James Gwilt signed by The Injectors

VDS66

Brownlow Medallist
Oct 4, 2011
AFL Club
St Kilda
All I can say is...

James Gwilt: Love the guy, absolute gentleman. Have always had a soft spot for him since he kicked those goals in Adelaide. Didn't come through the established system and without the accolades foisted upon top draft recruits... even the ones that turn out duds.

James had forged a great career at the Saints and as mentioned, wasn't far off being a Premiership player. Best of luck whatever the future holds for him.

Clint Jones: Affectionately dubbed as Mr Indestructible by Lyon, Clint is another one of those state league players often overlooked by selectors due to his weaknesses. To his credit, he took his opportunity under Lyon to invent himself as a premium tagger. what you see is what you get with Clint, and you alwats knew you'd get 100% every week.

Whilst it is easy for we armchair experts to analyse and judge players, there should be only the utmost respect for Clint because he wasn't the most gifted or talented player to pull on the jumper. In a sense, he is just as, if not more successful than other champions because despite the odds, he built himself a good career... in other words, he got the most out of himself. And in 45 years, I have seen far greater players fall well short of the mark.

Nov 10, 2013
AFL Club
St Kilda
Jimmy Gwilt....
What a great story.
Love the fact you have PNG heritage (Go the Mosquitoes!)
Love how you came from obscurity in Noble Park playing suburban footy to play 126 games of AFL footy
Love that Jason Blake was your mentor through most of your career
Love how you flew under the radar but were loyal to the Sainters and gave it everything you had
Love how you were there with Lenny on your shoulders at the end of his career today
We were with you through the ups and downs, laughed and cried with you, kept the faith with you
You took on the crap jobs nobody else would do and copped it sweet for the team
Thanks for giving us a flash of colour when we looked like a bunch of white-boys who can't jump
Rawhide Jimmy!!

akeliz22

Debutant
Sep 4, 2011
AFL Club
St Kilda
"We still need to bring in some talent," Richardson said after his first season as a senior coach delivered just four wins.

"That is the journey we're on. We need to bring in young players.

"I think both those guys (Gwilt and Jones) could still potentially play a role depending where other footy clubs are at. But given where we're at ... we need to go to the draft."

Read more: http://news.smh.com.au/breaking-new...ss-to-crows-20140831-3emvw.html#ixzz3BxjJWRx2

I'll never forget the day that CJ kept Brent Harvey to 5 disposals. He was a seriously good tagger in his day, and made the most of the opportunities he was given. We may not have made the grand finals without him.

Leading up to him doing his knee, Gwilt was becoming one of our most damaging players. It's a shame he hasn't gotten back to that form, and that he was mostly made to play out of position for the last couple of years.

They both seem to be really liked and well respected at the club.

To be honest, I don't know why we're delisting Gwilt. Even if he isn't part of our plans, surely he has some sort of trade interest, or we could offer him a dummy contract and he could go as an unrestricted free agent. There's no compensation for a delisted free agent, right?

Curious George

All Australian
Dec 9, 2012
AFL Club
St Kilda
Best of luck for them in the future!
Sad to see another two go, but shows what direction the club is heading.
They served us well, with Gwilt battling against taller forwards, when we were undermanned and Jones becoming a realiable hard running tagger that would shut down some greats.

Curious George

All Australian
Dec 9, 2012
AFL Club
St Kilda
Fairly certain. I'm surprised it wasn't announced tonight. Making a decision on Fisher tomorrow also.

Pretty sure (and hoping) Fisher and Schneider will get another year.
There 200 + gamers and deserve a send off. And losing to many older senior players could turn us into a Melbourne type quickly, you need a balance to fasten the younger guys development. Fisher and Schneider seem like them blokes that could help out Bruce, wright etc. in the back and billings, Saunders etc. up forward.

I remember sitting up in the attic at a friends place watching to 05 QF when Harvs and Gwilty dominated. He was a unique player was Jimmy and I think that both Thommo and Ross had trouble working out what to do with him.

Personally I think Jimmy's best football was the first half of 2009 playing as a lead up half forward. I cant remember if he was dropped or injured but he would've been the difference on GF day imo.

Jones was a ball magnet who was reinvented. Ealry days I called him Roo Jr because I kept thinking he was Riewoldt, such was his look and running capacity.

Absolute gun when we were on top and always burned Ablett's (then) lack of two way running. I still cringe at the thought of that ******* checkside/banana from the wing late in the 09 GF though...

Wouldnt be shocked to see either one bob up on another teams list. Jones would be a handy depth replacement for Josh Hunt at the Giants for a year or two. They seem to be trying to grab a player or two from every successful club of the last decade.

Good luck to them both either way.

Id say they got wind of his potential deal at the Crows and felt that it wasnt worth putting on a charade for a 3rd rounder at best.

IF there is a deal, and we let him go for no chance at compo at all, then I think that tells us the club plan on hitting the draft hard in the first 30 picks and nothing there after.

just a question, is it becuase Gwilt was free agent that the saints woulld trade him? or did the saints know they wouldn't get much for him?

both. even if he was contracted he'd have barely any trade value, so theres no pointing signing him up just to get a trade that will never happen.

if a player is a FA, a club wont trade for them unless in the rare cases where clubs come to an agreement due to it affecting other compo. but these players usually have currency to begin with

gwilt will be lucky to find another home. clubs would only be interested if they can get him for free

felsty

Cancelled
Sep 21, 2012
AFL Club
St Kilda
Other Teams
New Orleans Saints
Pretty selfless thing to do .
Bloody oath, really epitomises the type of blokes these two are. No fanfare. No pizzazz. What you see is what you get and they were true clubman through and through.

You see smashers like Dayle Garlett who has more skill in his left pinky than Jones has in his entire body not make it because it's too hard.

These guys forged careers and were extremely successful in doing so. They should hold their heads high because we all see them in that sort of esteem - proud members of a once in a generation team!

Back