Jamie Elliott Vs Troy Menzel

T.Menzel or J.Elliott

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

Every dog has his day. Raph Clarke played some awesome games over the journey, Kosi had a month when he was better than Carey.

It's not like that game came out of nowhere though, he's shown plenty before and it looks like he's starting to put it all together now, you wouldn't expect much more from a player his age. Consistency remains to be seen, but looks to have a good career ahead.

Every dog has his day. Raph Clarke played some awesome games over the journey, Kosi had a month when he was better than Carey.

He's averaging 13 disposals, 9 tackles and 3 goals a game so far this year. This is against Freo, Sydney and Geelong for god sake. Give the kid some credit.

This thread isn't really fair at all to Menzel considering Elliott is two years older and been in the system longer. But I'd take 9 cms of height over Elliott and what looks like equally good goal smarts and athleticism. There's something about Menzel which suggests he will be very, very good when I watch him. Elliott looks okay and will get better, just saying I'd rather have Menzel. Elliott is obviously better at the moment.

I listed it in my other post above:
- sub standard field kick
- he's not a one grab player below his knees
- not a particularly good decision maker with ball in hand.

His strengths make him a useful forward pocket but it's difficult to see him growing out of this role given some big weaknesses to his game. Conceivably he could fix his kicking but having clean hands and being a good decision maker is very difficult to teach and is something that should have developed by now imo.
Elliott is not a substandard field kick IMO, and his crumbing is improving.

Obviously Elliott has done a lot more at this stage, but Troy has massive potential.

So while Menzel is undoubtedly still in the "based on potential" column, he has actually shown great signs at AFL level even if only for periods of games. Though he doesn't need many touches of the ball to have an impact, which has me rather excited for when his fitness improves.

Menzel could easily be Carlton's best player in future, IMO, but Jamie Elliott is surely surpassing even Pie expectations...

It's a difficult poll, so I'll go Menzel both on what I deem to be his ceiling and potential and because, well, the "he plays for my team vote" :cool:

Obviously Elliott has done a lot more at this stage, but Troy has massive potential.

So while Menzel is undoubtedly still in the "based on potential" column, he has actually shown great signs at AFL level even if only for periods of games. Though he doesn't need many touches of the ball to have an impact, which has me rather excited for when his fitness improves.

Menzel could easily be Carlton's best player in future, IMO, but Jamie Elliott is surely surpassing even Pie expectations...

It's a difficult poll, so I'll go Menzel both on what I deem to be his ceiling and potential and because, well, the "he plays for my team vote" :cool:

Menzel is probably the most talented player on the Carlton list.

Elliot is about 10th most talented on Collingwood's list.

Menzel without a second thought. Jamie's playing better footy at the moment but he's also got 2 years on Menzel. Menz has kicked 2 goals in 6 of the 12 games he's played. He's kicked 2 goals in 6 of the 7 games where he wasn't sub/subbed. Showed his class to slot the match winner on the weekend and also works very hard defensively. Not too strong overhead yet but he looks like he'll fill out nicely and that should come.

Andrew Walker claimed Menzel as the most promising player he's seen at Carlton in his time there. This kid could be anything. It's a no brainer.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Menzel without a second thought. Jamie's playing better footy at the moment but he's also got 2 years on Menzel. Menz has kicked 2 goals in 6 of the 12 games he's played. He's kicked 2 goals in 6 of the 7 games where he wasn't sub/subbed. Showed his class to slot the match winner on the weekend and also works very hard defensively. Not too strong overhead yet but he looks like he'll fill out nicely and that should come.

Andrew Walker claimed Menzel as the most promising player he's seen at Carlton in his time there. This kid could be anything. It's a no brainer.
If you think it's a no-brainer you clearly haven't seen enough of Elliott.

If you think it's a no-brainer you clearly haven't seen enough of Elliott.
I've seen a fair bit of Elliot. He's playing some very good footy at the moment, however it's just not a fair comparison. Yes, Elliot is far ahead at the minute (as you'd expect, given his age and experience) but Menzel looks to be the complete package. As I mentioned earlier, he's kicked 2 goals in 6 of the 7 games where he's played over 35% of gametime. He's exquisitely skilled. I know it's an ugly word but he's got the potential to be a top 3 player at the footy club. I don't see that in Elliot.

I've seen a fair bit of Elliot. He's playing some very good footy at the moment, however it's just not a fair comparison. Yes, Elliot is far ahead at the minute (as you'd expect, given his age and experience) but Menzel looks to be the complete package. As I mentioned earlier, he's kicked 2 goals in 6 of the 7 games where he's played over 35% of gametime. He's exquisitely skilled. I know it's an ugly word but he's got the potential to be a top 3 player at the footy club. I don't see that in Elliot.

Elliott is close to AA at this stage of the year, so that's a silly call. Menzel and Elliott both kicked match winners on the weekend. Essendon had kicked 2 in a row in the last term to get it back to 8 points and Elliott kicked a brilliant snap to put the result pretty much beyond doubt.

Why was Menzel a late inclusion last round? Surely with Carlton's need to inject youth into a stagnant list he should be a permanent fixture..

Absolute bullshit! Elliot is on his way to being one of the best at Collingwood. A club currently sitting 4th. Elliot has just as high a ceiling.

Eliott - 19 Turned 20 in 2012
Menzel - 19 Turning 20 in 2014
The then 20 year old Elliott kicked six goals 11 behinds in 15 games. Troy kicked eight goals six in seven games before he turned 19. After coming off a low fitness base due to injury and an interrupted pre-season. More upside once he builds his endurance and spends more time up the ground.

Probably got the best hands at the club. Courageous after he backed back v Heath Hocking and one grabbed it after his kick rebounded. Shouldn't have marked that ball.

The then 20 year old Elliott kicked six goals 11 behinds in 15 games. Troy kicked eight goals six in seven games before he turned 19. After coming off a low fitness base due to injury and an interrupted pre-season. More upside once he builds his endurance and spends more time up the ground.

Probably got the best hands at the club. Courageous after he backed back v Heath Hocking and one grabbed it after his kick rebounded. Shouldn't have marked that ball.
To be honest that says more about Carlton than it does Menzel.

Also, shouldn't Menzel having played in 2013 mean that he would have more experience than Elliott did going into 2012?

No problem with rating Menzel above Elliott. If you think it's a no-brainer you clearly haven't watched Elliott. Elliott has taken his game to another level this year. Kicking goals from everywhere as well ATM.
Look, I mean no disrespect to Elliot. I'd take Menzel before Garlett too and Garlett kicked 12, 39 and 48 goals in his first 3 seasons of footy (Elliot 6, 30 and 14* in comparison). In fact, Garlett and Elliot's careers have started in very similar manners and some might argue that 48 goals 32 behinds, 96 tackles and 294 disposals in a season are AA numbers for a small forward. I just think Menzel's ceiling is higher than either of these two.

Look, I mean no disrespect to Elliot. I'd take Menzel before Garlett too and Garlett kicked 12, 39 and 48 goals in his first 3 seasons of footy (Elliot 6, 30 and 14* in comparison). In fact, Garlett and Elliot's careers have started in very similar manners and some might argue that 48 goals 32 behinds, 96 tackles and 294 disposals in a season are AA numbers for a small forward. I just think Menzel's ceiling is higher than either of these two.
From what I have seen of Garlett (correct me if I am wrong), he seems very limited as basically just a small forward. Elliott seems to have the ability to play all over the field and has a more well rounded game than Garlett. Menzel may have a higher ceiling, but from what I have seen, anyone who would easily pick Menzel hasn't seen enough of Elliott. Sure Menzel COULD be better, but Elliott is already playing very very well - there is nothing which can guarantee that Menzel will even get to Elliott's current level.

Back