don’t know if he’s worth this much on the back of this season. And the last Melbourne player we got hasn’t gone to plan yet. But time will tell and sometimes you just need to take the risks. If you stagnate in this game you’ll be found out all too quickly.

...Sick of this don't pay overs obsession, it's about assembling the best list you can. End rant.

You can't pay overs for players. It isn't about getting the best players, it is about assembling the best team. We are better off just consistently replacing the weakest links in our teams with upgrades via trade/draft/FA than trying to do what Sydney does and buying in high end talent. If we try to go down that road, we will end up in a bidding war with Sydney for the high end players which we can't win.

Play moneyball at the trade table. We need to pick up players with perceived flaws for less coin and optimise our list that way. We need to move on players that are highly rated outside the club that are not performing to the necessary level for some reason to allow us to bring in needed players.

Emotion can't play a part in these deals, or we are already losing our negotiations. This is why I was glad we let Mitch Clark walk to Melbourne. The Fremantle of old would have mortgaged our future (and our childrens future) to put him in purple.

Any player we can get for significantly less than their woth on the open market should be considered if it will allow us to replace a similar player at a net profit. Clubs like Collingwood / Hawthorn / Essendon / Carlton have lured players with tradition and prestige. This allowed them long periods of sustained success. Sydney has lured players recently by backing trucks of money to their front door. We need to lure players to Freo. We can't compete the Sydney way. We need to use WA players homesickness, the promise of playing finals footy (which we will for a while with our youth). Putting a strong team together is about optimisation of the strength of the team, not individual players.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

You can't pay overs for players. It isn't about getting the best players, it is about assembling the best team. We are better off just consistently replacing the weakest links in our teams with upgrades via trade/draft/FA than trying to do what Sydney does and buying in high end talent. If we try to go down that road, we will end up in a bidding war with Sydney for the high end players which we can't win.

Play moneyball at the trade table. We need to pick up players with perceived flaws for less coin and optimise our list that way. We need to move on players that are highly rated outside the club that are not performing to the necessary level for some reason to allow us to bring in needed players.

Emotion can't play a part in these deals, or we are already losing our negotiations. This is why I was glad we let Mitch Clark walk to Melbourne. The Fremantle of old would have mortgaged our future (and our childrens future) to put him in purple.

Any player we can get for significantly less than their woth on the open market should be considered if it will allow us to replace a similar player at a net profit. Clubs like Collingwood / Hawthorn / Essendon / Carlton have lured players with tradition and prestige. This allowed them long periods of sustained success. Sydney has lured players recently by backing trucks of money to their front door. We need to lure players to Freo. We can't compete the Sydney way. We need to use WA players homesickness, the promise of playing finals footy (which we will for a while with our youth). Putting a strong team together is about optimisation of the strength of the team, not individual players.

I think our depth is very good, we just need a bit more top end talent. With Pav, Mundy, Sandi, Johnson all the other side of 29 and all A graders, so we either need to win a premiership now or wait 3-4 years and try again when the 25-18 groups comes through.

We badly need another key forward, a lock down back who is a good user and a key back.

A may be dreaming but if we were able to get Ryder or Frawley, Goddard with our 1st pick, Josh Glenn with our 2nd pick (Has played 2 years for Central Districts, is a very good defensively and has great skills) I think we will have addressed all our needs.

With out one of Frawley or Ryder I think we will finish top 4 again, but won't make it to the GF.

Next year we will have players like Sheridan, Morabito, Simpson, Crozier, C Pearce all pushing into the 22 with Suban, D Pearce, etc etc trying to hold their spot so we really good with depth, sometimes you just need more top end quality.

I didn't realise that the AFL were phasing it out. I thought they were pretty happy with it.

However, either way, it only applies to players who have been 10 years or more at the one club - Frawley wouldn't qualify anyway (unless he stays at Melbourne).

http://www.afl.com.au/news/2014-04-11/clock-ticking-on-veterans-allowance

THE VETERANS' allowance is more likely to be phased out over time than cut immediately if it is scrapped as part of the AFL's equalisation push.

The allowance – which allows clubs to pay 10-year players $118,380 outside the salary cap – remains the subject of debate as the mid-term review of the Collective Bargaining Agreement moves nearer to completion.

The AFL advised clubs pre-season it wanted to abolish the veterans' allowance and replace it with an extra $400,000 in the salary cap to achieve its equalisation policy objective to remove draft anomalies.

Top post.

I'm a bit miffed that we could be offering frawley 7 years and fyfe only signed for three...

Frawley for 5 I could handle, 7 takes him through to 33 which is pretty generous I would have thought, and all in the back of my mind is that nagging thought that if we don't win the flag next year we will have to begin rebuilding which goes against the premise of offering frawley the drug money he will be getting

Contract length is not necessarily the key factor in determining how good a player is.

Fyfe would NOT want a super long contract, because the sky is the limit with him. After those three years he is likely to command even more money than his current deal. Players should only put themselves in long term contracts if they feel they have reached their peak. It's a 2 way street, but people always see it from the club perspective.

For Frawley, he is 26 and probably at the peak of his powers now, so now is the perfect time for him to go for a long term contract.

Last edited:
Fyfe would NOT want a super long contract, because the sky is the limit with him. After those three years he is likely to command even more money than his current deal. Players should only put themselves in long term contracts if they feel they have reached their peak. It's a 2 way street, but people always see it from the club perspective.

For Frawley, he is 26 and probably at the peak of his powers now, so now is the perfect time for him to go for a long term contract.

The TV rights deal is also renegotiated in 2016, meaning most likely an increased salary cap and more cash for players, hence Fyfe will be coming out of contract and will get a better deal than if he signed for 5/6 years initially (I think..)

Given the size of the contract being offered to Frawley I'd like to think that Freo execs are not jeopardizing the future of the FFC.

I guess we can all be forgiven in thinking that we're still experiencing the Connolley/Schwabb days.

You can't pay overs for players. It isn't about getting the best players, it is about assembling the best team. We are better off just consistently replacing the weakest links in our teams with upgrades via trade/draft/FA than trying to do what Sydney does and buying in high end talent.
I agree with you but Sydney doesn't just buy in high end talent, they secured Kennedy and McGlynn through a trade with Hawthorn. The list goes on with Sydney and their ability to trade for solid players that weren't getting the right shot at their initial clubs. They are actually more adept at exactly what you are emphasizing however at the same time they have also gone and splashed on 2 big players in Tippett and Franklin.

There is a place for making a splash on a player that can make a difference and in our case Frawley is a versatile KPP that we can use for the next 5-7 years at either end of the ground.

I agree with you but Sydney doesn't just buy in high end talent, they secured Kennedy and McGlynn through a trade with Hawthorn. The list goes on with Sydney and their ability to trade for solid players that weren't getting the right shot at their initial clubs. They are actually more adept at exactly what you are emphasizing however at the same time they have also gone and splashed on 2 big players in Tippett and Franklin.

There is a place for making a splash on a player that can make a difference and in our case Frawley is a versatile KPP that we can use for the next 5-7 years at either end of the ground.
Born in 1988. Will be 27 next year. Realistically we'll get 5 years out of him, tops. More likely 4.

agree, throw the kitchen sink at Frawley.
None of this, its paying overs business. Its just the market. gotta loose a couple to gain a big fish. e.g.. sydney will loose mitchell possibly... and mumford at swans...
give frawley 6 years. Nice job for the misses . maybe skeak harry o too. (as much as i don't like the man) . he is a big body, that can run. We have to be bold otherwise we will fall off perch and dwindle into medicority while GWS and Gold Coast rise.

Frawley is currently 25 turning 26 tomorrow (20 Sep) his 7 year contract will take him to his 32nd birthday.

And as for our current big men....

Pavlich is playing until he is at least 33 (B: Dec 1981)
Sandi is playing until he is at least 32 (B: Dec 1982)
McPharlin is most likely retiring at 32 (B: Dec 1981)

Based on that, I don't mind the length of the contract. The money shouldn't be an issue either given salary caps will increase so effectively $600k today is worth less than $600k in year 5, 6 or 7.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back