Travel Japan

Remove this Banner Ad

Yeah, it seems that way. My parents went up in the mountains and it looked fairly secluded. Even if tourists spots are crowded I think they would be well-managed. From what I've heard, everything is very structured and in order.

It is. My missus comes from rural Japan and it is very quiet.

K's House is a reliable hostel chain that I use when I've travelled around Japan. Khaosan's not too bad either, although I've stayed there only in Tokyo.

Fly out next Friday. 10 nights (4 Kyoto & 6 Tokyo), then onto Koh Tao for a week to dive. I'll be travelling solo now as my wife is preggars with our first kid and she decided that she'd rather be cautious than travel. So it'll add a different element to my travel than what I've been used to for the past 5 or 6 years, but I'm really looking forward to it to be honest.

Rail pass booked, baseball booked, sumo booked. Probably look at a couple of day/half day trips (Hiroshima, Nara, Osaka, Nikko). But really just want to bury myself in the food, craft beers, and try a wide variety of sake/whiskey, as well as capture some great images of the Japanese life and scenery.

Been in Tokyo the past 3 nights. First 2 days were Typhoon Etau which dumped ridiculous amounts of rain and caused havoc in some of the cities north of Tokyo. And then this morning I'm awoken by an earthquake with the epicentre out in Tokyo Bay. I think it was 5.8 magnitude. I was up like a flash and in the apartment block hallway in my jocks ready to do the Harry bolt. No one else to be seen though. News reports show people not even breaking stride on the streets. Broke my lens hood on one of my lenses as it shook it off the cupboard.

On a positive note, went and saw Urawa Reds play last night at Saitamo Stadium. Awesome experience with the fans absolutely nuts. Rivals anything I've seen in Europe and the stadium was only half full. Baseball tomorrow at Tokyo Dome and then Sumo in Monday. Cannot wait.

Heading to Tokyo for a four-day weekend from the 26th to the 29th, ie. next weekend. Never been to Japan before, so I could do with some advice..

I'm staying in Taito-ku, and will get to my hotel at about 6pm on a Friday. Thinking about staying around that area that night. I've heard it's pretty lively around there, so hopefully I'll find a nice place to grab dinner, a few beers and take in a few of the local sights that night.

The second day, I'm planning to do central Tokyo and see all the parks and general craziness, as well as take in a baseball game at either the Tokyo Dome or at the stadium on the waterfront. Are these games like Korea where tickets are always available on the day? Or should I book in advance? What are the must-dos for the central area?

On the Monday, I want to spend the whole day in Shinjuku. I'm assuming there'll be more things to see and do that I'll be able to fit into a day in this place. Has anyone got any recommendations for Shinjuku? Or would it be better to reverse them, and do central Tokyo on the Monday and Shinjuku on the Sunday?

Heading to Tokyo for a four-day weekend from the 26th to the 29th, ie. next weekend. Never been to Japan before, so I could do with some advice..

I'm staying in Taito-ku, and will get to my hotel at about 6pm on a Friday. Thinking about staying around that area that night. I've heard it's pretty lively around there, so hopefully I'll find a nice place to grab dinner, a few beers and take in a few of the local sights that night.

The second day, I'm planning to do central Tokyo and see all the parks and general craziness, as well as take in a baseball game at either the Tokyo Dome or at the stadium on the waterfront. Are these games like Korea where tickets are always available on the day? Or should I book in advance? What are the must-dos for the central area?

On the Monday, I want to spend the whole day in Shinjuku. I'm assuming there'll be more things to see and do that I'll be able to fit into a day in this place. Has anyone got any recommendations for Shinjuku? Or would it be better to reverse them, and do central Tokyo on the Monday and Shinjuku on the Sunday?
The subway is awesome to get around so its possible to do various areas. Not sure where exactly you plan to go but some things that are good.
Tokyo Skytree: worlds tallest lookout, unbelievable view.
Ueno Park: nice zoo, nice lake, cool museums, cool famous shopping street nearby
Tsukiji Fish Market: some of the best fresh sashimi/sushi youll ever have. Probably the best.
Shinjuku: theres a few really nice gardens there
Ginza: the main shopping strip is closed to cars on weekends. Its basically just a strip of boutique shops but it looks amazing looking down the road

If you can fit in a japanese bath, do it, its a great experience.

The food there is amazing, make sure you take advantage.

Play some pachinko, you wont have a clue whats going on but its worth stopping into a pachinko place for 10 minutes as they are everywhere and only in japan.

Its the most amazing city Ive ever visited.

The subway is awesome to get around so its possible to do various areas. Not sure where exactly you plan to go but some things that are good.
Tokyo Skytree: worlds tallest lookout, unbelievable view.
Ueno Park: nice zoo, nice lake, cool museums, cool famous shopping street nearby
Tsukiji Fish Market: some of the best fresh sashimi/sushi youll ever have. Probably the best.
Shinjuku: theres a few really nice gardens there
Ginza: the main shopping strip is closed to cars on weekends. Its basically just a strip of boutique shops but it looks amazing looking down the road

If you can fit in a japanese bath, do it, its a great experience.

The food there is amazing, make sure you take advantage.

Play some pachinko, you wont have a clue whats going on but its worth stopping into a pachinko place for 10 minutes as they are everywhere and only in japan.

Its the most amazing city Ive ever visited.

Great advice, thanks mate. Hadn't considered the Ginza strip, will definitely check it out sometime over the weekend. Had never heard of pachinko before! Did a bit of reading, looks fairly interesting haha.

4 days seems short for Japan, but how did it go?

Just 5 weeks to go - have booked ticket for final sumo match of the season!

You can hire English radios at the sumo, but the line was huge when I was there the other week. If you've got FM radio on your phone, you can dial into the English channel and listen to the commentary which helps a lot in understanding who and what is happening. I'd recommend not to go until about 2:30-3pm in the arvo when the 2nd tier and then top class are on.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

4 days seems short for Japan, but how did it go?

Living in South Korea at the moment, and with a four day weekend, I thought I'd make the most of it. Went well, really enjoyed it. Very different place and people to Korea. I was shocked how clean and orderly the crowds were. Korea has neither of those things going for it. I see what you mean about pachinko, it was absolutely everywhere in the nightlife areas. It was a bit quieter and less crowded than I expected, especially where I was staying in Taito.

Comparing Seoul and Tokyo; Tokyo is unquestionably the better city (1000000% cleaner, better traffic flow, wider footpaths, more parks and gardens, less crowding) but I get the impression your average day out in Seoul would be more exciting than your average day in Tokyo. I also found the distinction between the JR trains and the metro to be unnecessarily confusing. I found Tokyo to be more accommodating of English speakers than Seoul (every cafe or restaurant I went to had an English menu and at least one English speaking staff member). I was very surprised about the smoking laws: you can't smoke on the footpath, but can smoke in Maccas! Overall an enjoyable experience. Got a long weekend coming up next month as well, looking at Fukuoka or Hiroshima for that one.

Living in South Korea at the moment, and with a four day weekend, I thought I'd make the most of it. Went well, really enjoyed it. Very different place and people to Korea. I was shocked how clean and orderly the crowds were. Korea has neither of those things going for it. I see what you mean about pachinko, it was absolutely everywhere in the nightlife areas. It was a bit quieter and less crowded than I expected, especially where I was staying in Taito.

Comparing Seoul and Tokyo; Tokyo is unquestionably the better city (1000000% cleaner, better traffic flow, wider footpaths, more parks and gardens, less crowding) but I get the impression your average day out in Seoul would be more exciting than your average day in Tokyo. I also found the distinction between the JR trains and the metro to be unnecessarily confusing. I found Tokyo to be more accommodating of English speakers than Seoul (every cafe or restaurant I went to had an English menu and at least one English speaking staff member). I was very surprised about the smoking laws: you can't smoke on the footpath, but can smoke in Maccas! Overall an enjoyable experience. Got a long weekend coming up next month as well, looking at Fukuoka or Hiroshima for that one.
Ahh yep being in Korea its a short flight so that makes a lot more sense. If I was that close Id definetely head over atleast once or twice a year. When I do my next Japan trip eventually I plan to fly over and do 5 nights in Seoul as part of it.

Ahh yep being in Korea its a short flight so that makes a lot more sense. If I was that close Id definetely head over atleast once or twice a year. When I do my next Japan trip eventually I plan to fly over and do 5 nights in Seoul as part of it.

Five nights is about perfect for Seoul. I spent a month there last year while travelling, and now live about an hour outside of the city. Fantastic place to visit. I'd be glad to offer a few suggestions when the time comes around.

You can hire English radios at the sumo, but the line was huge when I was there the other week. If you've got FM radio on your phone, you can dial into the English channel and listen to the commentary which helps a lot in understanding who and what is happening. I'd recommend not to go until about 2:30-3pm in the arvo when the 2nd tier and then top class are on.

Good tips. Went last Sunday and would recommend it for anyone. Great event, locals really into it, throwing cushions etc. Top stuff.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Hey guys, I head off for Japan in a week.
Tokyo, Osaka, Kyoto, Fukuoka and Sapporo for 4 days in each. We have tickets to the Sumo in Fukuoka, and a day trip to Hiroshima while we are there too, what else is a must see for those towns?

Nara's worth a half day in my opinion. Easy access from Kyoto or Osaka. It's a nice break from the cities.

If you want to see Tokyo up high, go to the MET Government Offices. Free to do and no lines when I was there, but if you want an awesome view at night, pay the cash and head up Mori Tower in Roppongi. There's an observation deck which'll cost you 2000JPY-ish ($20), then you can pay another couple of bucks to go to the helipad on the roof outside. It is one of the most amazing views I've ever seen of any world city.

There's just so much you can see and do, and will have no trouble filling in your days.

Nara's worth a half day in my opinion. Easy access from Kyoto or Osaka. It's a nice break from the cities.

If you want to see Tokyo up high, go to the MET Government Offices. Free to do and no lines when I was there, but if you want an awesome view at night, pay the cash and head up Mori Tower in Roppongi. There's an observation deck which'll cost you 2000JPY-ish ($20), then you can pay another couple of bucks to go to the helipad on the roof outside. It is one of the most amazing views I've ever seen of any world city.

There's just so much you can see and do, and will have no trouble filling in your days.

I'd second that on Nara - we just got back and in retrospect, it probably would have been better to either stay longer in Kyoto and visit Nara from there or stay in Nara. Osaka was pretty average.

The sumo is fantastic - it was on our first day in Tokyo and they were deciding the national champion. Brilliant atmosphere - good if you can get someone to explain it to you. Having girls pouring beers right at your seat as they carry a keg around is a must.

Finally, in Hiroshima, there's a great place where there's a few places serving the local delicacy, a pancake / omelette thing called okonomiyaki. In fact I think it's called Okonomiyaki Alley - go for lunch. They make it up at a bar in front of you, which has a hot grill built in. Combine it with a frost draught beer and if there's a long line onto the street, it's usually just for the first place, go up the stairs past the line to any of the others in there. This gives you a flavour of it:

Right back at you swingdog, went to okonomiyaki for lunch and loved it . The ladies serving it genuinely seemed to care about what I was doing there and where I was from.. But I found that at most places I went to over there. Hiroshima is a nice place, reminded me of Melbourne a bit with the trams and wide streets, everything relatively new.

What will the language barrier be like in Hiroshima, Fukuoka, Kyoto and Osaka?
Got around for 2 weeks with only the word thank you. Communication was only an issue twice, once in a taxi and once trying to book an onsen over the phone. Apart from that everything else was easy.

There are enough english maps, signs, numbers and locals who learn english at school, so they know enough for you to get by.

I was shocked during my recent weekend in Tokyo how many people spoke English. Given, Tokyo is a major global metropolis, but not once in four days did I go into a shop or restaurant and have communication issues. Always an English speaking staff member on hand. Unlike South Korea, where a little bit of Korean is essential in order to survive. And that's no complaint on Korea - I love the challenge here of being forced to integrate.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back