Past Jamie Charman (2001-2011)

Remove this Banner Ad

Link

Charman to stick with aggression

By Andrew Hamilton
March 05, 2007
JAMIE Charman is the classic white-line fever sufferer: a fashion-conscious metrosexual off the field and a growling Lion on it.
And he has no intention of taming his bone-jarring attack despite again finding his name in the umpires' book for striking.
"I won't change my approach," Charman said. "If the ball is around I'm going to attack it. I've always liked the physicality."
The Lions will contest the charge if the AFL's video review panel today deems Charman has a case to answer for striking Bulldog Ryan Hargrave in Friday night's NAB Cup quarter-final win over the Bulldogs.
The events of last year still haunt, when the Lions opted to not fight a charge of rough play on Magpie Anthony Rocca because Charman had injured his back and needed a week off to recover.
An early guilty plea had the charge reduced from a two-week suspension to one but did little for Charman's reputation.
However the premiership ruckman, who owns a men's day spa, does part-time modelling and spent the summer learning to surf, says he does not go out to deliberately intimidate his opponents.
"I think it (aggression) is a valuable tool to the team as long as it's cool aggression," he said. "I'm very relaxed in my own life. Then when I go across the line I get into a different zone."
It has been that way forever.
Up in Cairns they still talk of the impact Charman made in a handful of senior games as a skinny 16-year-old kid with a body like a "baby giraffe".
His first senior game started in memorable and violent fashion, and probably explains Charman's ultra-aggressive style of play.
"I used to wear headgear then one day I just decided it was time to take it off," he said.
"But in my first contest, bang, I got whacked and I was gone, out like a light.
"I was pretty young and he chinned me."
The president at the time of the Cairns Saints, Bruce Gonsalves, says there's more to the story -- the part where Charman got up and dished it back out with interest to anyone who crossed his path.
"His attitude hasn't changed too much since joining the Lions, only he's 20kg heavier," he said. "He's never taken a backward step in his life."
Neither has his coach Leigh Matthews. In fact, "Lethal" has more than once expressed doubts that he'd have managed his own decorated career under the intense scrutiny of umpires in the modern era.
"The game's rules are very, very strict and you have to play within those rules," Matthews said.
And like reformed bad-boy Jonathan Brown, who was once a serial offender but is now a cleanskin with a spot in the club's leadership group, Matthews says Charman's record is unlikely to stand against his future leadership aspirations.

charmanqs2.jpg

Jamie Charman

Pick 29 in the 2000 National Draft (zone selection)

charman_profile-c.jpg

Twitter

Summary:

* 100th game (#10)
* 2007 review (#35)
* selection in Dream Team for 150th anniversary tribute game (#76)
* 2008 review (#152)
* left ankle injury (#182)
* left ankle reconstruction (#207)
* 2009 review (#295)
* right ankle injury (#316)
* right ankle operation (#356)
* 2010 review (#384)
* reserves comeback (#505)
* announces retirement (#516)
* lap of honour (#553)
* "worst debut ever" (#564)
* 2011 review (#567)
* business development executive/ruck coach (#568)

Premierships:

Code:
B:       Chris Johnson     Mal Michael        Darryl White  
HB:      Luke Power        Justin Leppitsch   Nigel Lappin  
C:       Jason Akermanis   Michael Voss (c)   Martin Pike  
HF:      Ashley McGrath    Jonathan Brown     Robert Copeland  
F:       Craig McRae       Alastair Lynch     Daniel Bradshaw  
Foll:    Clark Keating     Simon Black        Shaun Hart  
Int:     [B][COLOR="Red"]Jamie Charman[/COLOR][/B]     Blake Caracella    Marcus Ashcroft  
         Richard Hadley
Coach:   Leigh Matthews

Brisbane Lions Team of the Decade:

Code:
[B]B:[/B] 	Chris Johnson 	   Mal Michael 	        Darryl White
[B]HB:[/B] 	Marcus Ashcroft    Justin Leppitsch 	Chris Scott
[B]M:[/B] 	Nigel Lappin 	   Michael Voss (c) 	Brad Scott
[B]HF:[/B] 	Jason Akermanis    Jonathan Brown 	Craig McRae
[B]F:[/B] 	Luke Power 	   Alastair Lynch 	Daniel Bradshaw
[B]Foll:[/B] 	Clark Keating 	   Simon Black 	        Shaun Hart
[B]Int:[/B] 	Martin Pike 	   Tim Notting 	        [COLOR="Red"][B]Jamie Charman[/B][/COLOR] 	   
        Richard Champion
Coach: 	Leigh Matthews

Merrett-Murray Medal results:

2001: 32nd (1 vote)
2002: 19th (28 votes)
2003: =10th (52 votes)
2004: 16th (35.5 votes)
2005: 25th (10.5 votes)
2006: 6th (38 votes)
2007: 13th (34 votes)
2008: 17th (20.5 votes)
2009: =33rd (0 votes)
2010: -
2011: -

Coach's votes:

2010: -
2011: -

Tribunal record:

* Round 22, 2008 - striking (137.5 demerit points - cleared by tribunal)

Career highlights:

Lions Reserves Premiership Player 2001
Lions Best Rookie 2002
AFL Rising Star Nomination 2002
Lions Premiership Player 2003
Lions Team of the Decade member 2006
Queensland Team of the Year 2007, 2008
AFL Hall of Fame Tribute Match Dream Team representative 2008

Re: Jamie Charman

besides browny and obviously a couple of midfielders charmo is close to our MVP these days i reckon, has such a presence in the middle and has really grown into a gun player for us!

Looks a much more influential player when playing primarily as a ruckman. Gets his share of hit outs and gets touches around the ground.

Didn't look good while going up forward. So much for the idea of having him play key forward to accommodate the others. Going to be a logjam for our other rucks.

Link

Tiger treatment annoys Charman
31 May 2007 Herald-Sun
Jim Wilson

MATTHEW Richardson's contentious push-in-the-back free kick has received another sympathy vote -- this time from Brisbane Lion ruckman Jamie Charman.
As the Tigers prepare to meet the Lions at Telstra Dome on Saturday night, Charman said Richardson had every reason to be frustrated and called on the AFL to review the controversial rule.
"They need to look at it at the end of the season no doubt," Charman said.
"Everyone would agree it's changed the way we go about our approach to the game. It was pretty heartbreaking for 'Richo' and the rule does need reviewing. They need to look at the finer points and its interpretation of the rule."
Charman also gave a strong hint that he will remain at Brisbane next season.
"Brisbane has been a great part of my life and I love my teammates," he said.
"I've had a fantastic seven years and to be honest contract talks aren't my priority as I want to get a win. Having lost three in a row, we need to regroup and focus on bouncing back."

charmandk6.jpg

Don't talk money, says Charman

Article from:
By Damien Stannard
June 24, 2007 12:00am

0,,5537601,00.jpg

FOCUSED: Jamie Charman won't discuss his contract.

RUCKMAN Jamie Charman yesterday re-affirmed his full commitment to the Brisbane Lions – by not entering contract talks midway through the season.
Charman, whose deal with Brisbane expires at the end of the year, offered his only public comments since speculation about his future began and said he did not want to be distracted from the job at hand. The home-grown tall wants to devote his full attention to the precarious plight of the Lions who, with just four wins, face an enormous battle to reach the finals.

"I love the team, I love the boys, I'd do anything for them," Charman said.

"I love Brisbane (and) my family's here but I want to wait until the end of the season to have those talks. I want to concentrate on footy without this hanging over my head."

The 197cm premiership player has been one of the Lions' most consistent performers this season.

Coach Leigh Matthews said Charman was clearly the club's best ruckman and any talk of a possible trade was "malicious and inaccurate". "From the club's point of view we value him and hope he spends the rest of his career here," he said.

"That's all you can say to your members and fans out there who can get the wrong impression."

The former Northern Eagle has overcome the calf problems that hindered him at the start of the season.

With the players given three days off due to the split round, Charman spent the weekend relaxing on Stradbroke Island.

"I'll be taking the surfboard but it might be too cold to use it," he said before hopping on the barge. The body's good and I'm looking forward to having a good crack in the second half of the year."

Brisbane played some of its best football against Carlton in Round 5 when Charman was deployed to full forward to help outnumbered co-captain Jonathan Brown.

With Brown free to roam down the ground, Charman gave the Lions' midfield another reliable option and the big man booted three of the team's 21 goals.

"I got two lucky ones at the start. It makes a massive difference having two big guys up forward," the 24-year-old said.

Charman, who is just three games shy of his 100th senior match, is happy for that role to be reprised but insists it would only be a temporary fix until the return of young key forward Mitchell Clark.

Matthews was hopeful Clark and midfielder Luke Power would overcome leg injuries in time to face Port Adelaide at the Gabba on Saturday night.

Lions forward Joel Patfull believes the answer to Brown's woes lies in a smarter approach. "We need to provide some options and spread the defence," he said.

Link

Charman looks certain to stay

Article from:

Marco Monteverde
July 11, 2007 12:00am

LIONS ruckman Jamie Charman has all but pledged his future to Brisbane but says he will not sign a new contract with the club until the end of the season.
Charman, who plays his 100th AFL game on Saturday night when Brisbane takes on Melbourne at the Gabba, yesterday spoke of his "love" for the Lions, who picked him up in the 2000 national draft.
The Lions tried to begin contract discussions with the 2003 premiership player earlier this season but were told via his manager that Charman was not ready to talk terms.
The former Northern Eagle yesterday reiterated his stance but left little doubt where he wanted to be next season and beyond, despite his name being linked with Richmond or St Kilda.
"I love the team, I love the boys and I've got my life set up here," Charman said.
"I just wanted to wait until the end of the season to do the contract for no other reason bar that I don't want that sort of stuff hanging around while I'm trying to finish off the season."
Charman, who turns 25 on Monday, is relishing his role as the Lions' leading ruckman and says he is more comfortable than ever before about speaking his mind.
"It's been a big change for me this year with a different leadership group. I'm having to stand up for myself and have the courage to speak up," he said. "We've established an environment where you can speak up." Charman was not as comfortable with expressing his views six years ago after a self-confessed "shocker" on debut against Fremantle at the Gabba in round 5 of the 2001 season.
"I gave away four free kicks and had only two possessions," he said.
Despite being punted for the following week's clash with Geelong, Charman had the consolation of being part of the Lions' famous comeback against the Dockers, with Brisbane kicking 13 goals in the final quarter to win by 49 points.
"Even though I had a bad game, the elation of winning overrides all that," he said.
Charman had a similar feeling of elation after the Lions' shock 27-point weekend win over the West Coast Eagles in Perth. But he admitted the victory would count for little if Brisbane failed to fire against the Demons.
"It's always going to be tough to make sure that we're not happy with ourselves," he said.
"We have to keep reminding ourselves that we're eight losses and five wins. One very good win against a very good team doesn't make a season," he said.
To mark his century of games, Charman will lead out the Lions on Saturday night and toss the coin.
"In my first or second year here, looking up at the 100 board with some big names on it from around the club, I wouldn't have expected to get there," the Sandgate Seahawks junior said.
"Then all of a sudden you're up there yourself – it's a great surprise."

charmanlk6.jpg

Link

Charman not keen to leave Lions

July 11, 2007 - 5:14PM

A shock 27-point AFL win over West Coast provided a glimpse into the rebuilding Brisbane Lions' future - and off-contract ruckman Jamie Charman clearly wants to be a part of it.
Charman, 25, has been linked to Richmond and St Kilda this year since deciding to postpone talks about his future until the end of the season.
However, the premiership-winning ruckman said he would love to stay in Brisbane, describing the prospect of playing alongside the Lions' emerging youngsters as "exciting".
Charman confirmed he wouldn't be making a final decision until the end of the year but stressed it did not mean he was thinking of leaving Brisbane.
"It's about finishing the year off for me, looking at the next year at the end of the season - it's more a personal thing than anything," said Charman, who plays his 100th game against Melbourne on Saturday night.
"But I love Brisbane, I love the Lions and I love this team. I'd love to stay.
"My life is set up here, my business is set up here. I'm looking to stay."
The emerging Lions that shone in the last round boilover at Perth have clearly motivated Charman in his seventh season at Brisbane.
"It has moulded the side a little bit together after six losses, that win helps us and gives us confidence," Charman said.
"It is exciting. We have had a few changes over the last couple of weeks and guys are getting their chance to play.
"(But) one win doesn't make a season, we've got to really build the second half of the year from now."
Charman appeared to relish the chance to combine with emerging ruckman Matthew Leuenberger, who made his debut in the last round upset at Subiaco.
"He's going to be a fantastic player for the club," Charman said of Leuenberger.
"I look forward to playing alongside him for the rest of my career."
It is still sinking in for Charman that he is approaching his 100th game for Brisbane.
And no wonder - Charman would be forgiven for thinking he would never reach the milestone after several injury-marred seasons including a dislocated shoulder that cut short 2006.
"Looking up at the 100 (game) board at the club downstairs there's some big names," Charman said.
"Walking into the club seven years ago I wouldn't have thought I would got there that's for sure."

Link

Lions ruckman Jamie Charman will play his 100th match in front of his hometown crowd at the Gabba.
The powerhouse follower warmed up for his milestone match with a trek up the Story Bridge yesterday.
The out-of-contract ruck-man, who was a member of the Lions' 2003 premiership side, is relieved to finally reach the 100-game mark after making his debut way back in 2001.
"I've had my share (of injuries) so I reckon I am done and dusted and hopefully I can chalk up my next 100 in four years instead of seven," he said.

charmanaj5.jpg

Den Diaries: Simon Black

4:35 PM Thu 12 July, 2007
for lions.com.au

News

If you ever happen to be walking past the Gabba and hear some bloke yelling out of a black ute, just ignore it.

It will only be Jamie Charman taking a rise out of one of his teammates.

Charmo is a big man, all 197cm of him, and he is a larger than life character.

We love him dearly at the Brisbane Lions because he brings an x-factor to the group that only a special type of person can.

I reckon he was probably hyperactive as a kid because he never stops talking, fidgeting, badgering and all those sorts of things.

But you wouldn’t have him any other way.

Team morale will never be too far down when Charmo is around because his infectious personality naturally picks you up.

He is always smiling, always enthusiastic, and always encouraging his mates. Well almost always.

When he crosses the white line, he turns into a different person.

The condition is known as ‘white line fever’, and Charmo has it as bad as anyone. A great guy off the field, but don’t get in his way on the ground.

He has suffered a couple of times at the tribunal, but not enough to stop him playing his 100th game for the Brisbane Lions this weekend.

He was born in Maryborough, so it’s great to see another country-born Queenslander reach a significant milestone.

While he is a joker and a clown at times, there’s a seriously strong side to Charmo that should never be underestimated.

In only his second season in senior football, he carried our ruck division for virtually the entire year, only to be dropped at semi-final time.

He wasn’t picked for the 2002 grand final, which must have been a soul-destroying experience.

He masked his pain all that week and was typically bouncy and encouraging of the guys around him.

The devastation came out in his tears in the rooms after the win, so it was great to be able to get back to the grand final for him the following year.

I’ll never forget the look on his face when the siren went at the end of our preliminary final win over the Swans and Craig McRae running up to him screaming that he was ‘going to the big dance’.

Being a ruckman, he has carried plenty of niggling injuries through games without complaint, and has been fantastic for us again this year, especially considering the Achilles problem he had early on.

The midfielders got all the public credit when we came from seven goals down to hit the front against Port Adelaide in our last home game, but it was Charmo who generated most of the momentum at the hit-outs.

http://www.lions.com.au/Season2007/News/NewsArticle/tabid/5085/Default.aspx?newsId=47146

charmanup2.jpg

Charman runs down Didak and tackles him twice in the space of 30 seconds. This effort epitomised the commitment of the Lions in their 93 point thumping of Collingwood.

Link

The Lions' main injury concern looks to be ruckman Jamie Charman, who has a broken finger. Charman played with the finger in a splint and was dominant at the clearances early before fading in the second half.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Good for Luey and Wood though.

When life gives you lemons, make lemonaide!

Its a shame about the Charman injury but in the scheme of things its not such a concern. If he was going to pick up an injury there are a lot worse things than a broken finger.

I am really looking forward to seeing the young ruck combo go up against two in the best in the business in Spider and Jolly. It will really test them and both should get a lot of game time. It will really give a good indication of where they are both at.

Link

Charman: Good old days

18 August 2007 Herald Sun
Nikki Tugwell

JAMIE Charman knew nothing other than playing in Grand Finals in his first four seasons.His first three seasons at the Brisbane Lions, from 2001-03, yielded three premierships and his next another Grand Final appearance.
That unprecedented early success also made the club's failure to make the finals in 2005 and 2006 particularly galling.
For Charman, Jonathan Brown and Robert Copeland, who missed Brisbane's Bad News Bears days and the Lions' 1998 wooden spoon, failure was foreign.
"My first four years at the club were all in Grand Finals," Charman said. "When I first came into the club, I thought that success, and the feeling we had around the club that comes with it, was a regular occurrence."
In the Lions' past six matches, of which they have won five, Brown, Simon Black, Luke Power, Nigel Lappin and Charman have shown glimpses of their old confidence.
Charman says their struggles in 2005 and 2006 have given them a renewed appreciation of success.
"You go through hard times when you have those losses and that feeling around the club is certainly different," Charman said.
"And in those five weeks, we had that buzz back, you feel that same buzz where everyone is upbeat, it certainly compares to those feelings of when we were doing well back in the premiership years.
"It is always good to walk into work when everyone is upbeat, it makes your job more enjoyable and you wish you had that feeling every Monday when you walk into the club."
Charman will be pivotal in tonight's match at the Gabba against the Swans with the Lions' season on the line.
Particularly considering he will carry the bulk of the workload in the ruck against Peter Everitt and Darren Jolly.
The degree to which either midfield can control the game will be decisive. And quick, direct supply of ball by the Brisbane midfielders to their forward line will make Brown almost impossible to stop.
"Our clearances have been really good this season and we have had really good rotations through the midfield," Charman said.
"Jed Adcock has been very good for us.
"Lappin is as fit as he has been for a couple of years and Blacky is Mr Consistent. It certainly helps when those midfielders are hitting Browny on the chest."
Charman rates Sydney's Everitt-Jolly in the top bracket of ruck combinations in the league with Port's Brendon Lade and Dean Brogan and West Coast's Dean Cox and Mark Seaby.
Sydney has been the Lions' bogey team throughout their premiership years and has extended that dominance in recent seasons. In their 10 meetings since Paul Roos has been at the helm of Sydney, the Swans have won eight.
The big question mark over Brisbane tonight is whether its loss last week to Hawthorn has dented its momentum?
"Sydney have been a really good side and really shut us down," Charman said.
"It is a steep learning curve for us and particularly our younger players. How well we cope with that (pressure when the opposition gets on a roll) is going to be a factor.
"You have got to make sure you don't lose confidence when that happens.
"We stopped our run (against Hawthorn) and got a little bit worried. We really slowed down in that third quarter and then picked it up again in the last."

charmanfj4.jpg

New appreciation: Brisbane Lions ruckman Jamie Charman is enjoying winning again after some lean seasons.

JAMIE Charman knew nothing other than playing in Grand Finals in his first four seasons.His first three seasons at the Brisbane Lions, from 2001-03, yielded three premierships and his next another Grand Final appearance.

What?

Charmo was injured and too young probably for 2001.
Charmo was dropped on the eve of GF 2002 and was absolutely gutted.
Charmo played in 2003 GF.
Charmo injured his knee vs Adelaide and didn't play in 2004 GF.

What?

Charmo was injured and too young probably for 2001.
Charmo was dropped on the eve of GF 2002 and was absolutely gutted.
Charmo played in 2003 GF.
Charmo injured his knee vs Adelaide and didn't play in 2004 GF.

I think the article was commenting on the general success of the club at those times, although the phrasing is slightly misleading.

Link

The Lions are facing the probable loss of Jamie Charman for the final rounds with a calf strain. He limped off late in the first quarter and did not return for the match.

Link

Teetering Lions suffer Charman blow
August 20, 2007 - 2:11PM

Gallant Brisbane's teetering AFL finals hopes have copped a major knock with influential ruckman Jamie Charman expected to miss the final two rounds of the competition.
Lions coach Leigh Matthews indicated Charman would miss Saturday night's must-win match with Adelaide and was long odds to play in the final-round clash against St Kilda.
The aggressive 25-year-old - rated among the best big men in the game - strained his calf in the first term of Saturday night's thrilling draw with Sydney at the Gabba.
Charman never returned, leaving 19-year-old Matthew Leuenberger to ruck the final three quarters against veteran duo Peter Everitt and Darren Jolly.
"He won't play this week," Matthews said. "He strained a calf so that's a week or two, probably two.
"You miss one week and you usually miss a couple with a calf injury like that."
With Brisbane requiring victory over both the Crows at AAMI Stadium and Geelong at the Gabba to make the top eight, Charman's loss makes it an even harder road to home (sic).

charmanod0.jpg

Remove this Banner Ad

Back