James Frawley to Fremantle?

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.

I reckon I could count on hand the amount of games where I thought Gibbs wasn't a front running squib with a heart bigger than a pea. He's a slightly prettier Ryan Lonie.
Lol.

He reminds me a bit of Brendan Goddard before Lyon came to St Kilda, who was also accused of being soft.

Nah at least Goddard gave a s**t
You're forgetting how often he pulled out of contests.

Gibbs has been at Carlton too long to fix him, but he certainly would be better in a new environment.

If Harry Taylor :cool: is on $600,000 a year and he is superior to Frawley (in my opinion) then I think Frawley is worth about $450,000-$500,000

What the hell does Harry Taylor's wage have to do with things?

He didn't want to come here. Just like every other key position player we have tried to lure over here.

When are people going to realise that the market will dictate what players are worth? Getting them to WA is probably going to cost us some money and Pavlich and McPharlin are not going to be around forever.

We do not have adequate youngsters to replace them (None of Smith, Apeness, Taberner, Pearce have proven that they are skilfull or resilient enough to be full time AFL players).

If McPharlin retires at the end of the year or gets a knee injury or something, we have Silvagni as the only backup.

Remember when we were going to pick up Dawson and everyone around here said "why do we want him? We have Silvagni."?

What the hell does Harry Taylor's wage have to do with things?

He didn't want to come here. Just like every other key position player we have tried to lure over here.

When are people going to realise that the market will dictate what players are worth? Getting them to WA is probably going to cost us some money and Pavlich and McPharlin are not going to be around forever.

We do not have adequate youngsters to replace them (None of Smith, Apeness, Taberner, Pearce have proven that they are skilfull or resilient enough to be full time AFL players).

If McPharlin retires at the end of the year or gets a knee injury or something, we have Silvagni as the only backup.

Remember when we were going to pick up Dawson and everyone around here said "why do we want him? We have Silvagni."?

I do remember Dawson coming over, we got a best 22 full back for practically nothing. So we have a history of doing that.

The market will dictate what Frawley is worth but if the choice came down to Pendlebury (who is on that money), Dangerfield or Frawley and each cost $800,000 I would take the midfielder and use our athletic tall spoiler (Taberner etc) as a role playing key back.

I do remember Dawson coming over, we got a best 22 full back for practically nothing. So we have a history of doing that.

The market will dictate what Frawley is worth but if the choice came down to Pendlebury (who is on that money), Dangerfield or Frawley and each cost $800,000 I would take the midfielder and use our athletic tall spoiler (Taberner etc) as a role playing key back.

You know what? With Ross Lyon as our coach, I reckon that would work about 80% of the time.

But we want to win finals and grand finals and I don't think you can do that without good key position players.
Another elite mid and more tall untried rookies isn't going to get the job done against top 4 teams in finals and grand finals.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

The market is guided by wants and needs. I'm guessing that if Carlton and MelTANK were to cut everyone else off and make a direct trade Gibbs for Frawley, the Blues would think they got the deal of the decade.
What Freo wants right now is not a softish downhill skier halfback/midfielder. We want/need a readymade reliable KP backman to relieve an impending problem when Macca retires. Frawley, in this case not only fits that description, but would be worth paying a quite a lot more for than Gibbs. But the unrealistic belief that either of them would command 800k is fanciful stuff put about by player managers. I doubt Bondy would be showing much more than a passing interest in Gibbs.

*sigh*

One year it is Get Jacqueline, (where's my dinner, mummy?)" Watts, the next it is Get "Beat the s**t out of a guy in a back alley" Frawley to save us from impending doom when McP finishes.

*sigh*

One year it is Get Jacqueline, (where's my dinner, mummy?)" Watts, the next it is Get "Beat the s**t out of a guy in a back alley" Frawley to save us from impending doom when McP finishes.
Are you suggesting that if we just ignore the situation with Macca - it will not rear it's head? Frawley is on the market and would suit our needs well while our younger KPDs develop.

Are you suggesting that if we just ignore the situation with Macca - it will not rear it's head? Frawley is on the market and would suit our needs well while our younger KPDs develop.

I'm not suggesting anything of the sort, and a player of his quality and longevity will be impossible to replace.

However, we have guys like Tanner Smith developing, (albeit injured), and A. Pearce looks likely, and coulda's best mate Silvagni waiting in the wings.

I'm not as certain as most that McP is done at years end. But I am certain that every hack, or average player, who is up for RFA or FA, or apparently disenchanted at his club, is suddenly a "must get" for Fremantle.

It's patently absurd at times with some of the names and money being discussed.

So that translates to both of them being worth 800k? Nice logic, champ.
I think that a talented midfield will cover the cracks in the talent at the far ends of the ground.

So I'd rather by a mid with $800,000

So if Gibbs is worth 800k, what's Fyfe and Mundy worth? 8 million? 10? 20?

Gibbs is worth 400k a season, tops. Even that is more than I'd pay for a guy who plays well when there's no heat in the kitchen. I don't recall him once stepping up and dragging his team over the line. I've seen him dodge plenty of contests and play well on the outside when his teammates get dirty on the inside. But I've never seen him grab a game by the scruff of the neck. And if you think mids will cover a lack of KPP, you're delusional. If that were the case we could have Hannath and Silvagni at each end and a bunch of mids running around and win flags. Every flag in recent memory has had good key position stocks, bar the Egirls. But they used drugs to increase their ability to run (seriously - coke and amphetamines are PEDs)

Geelong Hawkins/pods - Taylor/Scarlett
Hawks - Buddy/Roughy/Gunston - Lake/Gibson
Collingwood - Cloke/Dawes - Reid/Brown
Sydney - Reid/White/Pyke/Mumford - Granted Richards and Grundy were servicable

But even in 05 Sydney had Barry Hall and Adam goodes floating through as a tall forward. Funny how they've identified the need for really good talls hence the recruitment of Buddy/Tippett

Hawks are currently dominating through the use of 4 talls in attack. Lake a KPD completed them.

To be a dominant team you need both a good midfield and good talls. It's that simple.

Last edited:
Premierships make average players look good.
So if Gibbs is worth 800k, what's Fyfe and Mundy worth? 8 million? 10? 20?

Gibbs is worth 400k a season, tops. Even that is more than I'd pay for a guy who plays well when there's no heat in the kitchen. I don't recall him once stepping up and dragging his team over the line. I've seen him dodge plenty of contests and play well on the outside when his teammates get dirty on the inside. But I've never seen him grab a game by the scruff of the neck. And if you think mids will cover a lack of KPD, you're delusional. If that were the case we could have Hannath and Silvagni at each end and a bunch of mids running around and win flags.

Like the Eagles did?

I'm not suggesting anything of the sort, and a player of his quality and longevity will be impossible to replace.

However, we have guys like Tanner Smith developing, (albeit injured), and A. Pearce looks likely, and coulda's best mate Silvagni waiting in the wings.

I'm not as certain as most that McP is done at years end. But I am certain that every hack, or average player, who is up for RFA or FA, or apparently disenchanted at his club, is suddenly a "must get" for Fremantle.

Yeh, that's true. I'm not certain Macca will be gone by 2015 either. But there are several FA and RFA players available at year's end. This is not a "must get" crusade for all of them. Frawley is simply in the "bloody handy for us" basket and that is why it is creating so much discussion here. Those young players you mention are our future. However, we are in a peak of the flag winning cycle and someone like Frawley is a player for right now and is certainly not a hack. Surely the match last weekend clearly showed a flaw in our depth without a ready KPD to replace Dawson?

I don't think you can responsibly include Smith or Pearce as AFL key defenders. Smith is currently in his second half season injury in his second season and Pearce isn't 5 rounds into his AFL career and he's injured too.

Being a good key position player is only half the battle. The ability to play 15 or 16 games or more year is extremely important. Just ask Gumby.

If McPharlin retires at the end of the year, Silvagni takes his spot and we will have no backup.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back