Delisted 34. James Parsons (2016-2020)

Remove this Banner Ad

Despite being touted as a potential ND selection, I actually think Parsons is probably the most raw in terms of game sense. But I also think he might have the highest ceiling of our selections.

Vdubs ..... stress fracture on his foot.... seems a very common injury in players coming to Geelong

http://www.geelongadvertiser.com.au...e/news-story/24f31232c66cdd93e1fd99b5df1714a1
NEW Geelong rookie James Parsons already knows how cruel footy can be.

After playing every available match for Eastern Ranges this year, the 18-year-old half-back felt something go on the outside of his foot in the TAC Cup semi-final against the Geelong Falcons.

Scans confirmed a little crack and the evidence of a stress fracture, consigning him to a seat in the grandstand as his teammates won through to a grand final.

http://www.geelongadvertiser.com.au...e/news-story/24f31232c66cdd93e1fd99b5df1714a1

"Another Cat in good form was rookie James Parsons, who was best afield in the big win.

The young Cat had been building in previous weeks and his hard work was on display as he racked up 19 possessions, three marks and two goals.

“(Parsons) is looking more confident every week around the contest and his running capabilities for a first year player show he runs really well,” O’Bree said.

“He’s just got to keep chipping away and keep doing the work during the week and he’s getting the rewards and getting more confident in the areas that he’s working on.""

VFL Round 14 – Bendigo Bank Cats 19.11 (125) def. Northern Blues 8.11 (59)

Goals: Kersten 4, Bews 2, Gregson 2, Parsons 2, Stanley, Selwood, Vardy, Horlin-Smith, Lucey, Atkins, McLachlan, Haintz, House

Best: Parsons, Kersten, Horlin-Smith, Atkins, McLachlan, Sexton

Injuries: Menegola (migraine)

Reports: Nil

http://www.geelongcats.com.au/news/2016-07-10/vfl-cats-demolish-blues

Parsons%28Review16%29.jpg

No doubt a surprise packet to anyone not named Stephen Wells, Parsons exceeded expectations by a wide margin in 2016. Proved himself to be one of the best young Cats at VFL level across 17 games and found a lot of the football. One to watch in 2017 and beyond.

From what I saw of the VFL this year, Parsons is the most promising kid in the VFL even though he is a rookie. That may not say a lot about the young talent on the list at the moment, as Cunico and Gardner look to be the only other players who are yet to debut who could possibly go on to AFL level.

http://www.geelongcats.com.au/news/2016-10-14/16-in-review-gregson-to-parsons

No doubt a surprise packet to anyone not named Stephen Wells, Cezz The Catter, Vdubs or Pivo, Parsons exceeded expectations by a wide margin in 2016. Proved himself to be one of the best young Cats at VFL level across 17 games and found a lot of the football. One to watch in 2017 and beyond.

Some really sloppy work there by Mitch Broughton. ;)

If we got anywhere near him I'd weep!
THAT is what we should be trading for- high picks so we can snare one of this type when we can make them into TOP CATS.

Then again, we appear to have struck a little gold with JP!

(Log in to remove this ad.)

THAT is what we should be trading for- high picks so we can snare one of this type when we can make them into TOP CATS.

Then again, we appear to have struck a little gold with JP!

You never know he could slip, i have an inkling Clarke might go before him. Everyone with half a brain is surely going to take Maibuam first though.

Hey i never did run this by you, were you surprised Jeffs never got drafted? Because i certainly was.

You never know he could slip, i have an inkling Clarke might go before him. Everyone with half a brain is surely going to take Maibuam first though.

Hey i never did run this by you, were you surprised Jeffs never got drafted? Because i certainly was.
Late developer, and had a longish injury before the end of 15 season iirc

Many say Clarke is the better pure footballer, Gallucci more the all-round athlete, but the few times we saw him play for ER, he was exceptional. Maybe I am just attracted to that sort of player.
*Jason Akermanis
*GAJ
*Dylan Shiel.

At Hawthorn, I have loved watching the silky skills of Burgoyne, more than any others they have or have had.

Last edited:
Many say Clarke is the better pure footballer, Gallucci more the all-round athlete, but the few times we saw him play for ER, he was exceptional. Maybe I am just attracted to that sort of player.
*Jason Akermanis
*GAJ
*Dylan Shiel.

At Hawthorn, I have loved watching the silky skills of Burgoyne, more than any others they have or have had.

Its definitely a key attribute for getting noticed. Hes an accumulative player with some very classy efficiency. If he can nuckle down on his contested game i think he'd be brilliant.

You'd think he'd be first in line for a promotion should anyone be listed as a LTI.

He certainly looks the most promising since Cunico had to undergo knee surgery.

Injury proves a blessing in disguise for young cat. (Geelong Addy, Sat Jan 21,2017 page 88)
Addy puff article

885769_thumb_326x184.jpg

In an article by Ryan Reynolds (a number here may be personally familiar with Mr Reynolds) on the back page of the Addy, Parsons suggests that the stress fractures and subsequent hip injury that he suffered before the 2016 season could have been a blessing is disguise.

He mentions how he spent his rehab with skipper Joel Selwood. Parsons, who is now injury free, is using the lessons he learned from the skipper in his first full preseason. He mentions running and tackling drills as particular skills that he got from working closely with Selwood.

Aerobically he is well ahead of where he started after being drafted as a rookie in '15 and he is starting to mature physically. Reynolds suggests that Parsons' form on the track is so good that he may get a game or two in the JLT Community Series. (I would have thought that it was a given that he would get at least one game).

Parsons described himself: "I'm a runner and not a key position, obviously, so I am just trying to play my role, working it up, getting it to the big boys, getting it to the ground, that sort of stuff."

Parsons managed 17 games in his first season (2016), which is not bad for kid who had hip surgery before the season.

*Not sure if this summary violates rules re quoting articles.

Last edited:
If anything this kid can work on and develop is probably his overhead marking. He has the height to intercept as a defender, and if he can just develop this skill then we will have a very very handy player. I like defenders that are good in the air, it makes them very hard to match up against, and is the reason why our defence has been strong for so long.

His overhead marking however is hardly a weakness.
If anything this kid can work on and develop is probably his overhead marking. He has the height to intercept as a defender, and if he can just develop this skill then we will have a very very handy player. I like defenders that are good in the air, it makes them very hard to match up against, and is the reason why our defence has been strong for so long.

His overhead marking however is hardly a weakness.

Have you seen Parsons kick the footy?
I have seen him bang them from outside 50 with what seems to be little effort.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back