Past Jamie Charman (2001-2011)

Remove this Banner Ad

Re: Jamie Charman

Sad to hear, all the best in retirement Charman! It will be good to give your body the rest and healing it needs. At least you showed us that you could comeback and play reserves footy - I bet that was one of your wishes.

I hope he is still involved with the club, he alway came across as a genuinely good bloke. Great hard at it ruckman who was a real team man.

Ditto, and he is. He's the kind of person you really want around a bunch of young lads. Hope he remains involved in Qld footy in some development capacity.

Farewell match?

Maybe he can start the game against Gold Coast or Collingwood, run through a few players and then get subbed off.

Great career from the big man. A massive shame that injuries cut him down once he had hit his best form. I still remember the game against Essendon when he went down and David Hille called for the trainers. It was big blow because that season had probably been his best.

Remember that game well ,also the sportsmanship shown by Hille.
That was the beginning of the end for him. He was holding the team together that year, because we had so many other injuries.
It was very hard to watch that happen.

All the best to him.

Poor Charmo, I wish he could've got the chance to have a farewell game. I liked to picture Charmo training intensely with 'the best around' playing loudly in the background as he prepares for that one last shot then gives it his all, earns best on ground then classfully retires citing it's the young guys time to step up. Shame injury has once more robbed him of the chance to play. Premiership player and great clubman. Surely there's a role around the club for him.

Having been one of the few Lions i've be able to have a good chat to, old Emu is certainly one of my favourite players. He is just a top bloke at heart and bleeds for the club. It's a shame such a quality clubman doesn't get the fairwell game he deserves. Even whilst injuried he gave so much back to the club, trying to make himself useful in what capacity he could. It would be great to see him stay at the club in some role. He is such a great role model for the young blokes now coming through our club.

Certainly wish Charmo all the best, and hopefully he gets a well deserved lap around the Gabba so the fans can show their support. Would be great to get a highlights reel for the big man up on youtube.

Now that, against all the odds, Charman appears to have gotten back to something approaching reasonable fitness, I thought he may have been a chance to slot in at fullback as a filler for the remainder of the season.

While to my knowledge he has never played at FB, let's face it, desperate times, desperate measures.

Link ....

"It's been very, very long. I'm pretty grateful that Vossy and the club have stuck by me. They've been fantastic for me," Charman said.

"The last 18 months has been very frustrating."

Charman said the Lions' medical staff had been sensational throughout his entire rehabilitation.

"The medical staff has put up with a bloody lot in the last couple of years and it's been frustrating for them at times, trying to think of ways to get me up each week," he said.

"I've met some great people, some great supporters, some great fans. Some of those fans I'm still good friends with today and I hope to stay friends with them forever. The Brisbane people, the support they've given me has been tremendous."

charmanl.jpg

Discussion thread

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Link ....

“The boys were all really supportive and I was training hard and getting pumped about finishing the season off well,” Charman said.

“But I played that game with the Reserves and pulled up really sore.”

“So after a fair bit of thought, I sat down with (girlfriend) Holly last Sunday and pretty much told her that I was going to pull the pin. Then I spoke with Vossy on Monday and told him the same thing.”

“It was hard to come to that realisation initially, but once I’d made the decision, it became clear that it was the best thing for me.”

charman.jpg

Black pays tribute to Charman
By Michael Whiting
3:31 PM Wed 03 Aug, 2011

BROWNLOW medallist Simon Black has lauded retiring Brisbane Lions teammate Jamie Charman, labelling the ruckman as aggressive, combative and inspirational on the field, and fun, cheeky and lovable off it.

"He's such a great personality, such a fun character to be around," Black said.

"He just loves a good time, a good laugh, he loves pulling the mickey out of the boys. He's very cheeky, in a lovable way.

"The laughs I've got out of Charmo over the years have been enormous and he's one of my best mates and I cherished my days playing with him and I'll greatly miss him.

"Watching his highlights video of his career gave me real chills, real goosebumps and made me feel really proud to have played with him."

charman.jpg

Jamie Charman said:
Retired today.. Just down at centrelink seeing what job vacancies they have... Thanks everyone for there support and kind words.. .

Love twitter lol

Okay, hands up, who has the sniffles?

What can you say about a loyal servant to the club that hasn't already been said?

Matthew Leuenberger

In my early years at the Club, Charmo was the number one ruckman and really took me under his wing. At training he would be sure to spend extra time coaching me through a few different things and point me in the right direction.

Even this year while he’s been sidelined, I’ve spent considerable time with him to help improve some of the aspects of my game. It’s probably fair to say he’s played a huge role in my development.

I’m sure he’ll have no problems with his life outside of football. He’s a proven media performer, has a bit of experience under his belt now in coaching and would be a fantastic person to keep around the Club in any type role. I’m sure he’ll probably take time over the next couple of weeks to consider where he wants to head next.

charman8.jpg

Its the right time, and the right thing to do....but geez its hard when they are such likeable, reliable, gives-his-all to the club type guy..

Thanks for the memories Jamie and the best of luck for all you do in the future..of course hoping that future is somehow involving the club..

I know!!....he can coach too!!;)

Love twitter lol

Okay, hands up, who has the sniffles?

What can you say about a loyal servant to the club that hasn't already been said?
From where I sit most has already been said, what I'm enjoying reading now are the words from the players/friends. They are many, warm, funny and honest.

This in my mind says a lot about the man, all the best Charmo! [as I now raise my hand... and I don't think it's my cold.]

Link ....

WOUNDED Lion Jamie Charman retired yesterday and his farewell tributes brought a reminder of the elusive ingredient the team is craving ... a bit of old-fashioned "aggro".

A measure of his popularity was that despite his lengthy absence, the Lions players turned up to his press conference and gave him a rousing round of applause.

Early in the day Jonathan Brown spoke to the team and said Charman in his prime had set the benchmark for aggression hardness at the ball which, coming from Brown, was as flattering as one of the Beach Boys saying your band has nice harmonies.

charman.jpg

Remove this Banner Ad

Back