Travel Japan

Remove this Banner Ad

My best friend and I jumped on that, heading over to Tokyo for 11 days in May next year for my bday. Any recommendations for two guys into gaming, manga, awesome Japanese food? Any good day trips etc?
See some earlier posts of mine here, suggesting some day trips south of Tokyo.

My best friend and I jumped on that, heading over to Tokyo for 11 days in May next year for my bday. Any recommendations for two guys into gaming, manga, awesome Japanese food? Any good day trips etc?

There's plenty of places to get awesome Japanese food, I loved getting a Katsu curry from just about any place. As for manga and gaming, Akihabara is a good one.

Heading to Japan in about a month as part of my Asia trip that begins in a few days. At the moment, I'm looking at doing Tokyo, Kyoto, Osaka and Hiroshima. I'll give myself up to two weeks in Japan. I get the feeling it'll be similar to places like New York and Chicago, in the sense you could just explore almost aimlessly, taking in the sights, sounds, smells, people, and time would just fly by. I'm thinking a week in Tokyo, 4-5 days in the Osaka/Kyoto metro area, and 1-2 days at Hiroshima. Is this a decent timescale, for those who've been?

My main question is in regards to Hiroshima; is there much to see/explore apart from the obvious WW2 bombing shrines/monuments?

Last edited:

Heading to in about a month Japan as part of my Asia trip that begins in a few days. At the moment, I'm looking at doing Tokyo, Kyoto, Osaka and Hiroshima. I'll give myself up to two weeks in Japan. I get the feeling it'll be similar to places like New York and Chicago, in the sense you could just explore almost aimlessly, taking in the sights, sounds, smells, people, and time would just fly by. I'm thinking a week in Tokyo, 4-5 days in the Osaka/Kyoto metro area, and 1-2 days at Hiroshima. Is this a decent timescale, for those who've been?

My main question is in regards to Hiroshima; is there much to see/explore apart from the obvious WW2 bombing shrines/monuments?
That is pretty much exactly what I did in April this year - can't wait to go back!

Heading to Japan in about a month as part of my Asia trip that begins in a few days. At the moment, I'm looking at doing Tokyo, Kyoto, Osaka and Hiroshima. I'll give myself up to two weeks in Japan. I get the feeling it'll be similar to places like New York and Chicago, in the sense you could just explore almost aimlessly, taking in the sights, sounds, smells, people, and time would just fly by. I'm thinking a week in Tokyo, 4-5 days in the Osaka/Kyoto metro area, and 1-2 days at Hiroshima. Is this a decent timescale, for those who've been?

Tripadvisor is your friend, planned my whole trip around it.

Any advice re Hiroshima?

Looks like I'll be in Japan for the AFL grand final, reading earlier in the thread, it looks like I won't be left without a place to watch :thumbsu:

I live in Hiroshima at the moment. I'll be going to Osaka to watch the game. There will be some bars you can talk into playing it, but there wont be a big event.

Just returned from a couple of weeks in Japan and wanted to add to the forum as I found it so helpful, first week in Tokyo must do's are Emperors palace gardens, shibuya, shinjuku stay on the west side unless you are going to Disneyland ( look at Disney sea as it is a separate park, less crowded and a great day, also unique as it is the only one in the world) the zoo cheap as, 100 yen shops

InOsaka, sky garden building ( awesome view ) Osaka castle, namba, also go to Hiroshima and visit the atomic bomb museum ( it will change you life and outlook on the use of weapons such as this)

In general, food, supermarkets a are great option for bento box meals if you are tight on cash but food in General is cheap, trains are the best way to get around, tip is if the station you want is not on the board you are viewing then it is a separate company ( and there are plenty) it takes awhile to get your head around it but after a few days it's all good. Bullet train ( Shinkansen ) Sumo just mind blowing, we watched it for 6 hours and loved it, followed it on TV for the rest of the tourney, baseball the crowd is awesome

Coincided a JR pass if you are travelling any distance as is will save you money. There is so much to do that I can not do justice to it here but make the most of your time, we dragged 3 kids under 10 around with us and wore them out but it was sooooooooo worth it.

Hope this provided so insight, enjoy. Arigatou gozimus

TBH, I'm not really that interested in sightseeing in Japan. I just want to go there and binge on food and drink for a week or two.

The 'Tokyo' episode of 'Anthony Bourdain: Parts Unknown' that aired last year sealed it for me:

It just seems like such a new, different experience. Full episode is available through torrent sites.

Episodes of 'No Reservations' where Bourdain has visited Japan have been great too:

Would like to learn some of the language before going though.

Last edited:
TBH, I'm not really that interested in sightseeing in Japan. I just want to go there and binge on food and drink for a week or two.

The 'Tokyo' episode of 'Anthony Bourdain: Parts Unknown' that aired last year sealed it for me:

It just seems like such a new, different experience. Full episode is available through torrent sites.

Episodes of 'No Reservations' where Bourdain has visited Japan have been great too:

Would like to learn some of the language before going though.

食べ放題 (tabehoudai) - All you can eat
飲み放題 (nomihoudai) - All you can drink

Usually you can do two hours of both for about 30 dollars. If you're after a food binge, those are your two most valuable words to know.

食べ放題 (tabehoudai) - All you can eat
飲み放題 (nomihoudai) - All you can drink

Usually you can do two hours of both for about 30 dollars. If you're after a food binge, those are your two most valuable words to know.

Will keep this in mind.

Have read/heard that the quality sushi restaurants (such as those featured on Bourdain's shows) are quite expensive and hard to get a booking at, and require booking a fair bit of time ahead too. I suppose just like anything you want to do on a holiday though, it requires saving and planning.

Will keep this in mind.

Have read/heard that the quality sushi restaurants (such as those featured on Bourdain's shows) are quite expensive and hard to get a booking at, and require booking a fair bit of time ahead too. I suppose just like anything you want to do on a holiday though, it requires saving and planning.

Piss Alley, Shinjuku, Tokyo Station...take the west exit and just past UniQlo you'll come to two lanes rammed with Yakitori, noodles, and beer! Get rammed for under $20

(Log in to remove this ad.)

December 2014 or 2015?
What's it like that time of year?

Going next month. Weather changes pending where you stay.

Osaka, Nagoya and Mie aren't that cold. North looks really cold.

Summer in Osaka, Nagoya and Mie is very humid.

I am going to book flights today to go in March, will take the mrs.
Both have always wanted to go there.

I can get about 10-11 days off work so will head to Tokyo 5 nights and Osaka 5 nights. Do you think this is a good way to go?

Sounds alright. I really like Osaka but I spend most of my time in a fisherman's village in Mie as the inlaws live there.

Ok great.
Must be good heading over there and having family to speak the language mate.

Any places you recommend to visit?

I'm not a very touristy sort of bloke. The only places I actively look for are craft breweries/craft beer bars and stores which sell heavy metal cds.

If that's your thing, let me know. Haha.

http://craftheads.jp/craftheads/Craftheads.html - Shibuya
http://www.lares.dti.ne.jp/~ppy/ - Ryogoku
http://www.minoh-beer.jp/spot/beerbelly/ - Osaka
http://www.ma-maison.co.jp/beerbar.html - Nagoya
http://www.isekadoya.com/restaurant/ - Ise

I haven't been to the top two but that will change next month. Place in Osaka was my favourite, hand pumped stout.

Thats awesome. Thanks for going to the trouble.

Will head to the one in Osaka if I end up booking to go.

Mmm.... Beer.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back