Opinion Japan Advice

Remove this Banner Ad

Aug 16, 2009
Perth
AFL Club
Fremantle
Hello Japan experts.

I am going on holiday next year to Japan. I am a middle aged woman and will be travelling on my own from Australia, and will be meeting my step daughter and her partner (who are in their mid thirties) in Tokyo. They are coming from the UK. We are doing a fairly standard package for a week - http://www.alljapantours.com.au/2015/01/20/9-day-combination-b/

We are all fairly experienced travellers and we have then got about 1 week on our own. What are the things you would recommend?

Tokyo is such a safe country in which to travel. I've only spent a short time (about a month) in Tokyo, Kyoto and Osaka, all of which I would recommend.

In Tokyo we stayed in Shinjuku, at the Citadines, which was brilliant and very central. Google it and you'll see it gets really good ratings (it's probably got my wife's review there too)

Also "stayed in Tokyo Bay because we spent time at Disneyland.

Maybe one of those posters who lived there can help you out a bit more (apparentlydead maybe)

It is such a great place to holiday, don't get me started on the yummy food!

Yeah, I lived there for a few years and loved it and genuinely miss it terribly:(:(... basashi also lives there I think , I think, and a couple of others whose user names escape me.

It depends what you want, but feel free to ask:)

It is, quite simply, the most astounding and wonderful country and my personal favourite after being fortunate enough to travel more than most, however everything is subjective.

Yeah, I lived there for a few years and loved it and genuinely miss it terribly:(:(... basashi also lives there I think , I think, and a couple of others whose user names escape me.

It depends what you want, but feel free to ask:)

It is, quite simply, the most astounding and wonderful country and my personal favourite after being fortunate enough to travel more than most, however everything is subjective.

I'd like to know some things to do in Tokyo that are not flat out touristy, maybe see how real people live and spend their time. I'd also like to know somewhere to go to see beautiful landscape, again that is not so touristy, and that is accessible by train.

Beautiful landscape...

Nikko is sensationally beautiful this time of year. Suck it up with the crowds... its worth it.

Otherwise, jump on the Chuo line and go climb Mt Aso

Will have a look at your itinerary and post more

Is your spare week going to be in and around Tokyo or are you keen on moving about?

I'd like to know some things to do in Tokyo that are not flat out touristy, maybe see how real people live and spend their time. I'd also like to know somewhere to go to see beautiful landscape, again that is not so touristy, and that is accessible by train.

Everything is accessible by train. The public transport will blow your mind. And it's all in English.

Japan/Tokyo is one of those places where you can basically get off at any reasonably sized train stop/suburb and just go for a walk, and you will immediately be surrounded by real Japan. Small restaurants abound, (please bring me back some real Ramen), and the people are extremely welcoming and charming. Everywhere is safe and has English off varying degrees. Just ask a local, they will bend over backwards to help you.

For example, one of my favourite little areas was Akabane in Tokyo. Step outside the train station in the evening and there is a wonderful Brazilian/Peruvian/Japanese band playing in a French style piazza, lined by cracking restaurants, (many restaurants are up stairs, so don't be shy), fantastic little alleyways that contain incredible little shops, some nightclubs, a bit of a red light district, (but classy if that makes sense).

Coincidentally, Akabanebashi is closer to the centre of Tokyo, but contains some exquisite gardens, temples and this place ...

P3230032.JPG

which is obviously a knock off of that thingy in Paris, but worth a wander around.

What will knock your socks off is the quiet, (in an incredibly busy and crowded country), the sense of peace and the respect for your fellow man, especially the elderly.

A couple of things that I reckon are a must...

Catch a Shinkansen, (bullet train), preferably to Kyoto. A stunningly beautiful city in itself, but the Shinkanssen will blow your socks off...300kph and your tea/beer sitting on a table without spilling a drop.

See the Tokyo Skytree, if only for the view. Yes it is 100% touristy, but just the engineering behind it in such an earthquake prone region is astounding. Warning: it's bloody long way up and does sway a fair bit.

Visit Shibuya, and sit back and watch the human tsunami of people crossing the street and let the assault of so much electronic signage/media etc wash over you.

Get on a train at peak hour, just to experience being a human sardine, but take time to recognise the dignity, respect and manners of the people. A whole train literally jam-packed and not a sound above a whisper. No mobile phones ringing and no music blaring from some disrespectful s**t head. It is quite surreal.

basashi is giving you some great advice on other areas etc...so enjoy. It is simply the best country in the world.

As other posters have mentioned the train system is amazing! You can get anywhere in Japan whithin hours basically. Kyoto has some really nice gardens and temples. Nagano and surrounding areas are beautiful, lots of nice walks in the Forrest depending on what time of year ( winter it snows a lot great for skiing ) but if you are staying around Tokyo shinjuku is a must. I'm jealous I would return to Japan in a heartbeat have fun.

I'm going in January with the missus and will have about 10 days to sightsee or relax.

Mid twenties, so any other information would be great.

Sent from my GT-I9507 using Tapatalk

We are going for about 5 days skiing in hakuba. Just picked the easiest skiing to sort out and get to as the missus wasnt too keen on skiing to begin with.

Whats in hokkaido?

We are going for about 5 days skiing in hakuba. Just picked the easiest skiing to sort out and get to as the missus wasnt too keen on skiing to begin with.

Whats in hokkaido?

Fair enough. Enjoy.

Hokkaiddo is the northern island and is famous for its skiing. I'm not a skier btw, but it's an absolutely beautiful place.

Be more specific and some of us will be happy to help.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

So we are going skiing in the last third of our trip. So for the first 10 days or so we haven't looked at anything at all.

Where to go and what to see we arent sure. Probably stay in Tokyo for a few nights and take in the city. Then I guess the rest is just sightseeing and eating.

Would you suggest day trips to specific places or spending a couple nights there instead?

So we are going skiing in the last third of our trip. So for the first 10 days or so we haven't looked at anything at all.

Where to go and what to see we arent sure. Probably stay in Tokyo for a few nights and take in the city. Then I guess the rest is just sightseeing and eating.

Would you suggest day trips to specific places or spending a couple nights there instead?

It's kinda difficult cos you're going there smack bang in the middle of winter, so if you cop a blizzard you won't be going too far.

Plus, you are a fair bit younger than me, so our interests are probably vastly different.

Akihabara is fantastic if you're into technology, anime and cosplay...it really is a laugh.

Apart from that...Maybe Mt Fuji if it is open by public transport, and the places that basashi talked about earlier.

Plus the places/things to do in Tokyo which I mentioned earlier in the thread.

Japan was one of my all time favourite holidays. Everyone is really polite, it is exceptionally clean and the high speed trains make travelling very easy. Nara was once the capital of Japan and has very few modern buildings. There are deer roaming the streets and it is easy to walk around. Fushimi Inari Taisha in Kyoto is the much photographed tunnel of red gates but didn't feel touristy. It is quite a hike to the top but a beautiful way to exercise and you can sit and have a sake halfway up. Going to the sumo wrestling for a day was a highlight. They have ex wrestlers working at the stadium, imagine Peter Matera selling you a ticket at Subiaco, and you can buy the food and drink the sumo wrestlers consume, I had chicken and rice. You can hire an ear piece with an English speaking commentator explaining everything.
I didn't want to leave and I'm sure you'll have a great holiday.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back