James Frawley

Remove this Banner Ad

Freo will be right up there for the flag next year. After that possibly as well. Cats on the way down you would have thought however love proving us wrong. Have the star power but I wouldn't tip them for a flag in next few years.
Neither Freo or Geelong will win the flag next year, unless.

1. Freo recruit a star power forward, and and a decent tall defender.

2. Geelong find a ruckman able to stay on the park and influence games, or find another star key forward to help Hawkins. Not to mention a fast track in improvement from a few inside mids.

Geelong trying to recruit Frawley is more about 2016 onwards.

I'm inclined to agree with you somewhat, but I can't see Freo having enough firepower up forward to be in true contention for the flag. As good as Pavlich has been, he's declining rapidly..

Neither Freo or Geelong will win the flag next year, unless.

1. Freo recruit a star power forward, and and a decent tall defender.

2. Geelong find a ruckman able to stay on the park and influence games, or find another star key forward to help Hawkins. Not to mention a fast track in improvement from a few inside mids.

Geelong trying to recruit Frawley is more about 2016 onwards.

I'm inclined to agree with you somewhat, but I can't see Freo having enough firepower up forward to be in true contention for the flag. As good as Pavlich has been, he's declining rapidly..

If Frawley does decide to play for freo next year we've instantly improved.

Pav will decline further but that should be offset with improvement from Walters,Crozier and Taberner.

I'm obviously biased,but with a preseason to fine tune our offensive game plan which started surfacing late in the H&A season will further improve us.

Freo then just need to be fit and healthy when the whips are cracking.

Sheehan said something on TAC cup future stars that hints Melbourne might not get pick 3 for Frawley.

They're not going to overrule the 'formula' unless the result is ridiculous. Pick 3 is not ridiculous (21 would be).

Edit: OK so it was Terry Wallet saying he's not worth as much as Buddy bah blah blah, Sheehan just explained the process and that there's the commission that makes recommendations after the formula result. Nothing new.

Last edited:
They're not going to overrule the 'formula' unless the result is ridiculous. Pick 3 is not ridiculous (21 would be).

Edit: OK so it was Terry Wallet saying he's not worth as much as Buddy bah blah blah, Sheehan just explained the process and that there's the commission that makes recommendations after the formula result. Nothing new.

Melbourne could get a middle of the first round pick, which will be pick 10/11

The AFL won't overrule the compo. The FA system was set up to help bad teams poach players from good teams and it's already doing the opposite. P3 is the least we deserve for losing 4 of our senior players in 3 years while the top teams have lost maybe 1 each and picked up several.

You maybe right, but on the TAC future stars show,Sheehan said that the committee can overwrite the calculation and can make it a middle of the first round pick.
Fair enough. But if they didn't over rule the Buddy pick, they couldn't justify over ruling band 1 for Frawley. Who knows though, they just make it up as they go.

It was the first I heard about it. Sheehan should know and not the surprised that the AFL can make up their laws that suits them. The formula seem more objective than a committee.
Nah the committee being able to overrule isn't new. From the AFL website:

"In applying the formula, an expert committee reviews the formula outcomes. The committee has the power to recommend alternative outcomes to GM – Football Operations where the formula produces a materially anomalous result."

(Log in to remove this ad.)

If Frawley gets around $500/$600 k p.a over 5 years, I'd be shocked if that doesn't instigate band 1 compo. No way AFL overrule that and give them a lessor pick.

there is a reason why 3 of the top 4 clubs are after him, he would have been handy for NM on friday night
Yeah. Scott Thompson might as well have been a mosquito on Franklin's back, such was his uselessness. Frawley on the other hand as far as I can remember has never conceded more than 2-3 goals to Franklin since his AA year, despite our midfield being pulverised by Hawthorn's every time.

If Frawley gets around $500/$600 k p.a over 5 years, I'd be shocked if that doesn't instigate band 1 compo. No way AFL overrule that and give them a lessor pick.
$500k is nowhere near the top players in the competition. The band 1 pick is for clubs losing players of the calibre of buddy and gaz

At the time, Thomas would have been considered the better player. I understand as well that he is on closer to $700k to $800k. If Frawley moves for $500k then you won't get band 1

I tend to agree, $500k would be borderline band 1/2, however I think in this case they'll step in and increase the compensation, that way they can assist the club but not piss everyone else off by handing out a priority pick.

It will be interesting to see where he goes though.

At the time, Thomas would have been considered the better player. I understand as well that he is on closer to $700k to $800k. If Frawley moves for $500k then you won't get band 1
Says who. Most sources say he's on ~620K, 4 year deal though. If Frawley gets a 5 or 6 year deal it will be band 1 in all likelihood.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back