James Gwilt signed by The Injectors

Remove this Banner Ad

I would have been happy to see him sign with LITERALLY anyone except Essendon. Will slot in nicely when most of their best 22 misses 6 months I suppose.

Will we get any compo for this?

Last edited by a moderator:

No (for what seems to be the 100th time on this board, the other 99 being Manimal posting it) we did not de-list him, we chose not to offer him a contract. Completely different things.
Ok.

You still get nothing.

The afl website says as a Delisted free agent, which he isnt? I dont see how this is any different to any other player leaving at the end of a contract and their club receiving compensation?

Yeah, surely if they announce it during the free agency period he counts as a FA and not a delisted free agent. The delisted free agent period starts Nov 1 and as you say we haven't delisted him yet, he just hasn't been offered a contract.

"Essendon Football Club will officially lodge paperwork on Sunday which will see former St. Kilda defender James Gwilt join the club as a delisted free agent.
An experienced and agile defender Gwilt has agreed to terms on a one year deal with the Bombers as a delisted free agent."

http://www.essendonfc.com.au/news/2014-10-11/gwilt-to-become-a-bomber

Seems unlikely we will receive anything, considering its a 1 year deal.

No offence to James, but they appear to be preparing for player bans, desperately clutching on to any player that they don't have to pay anything for.

B&F next year will be:
Goddard
Chapman
Cooney
Gwilt
Winderlich

Did we delist him to help him find a home more easily?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

The argument is that he isnt really a delisted free agent as he was never delisted. Not being offered a contract isnt the same as there has been no list lodgments done yet.

He's likely got an agreement/contract in principal which kicks in during the delisted FA period, hence giving us zero compo.

It still makes no sense. We "ended" Dal Santo's contract last year but that did not make him a delisted free agent.

It still makes no sense. We "ended" Dal Santo's contract last year but that did not make him a delisted free agent.

We didn't delist him. We renegotiated his contract so the extra year wasn't activated, subsequently he became a restricted FA.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back