James Frawley

Remove this Banner Ad

The alternative is to throw yourself on the tender mercies of the AFL, and hope that they give band 1 compensation ... which is unlikely unless someone does pay him in the 800k range.
Thomas got band 1 compo for 5 years x 625k, so that's a guide as to what clubs will need to offer.

As if you wouldn't ask for 800k. Is he worth it? No way, but Melbourne have to pay someone.

Suck it up, if we lose one of the best KPD's in the game we deserve something pretty damn good.

I can see the benefit is the way free agency works - although I don't like it.

Hawks win the flag and lose Buddy - no way should they get a good draft pick. They don't need to improve.

Melb lose frawley - they need early picks to help improve.

It will rarely be market value for a player - either over or unders depending on ladder position and how much help you need at the time.

You'd pay him that figure to add him to White and Lynch who robbed Collingwood blind with three and two year deals.

No we paid that figure to Cloke. Carlton should have hit him with a 5 year @ 1M/year deal and tried to shake him loose. But you preferred to pay Daisy $700k for 4 years instead, good player but not KPP by any means.
If you don't think Carlton will go after Frawley to help your structure you're even deeper in la la land than anyone thought.

No we paid that figure to Cloke. Carlton should have hit him with a 5 year @ 1M/year deal and tried to shake him loose. But you preferred to pay Daisy $700k for 4 years instead, good player but not KPP by any means.
If you don't think Carlton will go after Frawley to help your structure you're even deeper in la la land than anyone thought.

Of course we'll look at Frawley, but not at $800k. No way on gods green earth is he worth that sort of coin.
Jury is still out on Thomas - happy to give him to the second half of the year to see how he goes.
He has missed a heap of footy.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

You paid that figure to Cloke and gave three years to White thanks to Carlton showing interest. That's free agency. Plus a deal with Channel Nine.

Thomas didn't get 700K. Will earn his money more than White and Lynch.

People are missing the point if they think Frawley and Cloke would have made a difference in round three. Even Roughead struggled against Essendon the previous week. Problem was attitude and workrate, rather than having elite KPP and more talent.

Carlton had 29 i50s on Sunday night. A key forward would not have made any difference to the outcome of the match, or even the margin. You're kidding yourself if you think our biggest problem is a lack of KPPs. We struggle to get the ball to the KPPs we have.

Of course we'll look at Frawley, but not at $800k. No way on gods green earth is he worth that sort of coin.
Jury is still out on Thomas - happy to give him to the second half of the year to see how he goes.
He has missed a heap of footy.

I'd agree he's not 'worth' that much but this is FA and he's probably going to get it or go close to it. And I agree that Daisy will add to you run if he can get that bounce back again as well.
I suspect Carlton will make a strong play for Frawley by seasons end and he'd help your structure no end because you need to build the bookends first and fill in the middle as you go.

You paid that figure to Cloke and gave three years to White thanks to Carlton showing interest. That's free agency. Plus a deal with Channel Nine.

Thomas didn't get 700K. Will earn his money more than White and Lynch.

People are missing the point if they think Frawley and Cloke would have made a difference in round three. Even Roughead struggled against Essendon the previous week. Problem was attitude and workrate, rather than having elite KPP and more talent.

More than happy to have White on board, gives us some flexibility and hopefully he can build on some of the form he showed last year at the Swans. Lynch not quite so much but he's some form of insurance and in all honesty even if he doesn't play another game I'll always be thankful he helped sink you blokes last year.
Quality KPP are like gold and you don't get many chances to snaffle one up. Land Cloke a couple of years ago and Frawley this year and you've suddenly made your team a whole lot better in a short period of time.

Carlton had 29 i50s on Sunday night. A key forward would not have made any difference to the outcome of the match, or even the margin. You're kidding yourself if you think our biggest problem is a lack of KPPs. We struggle to get the ball to the KPPs we have.

I'd assume you'd realise you wouldn't just have been recruiting them just for last Sunday nights game.
When you have many problems work on the biggest ones first and if you don't think that's quality KPP you're even more clueless than I though you were.

I'd assume you'd realise you wouldn't just have been recruiting them just for last Sunday nights game.
When you have many problems work on the biggest ones first and if you don't think that's quality KPP you're even more clueless than I though you were.
Once again, I never said KPPs weren't a problem. I just said it wasn't our biggest problem. Please read my posts properly if you're going to try call me clueless, makes you look like a fool.

What would be the point of having Cloke at full forward if our midfield is too slow and lazy to get the ball to him. I used Sunday night as an example. Fact is, our midfield struggles on a weekly basis.

Once again, I never said KPPs weren't a problem. I just said it wasn't our biggest problem. Please read my posts properly if you're going to try call me clueless, makes you look like a fool.

What would be the point of having Cloke at full forward if our midfield is too slow and lazy to get the ball to him. I used Sunday night as an example. Fact is, our midfield struggles on a weekly basis.

It is your biggest problem. They are hard to find, midfielders not quite so much. 2 big KPP in FA and draft your guts out on midfielders, they're easier to find and develop quicker. It's not rocket science.

It is your biggest problem. They are hard to find, midfielders not quite so much. 2 big KPP in FA and draft your guts out on midfielders, they're easier to find and develop quicker. It's not rocket science.

So because they're hard to find they're our biggest problem?

Most identify a club's biggest problem as an area that is struggling the most & something that needs fixing ASAP in order to see improvement. But not you. Good to know.

So because they're hard to find they're our biggest problem?

Most identify a club's biggest problem as an area that is struggling the most & something that needs fixing ASAP in order to see improvement. But not you. Good to know.

Couldn't get any more ASAP than 2 ready to go KPP within a couple if years.
Do you want me to write it out in crayon for you?

Couldn't get any more ASAP than 2 ready to go KPP within a couple if years.

And that's where we differ. We need players who will be in their prime in 4 or 5 years. Not players who will be ready to nearly retire. It's the age of Frawley which makes him an unsuitable match for us. If we're going for the full rebuild (which I hope we are) then getting a player who will be 26 next year, wants 800k & will cost us a compo pick (if Gibbs leaves) is counterproductive.

And that's where we differ. We need players who will be in their prime in 4 or 5 years. Not players who will be ready to nearly retire. It's the age of Frawley which makes him an unsuitable match for us. If we're going for the full rebuild (which I hope we are) then getting a player who will be 26 next year, wants 800k & will cost us a compo pick (if Gibbs leaves) is counterproductive.

Rubbish. If you could've/did land Cloke and Frawley and drafted 3 'quality' mids in the last 2 years and this year you'd be a totally different side in 2 years time.
Assuming you can get someone to get them all to play with some heart that is of course.

Rubbish. If you could've/did land Cloke and Frawley and drafted 3 'quality' mids in the last 2 years and this year you'd be a totally different side in 2 years time.
Assuming you can get someone to get them all to play with some heart that is of course.

It astounds me how you are not an AFL list manager already.

How would propose we afford Cloke on close to 1 mil per year and now Frawley on 800?

Remove this Banner Ad

Back