Past Jamie Charman (2001-2011)

Remove this Banner Ad

Re: Jamie Charman

Let's hope it's just a precautionary thing. Remembering it's his first game back.

NEAFL Round 17 vs Gold Coast Reserves

[FONT=&quot]Clarke was happy with the enthusiasm and energy that Charman brought to the side in his first game in 18 months, where he played just the first half.[/FONT]

Link

“Charmo was as energetic as any of them. He clunked a nice mark early and took another good contested mark against Joel Tippett,” Clarke said.

“He was getting to a lot of contests out on the wing which is a bit further up the ground than we were anticipating. He was very good.

“The positive is we got the Charmans, Drummonds and Bartletts through another week injury-free.”

Fantastic to read. Charman is a gun footballer and if the football gods are kind, he should be in the senior side before too long and then another contract beckons. I think that Charman loves our club and he would jump at one year deal at a base rate. I know he has plenty to still give on the field and if / when Clark goes, Charman really does become a required player.

Vossy's view

Looking to get Jamie Charman back after his reserves hitout?

He's a fair way away. From starting to play as opposed to playing senior footy, that's a big jump. So we've got to make sure we still manage him right at this point in time. We're obviously trying to fast track that as quick as we can and rely on the fact that his body is pretty mature.

Dunno about him playing in the A grade or anything - I am just so pleased for him that he has finally got to play footy again. How good would that first mark & kick felt? After all he has been thru. Onya Charmo.

Nathan Clarke

“You never expect a guy to dominate after 18 months out of the game, but he certainly had an impact. His energy and love for the game was evident,” Clarke said.

“He obviously still has that passionate for the contest and really showed great leadership and energy. It was no coincidence that when we took him off in the third quarter, we battled a bit.”

“He took a nice grab and kicked a goal with his first kick back.”

“He pulled up a bit proppy, as you would expect, but we’re hopeful that he will get up again in time for our next game. We understand he’s still a bit fragile and won’t take anything for granted at this stage.”

charman9.jpg

Good luck Charm

By Michael Whiting 9:36 AM Thu 28 Jul, 2011

"The last 18 months has been very frustrating. You get a bit wound up when the season starts and you feel far away but there is the times when you think 'Is it worth it?', but on the weekend I kicked the first goal and even though it was in the twos it was a great buzz to be back out there from where I've come from."

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Good luck Charm

By Michael Whiting 9:36 AM Thu 28 Jul, 2011

Great article on a great footballer who has always put his body on the line for the club. Deserves a contract for 2012 if his body stands up.

Great article on a great footballer who has always put his body on the line for the club. Deserves a contract for 2012 if his body stands up.

I enjoyed the article too 3KZ.

It was fantastic to hear that he got through a half a game in the ressies unscathed :)

Jamie has worked incredibly hard to get back on the field - let's hope he can finish the season off well and give himself every chance of another contract.

Farewell match?

Maybe he can start the game against Gold Coast or Collingwood, run through a few players and then get subbed off.

Great career from the big man. A massive shame that injuries cut him down once he had hit his best form. I still remember the game against Essendon when he went down and David Hille called for the trainers. It was big blow because that season had probably been his best.

Just a shame he couldn't get the body right.

That 4 year contract didn't work out for the Lions but it shows what a great clubman Jamie is that he tried to give the club as much value as he could during his injury layoffs - media work, school/hospital visits, and basically filled in as an unofficial ruck coach for leuenebrger, Clark, McCauley etc.

All the best in retirement Charmo. With his good looks and charisma, I'm sure there are plenty of options available to him in the media.

Another premiership player down... 4 remaining by my count. The wheel keeps turning.

Unfortunately seemed inevitable when he was seen working with the state under 16 team a couple of months ago as an assistant coach. Whether this was just filling a role while injured, or shows a potential interest in coaching in the future I guess time will tell?

Remove this Banner Ad

Back