James Frawley

Remove this Banner Ad

Maybe if your club was run like a professional organization you would having nothing to complain about.
Seems the MFC is built on a culture of handouts and being hard done by.....roll the Benny Hill theme music.
Maybe the management at MFC need to put there heads down and get stuck into some hard work, rather than looking for the soft option.

You build your own success.....did Hawthorn complain when Buddy left. No, they just got on with it.
Losing Buddy might turn out to be a blessing in disguise.

Most of your points are fair & valid but it's a lot easier to take losing a player (even as elite as Buddy) I suppose when you've just won a flag.

Back to back flags & kudos to Hawthorn but surely continually having the better players leaving the lower clubs for high finishing clubs isn't great for footy?

The majority of this is our own fault but gee timing can also be everything & I'm not sure you wouldn't be crowing so much if the shoe was on the other foot & it was say 9-10 yrs ago when the hawks were trying to climb the ladder & had your better players being picked off.

Seems to be a lot of sour grapes. I am very disappointed that we couldn't lure Frawley over West but at the end of the day the choice was his and you can't blame him. Every player wants to play for a successful club and what better club to choose that has been in the last three grand finals and one the last two. I think he served his time at Melbourne getting beaten week in week out so he is well within his rights to choose where ever he plays next year and the Demons get compensated accordingly. Whether the compensation is overs of what everyone thinks then that's just bad luck, that's the rules.

I don't see what you are complaining about.....it's not like Hawthorn have a COLA. We operate on the same conditions as at least 16 other clubs.
It's been said 100 times already, but we can say it again for your benefit.....$1mil gap in TPP created by Buddy departure. And, it is widely known that Hawthorn have a player payment system that was implemented by the playing group and if you don't want to fit within that structure, then you are free to leave.

FA is a monster created by the players....your club had just as much opportunity to nab Frawley, but your club was either not interested, or Frawley did not want to come to Adelaide.
I'm not complaining for my team..how come he doesn't choose a team in the middle that needs a bit of experience? naaa might take the easy ride towards a premiership..the blokes just a toss.

Freo tried but players are frightened of flying. If any teams need a retention allowance it is WC and Freo for this fact alone

Here we go.....another one posturing for a handout. Creating artificial imbalances is not the answer. You only have to look at the COLA Swans and compare with Hawthorn to see that.

The age of entitlement is over.

Build the right culture and they will come.....just ask Paddy Rydrr and Port Adelaide

There is a finite amount of ready-made players... and a ready-made player is way more likely to chase success. Which gives successful clubs the box seat. However, it is possible to become a successful club and attract ready-made players... Do you think Ryder would have named Port as his priority 2 years ago?
That's exactly the point though. Port changed themselves from that rabble of two years ago to what they are now. Its not our fault that rabble teams can't sort themselves out so that they can benefit too.

Most of your points are fair & valid but it's a lot easier to take Iosing a player (even as elite as Buddy) I suppose when you've just one a flag.

Back to back flags & kudos to Hawthorn but surely continually having the better players leaving the lower clubs for high finishing clubs isn't great for footy?

The majority of this is our own fault but gee timing can also be everything & I'm not sure you would be crowing so much if the shoe was on the other foot & it was say 9-10 yrs ago when the hawks were trying to climb the ladder & had your better players being picked off.
I can definitely understand your pain, I am a Freo supporter after all and have had my fair share of heart ache over the years, but its not as if your not getting him for anything. If it is band 1 compensation then you are getting massive massive overs and if your getting band 2 then you are probably getting what you would on the open market for him.

I'm not complaining for my team..how come he doesn't choose a team in the middle that needs a bit of experience? naaa might take the easy ride towards a premiership..the blokes just a toss.
Really??? He's played for Melbourne your whole career and you expect him to choose a team in the middle, rather than chasing immediate success???

If I'm Frawley, I'm going to the best team that puts a contract in front of me, regardless of the pay... I'm sick to death of losing football games

You will have to ask him that question, but what is apparent is that he has chosen success over money.....what would would people say if he did take an offer of $800k for 5 years. He would be called a mercenary. Hawthorn apparently offering just over half of what he was reportedly looking for earlier in the year.

And don't under-estimate the Hodge and Clarkson factor

That's exactly the point though. Port changed themselves from that rabble of two years ago to what they are now. Its not our fault that rabble teams can't sort themselves out so that they can benefit too.

Absolutely.....success comes from hard work, not handouts.
Hawthorn have a lot to be thankful to for Ian Dicker, Jeff Kennett, Jason Dunstall and Alistar Clarkson. Right people in the right positions.

You can probably say the same of Kochie (love him or hate him) at Port Adelaide.

Any idea if they pay him enough to break into Band 1 compensation? ie 700k or over?

Looking at Hawthorns list I don't think they will. If you pay Frawley 700k what are guys like Rioli and Gunston worth?

Any idea if they pay him enough to break into Band 1 compensation? ie 700k or over?

Looking at Hawthorns list I don't think they will. If you pay Frawley 700k what are guys like Rioli and Gunston worth?
I've only heard rumours so far - but substantially lower than 700 is what I have heard... maybe even lower than 500

They will be given band 1 compensation regardless of what Hawthorn pay him.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Dont think he would be paid that much at hawks

Most of your points are fair & valid but it's a lot easier to take losing a player (even as elite as Buddy) I suppose when you've just won a flag.

The majority of this is our own fault but gee timing can also be everything & I'm not sure you wouldn't be crowing so much if the shoe was on the other foot & it was say 9-10 yrs ago when the hawks were trying to climb the ladder & had your better players being picked off.

There is nothing to crow about....there are more important things in life than footy. But on the same token, you can't complain about another club that is being well managed and well run when your own club needs to lift its game.

Comparing losing Buddy to losing Frawley is hardly a fair comparison.
To be honest, we nearly lost Crawford to Collingwood, but he stayed and look how that panned out

Here we go.....another one posturing for a handout. Creating artificial imbalances is not the answer. You only have to look at the COLA Swans and compare with Hawthorn to see that.

The age of entitlement is over.

Build the right culture and they will come.....just ask Paddy Rydrr and Port Adelaide
Have a look at the quality of free agents or signings that both WC and Freo have managed to attract over here in the last few years, it is exponentially harder to sign players up over here compared to the Eastern States, still what would you expect in the VFL, sorry AFL

Why does he need to though? Because it's "good for footy"? Like he gives a toss. He's spent 8 years or whatever getting flogged at Melbourne and wants success, it's what players play this game for.

It's up to the clubs to change their perceptions to potential free agents.

Have a look at the quality of free agents or signings that both WC and Freo have managed to attract over here in the last few years, it is exponentially harder to sign players up over here compared to the Eastern States, still what would you expect in the VFL, sorry AFL

Aside from Simpkin (delisted FA), this is the first FA Hawthorn have attracted.
In the same time, we lost Capbell Brown to the expansion clubs, Buddy to the COLA, Clinton Young to Collingwood (no compensation), and Kennedy and Ben McGlynn got squeezed out through lack of opportunity.

Ross Lyon epitomizes the culture at Freeo.....Paul Roos style boring defensive football. Open the game up and play a more exciting brand of football and players will want to be a part of it....aka Port Adelaide.
Subi is the perfect venue to play an expansive attacking brand of football.

why do you keep mentioning swans? I know they recruit big name players on their list but hawks aren't far behind.

Hawks also have a habit of plundering players from clubs at their lowest point (e.g Bulldogs - Lake, Saints - Mcevoy, Dees - Frawley, Power - Burgoyne)

Just sour grapes - the Hawthorn footy club rose from the ashes of a near merger in 1996 and 18 years later is such a strong and powerful club that has now become a destination club. Brilliant coaching and very smart behind the scenes management.

The fact that 5 years after one of the most successful runs in footy history your club was on the point of being the minor party in a merger is pretty damning. Let's hope that next time Hawthorn fall down the ladder the members and fans stick by the club and don't leave it on its knees within 5 years of a successful era finishing. Thankfully there were a few motivated, passionate fans to push the case against the merger.

Hawks also have a habit of plundering players from clubs at their lowest point (e.g Bulldogs - Lake, Saints - Mcevoy, Dees - Frawley, Power - Burgoyne)
All bar Frawley had to be dealt with by the opposing club. They could have easily rejected our offers but they didn't

Remove this Banner Ad

Back