James Frawley

Remove this Banner Ad

Aside from Simpkin (delisted FA), this is the first FA Hawthorn have attracted.
In the same time, we lost Capbell Brown to the expansion clubs, Buddy to the COLA, Clinton Young to Collingwood (no compensation), and Kennedy and Ben McGlynn got squeezed out through lack of opportunity.

Ross Lyon epitomizes the culture at Freeo.....Paul Roos style boring defensive football. Open the game up and play a more exciting brand of football and players will want to be a part of it....aka Port Adelaide.
Subi is the perfect venue to play an expansive attacking brand of football.
Tom Murphy to GC as well.

Dont think he would be paid that much at hawks

I think 700k is too much on the hawks list when he wouldn't be a top 8 player on the list. But I think Frawley would take 500k to play with you so that's why I'm interested.

The fact that 5 years after one of the most successful runs in footy history your club was on the point of being the minor party in a merger is pretty damning. Let's hope that next time Hawthorn fall down the ladder the members and fans stick by the club and don't leave it on its knees within 5 years of a successful era finishing. Thankfully there were a few motivated, passionate fans to push the case against the merger.
Just over 12,000 members of which I was one and was at Camberwell town hall and voted NO.

Aside from Simpkin (delisted FA), this is the first FA Hawthorn have attracted.
In the same time, we lost Capbell Brown to the expansion clubs, Buddy to the COLA, Clinton Young to Collingwood (no compensation), and Kennedy and Ben McGlynn got squeezed out through lack of opportunity.

Ross Lyon epitomizes the culture at Freeo.....Paul Roos style boring defensive football. Open the game up and play a more exciting brand of football and players will want to be a part of it....aka Port Adelaide.
Subi is the perfect venue to play an expansive attacking brand of football.
The same boring footy that kicked 13 goals against you in a half or 10 goals in a row against Port. Lucky for you guys we were cooked and had no KPD's by the start of the finals

There is nothing to crow about....there are more important things in life than footy. But on the same token, you can't complain about another club that is being well managed and well run when your own club needs to lift its game.

Comparing losing Buddy to losing Frawley is hardly a fair comparison.
To be honest, we nearly lost Crawford to Collingwood, but he stayed and look how that panned out

I don't think you read my post properly. I never criticised the hawks, in fact I congratulated them & it's not the hawks problem that we've been a basket case either.

I also didn't compare buddy vs chip, I merely suggested that losing an elite talent is probably somewhat soothed when you just won the flag like you did last year.

If I was hawthorn I would be doing exactly what they've done & secured the best available FA that also address a kpd need for the next 5 yrs or so.

For the good of footy it's not a good look but again it's not your problem, it's the AFL's & in this case MFC's problem. Hawks just doing what's best by them& operating within AFL rules as they stand.

Just love how Hawthorn recruits Frawley after winning the flag and pat themselves on the back for 'good list management' after canning the Swans after picking up Tippett doing the same when we had about $500k coming off the books that year.

Just love how Hawthorn recruits Frawley after winning the flag and pat themselves on the back for 'good list management' after canning the Swans after picking up Tippett doing the same when we had about $500k coming off the books that year.

Yet another one brainwashed by the AFL. I would suggest most were critical of Tiprats about turn when Sydney waved a pile of cash at him......

Most Hawthorn supporters took exception to the loss of a Hawthorn champ and the circumstances of his departure.

COLA had mInimal impact on the recruitment of Tiprat, but plenty to do with Buddy going to the Swans.

I doubt very much if you could have recruited Buddy if you didn't have the COLA.

The fact is that Sydney shot themselves in the foot by flaunting it.....and now crying hard done by.

Good list management is made a lot more difficult when you have to comply with the salary cap.

Yet another one brainwashed by the AFL. I would suggest most were critical of Tiprats about turn when Sydney waved a pile of cash at him......

Most Hawthorn supporters took exception to the loss of a Hawthorn champ and the circumstances of his departure.

COLA had mInimal impact on the recruitment of Tiprat, but plenty to do with Buddy going to the Swans.

I doubt very much if you could have recruited Buddy if you didn't have the COLA.

The fact is that Sydney shot themselves in the foot by flaunting it.....and now crying hard done by.

Good list management is made a lot more difficult when you have to comply with the salary cap.

Not discussing the Buddy deal. Understand why the Swans did the deal, but can understand why everybody else was cut up rough about it. The Tippett deal, the one I was talking about, copped a ridiculous amount of heat by COLA didn't come into the equation. Here's a look 2011 TPP (http://espn.go.com/espn/story/_/id/...telligence-global-salary-survey-espn-magazine) and you can see Swans are mid-league. The season we got Tippett was the same year Bradshaw's contract came off of our books and a number of players moved onto the veterans list.

As I just told a mate, not filthy that Hawthorn got Frawley - aside from that inherent disappointment a rival has gotten stronger - but I think it's a cop-out that the Swans were pillaged for a pretty similar situation.

Not discussing the Buddy deal. Understand why the Swans did the deal, but can understand why everybody else was cut up rough about it. The Tippett deal, the one I was talking about, copped a ridiculous amount of heat by COLA didn't come into the equation. Here's a look 2011 TPP (http://espn.go.com/espn/story/_/id/...telligence-global-salary-survey-espn-magazine) and you can see Swans are mid-league. The season we got Tippett was the same year Bradshaw's contract came off of our books and a number of players moved onto the veterans list.

As I just told a mate, not filthy that Hawthorn got Frawley - aside from that inherent disappointment a rival has gotten stronger - but I think it's a cop-out that the Swans were pillaged for a pretty similar situation.

When the dust had settled, I think most where of the view that Tiprat was within the standard salary cap, even if we were laughing at you guys for overpaying him.

It was the subsequent Buddy contract that tipped it over the edge.....after the heated debate of the year before with Tiprat, taking Buddy on $1mil a year was just rubbing everyone's face in it, and as a result the COLA got reviewed and deemed to be not in the interests of equalization.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

When the dust had settled, I think most where of the view that Tiprat was within the standard salary cap, even if we were laughing at you guys for overpaying him.

It was the subsequent Buddy contract that tipped it over the edge.....after the heated debate of the year before with Tiprat, taking Buddy on $1mil a year was just rubbing everyone's face in it, and as a result the COLA got reviewed and deemed to be not in the interests of equalization.

Expect this to happen with the current free agency system.

Expect this to happen with the current free agency system.

Agreed.....FA as it currently stands is a rort. This is what the players wanted, and the AFL obligued. That is what happens though when things are not properly thought out.

How on Earth did you draw that conclusion?

No CoLA, no Tippett or Buddy.

The whole 'well we could fit him into our TPP anyway' is meaningless because without the CoLA your TPP would've been different before Tippett even became available.

To be honest, I am not sure if you are having a dig at Hawthorn for recruiting Frawley on $500k a year (likely less than that), or having a dig at the COLA. But the incinuation is certainly that Hawthorns "good list managemt" is really a galaxy if they can somehow fit Frawley on on 500k.

I apologies if I have misinterpreted, so happy for you to point this out to me and I will retract.

I only know the generalities of FA, but if hawthorn are offereing 450k for frawley, cant melbourne just match it, which then forces hawthorn to trade for him. Even if he is a UFA, he shold be in the top 25% paywise at melbourne, meaning he will always remain a RFA (ala buddy). Or do melbourne think they will get a better outcome via free agency, than they would if they traded with hawthorn.

If the 450k figure is to be believed, dont think that would net them pick 3

explanation would be helpful

I only know the generalities of FA, but if hawthorn are offereing 450k for frawley, cant melbourne just match it, which then forces hawthorn to trade for him. Even if he is a UFA, he shold be in the top 25% paywise at melbourne, meaning he will always remain a RFA (ala buddy). Or do melbourne think they will get a better outcome via free agency, than they would if they traded with hawthorn.

If the 450k figure is to be believed, dont think that would net them pick 3

explanation would be helpful
His deal was frontended so he's not in the top 25% paid at Melbourne so he's an unrestricted FA this year.

Melbourne will absolutely get a better outcome than trading with Hawthorn. Hawthorn effectively get to trade a pick they never had for the player.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back