Travel Japan

Remove this Banner Ad

If that is directed at me deltablues, you are off the mark in regards to the 'western PC comments' and flying out.

I simply stated we had a few issues on the trip. If you are assuming that I am then an 'entitled traveller' and am just up on my high horse regarding racism/xenophobia, thats a bit unfair on your side. If you read my posts properly I had a fantastic time, loved the country and people, but just had a few small bad experiences I thought I would share.

Last edited:
Sorry bad choice of wording to your post.
Just a few people have mentioned it happens alot so you would maybe expect it to happen.

Probably happens peak hour on subway. Doubt you'll be using the subway then. Used trains in Tokyo/Nagoya/Osaka and never been in a crush.

If that is directed at me deltablues, you are off the mark in regards to the 'western PC comments' and flying out.

I simply stated we had a few issues on the trip. If you are assuming that I am then an 'entitled traveller' and am just up on my high horse regarding racism/xenophobia, thats a bit unfair on your side. If you read my posts properly I had a fantastic time, loved the country and people, but just had a few small bad experiences I thought I would share.
No - my comments were not directed to you specifically - I appreciated your posts.

Last edited:
As I said, the Japanese discriminate against outsiders. No doubt there.

not sure about that...I think it's a little more saving face because they don't have the ability to communicate. I think we perceive it to be racist because we don't think of the reasons why they treat us differently.

In my experience there was no snorting/spitting - that is a Chinese habit (from my own experience) and indeed to blow your nose in public/restaurants is frowned upon.

agreed, I have never seen a Japanese snort of spit anywhere, it is not in their nature. That is a PRC habit. This is a country that barely allows you to smoke the sidewalk let alone spit.

not sure about that...I think it's a little more saving face because they don't have the ability to communicate. I think we perceive it to be racist because we don't think of the reasons why they treat us differently.

In some instances, certainly, though my Japanese wife openly admits outsiders are discriminated against. Never had an issue myself, though if I lived there I'm sure it would manifest in ways which are generally going to be non confrontational. It is what it is.

agreed, I have never seen a Japanese snort of spit anywhere, it is not in their nature. That is a PRC habit. This is a country that barely allows you to smoke the sidewalk let alone spit.
Yes, I should have said PRC - usually not HK/Sing Chinese, for example. The PRC tourists certainly stand out in, inter alia, Japan.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Just spent two weeks over there. Mostly in Tokyo with a few days in each of Kyoto and Osaka. Amazing experience. Wonderful, accommodating people too, didn't experience any of the issues some have raised in this thread.

Did the usual touristy things- ate too much, drunk a heap, caught a lot of trains (so efficient), saw too many temples/shrines to count, got lost in the never ending maze of shops, walked through many gardens, marvelled at some of the buildings and technologies, caught a day of the sumo in Tokyo and a Swallows baseball game (loved the atmosphere), got out of the cities into the mountains a few times, enjoyed the Sega arcades, a day each at Disneyland and Universal Studios (the former being superior), castles (Nijo and Himeji the pick of them).

And Shinkansens>>>>>Flying.

Last edited:
Good work. Easy to find? When you wake up give us an update.

Yeah was pretty easy to find just up a few side streets and past a few shops, it is hidden away a little bit but that's a good thing.
Was packed though with a really cool atmosphere.
There were at least 6 Americans in there a few European and the rest japanese.
Waitress was really cool she could speak really good English so helped me with the beer selection.
Tried about 7 different tap beers all of which were Japanese.
The Shigakogen IPA was a favourite as was the the Shiroyama Amber Ale.
Will likely head back there either this evening or tomorrow arvo before heading back home on Wednesday.
Really loving this place.

From your memory which beer was a must try there?

Best beer when I was there was an American one. An imperial mint chocolate stout. Loved it. I like bourbon too so had some Evan Williams 23 year old (only seen this once at a bar over here). Had a couple of other American beers and then left. Couldn't stay as I had company with me. You should try and find the American Beer Bar - that was decent, had Sculpin on tap. Sensational. It's up near the train station at Shibuya on a second floor. Sorry can't provide better directions but perhaps the Craftheads staff can help.

Best beer when I was there was an American one. An imperial mint chocolate stout. Loved it. I like bourbon too so had some Evan Williams 23 year old (only seen this once at a bar over here). Had a couple of other American beers and then left. Couldn't stay as I had company with me. You should try and find the American Beer Bar - that was decent, had Sculpin on tap. Sensational. It's up near the train station at Shibuya on a second floor. Sorry can't provide better directions but perhaps the Craftheads staff can help.

Cheers. Will try that I reckon.
I am staying close to Shibuya station so sure I will be able to locate it.

Cheers. Will try that I reckon.
I am staying close to Shibuya station so sure I will be able to locate it.

Opens from 12pm to 12am. Not sure if you've seen that English styled place which opens to 8am on a corner behind the station - it's about 2min from there.

Whereabouts? I'm keen to try and get out of the cities for a day or two if we have time.

By the way you trip sounds action packed. Good stuff.

Didn't leave the well worn tourist paths and go anywhere too unique, but FYI:

From Tokyo we visited Mt Takao and Hakone. Mt Takao is about 50 min from Shinjuku. Small town/village with plenty of hiking options. Views of Tokyo when clear. Chair lift and cablecar. Monkey Park. A few temples towards the top. The town also has a "Trick Art Museum" which was surprisingly good fun.

Hakone region was much busier/touristy. Unfortunately the ropeway was closed due to volcanic activity, which apparently is a highlight of the area. Was cloudy when we were there so couldn't see much of Mt Fuji. About an hour or so from Tokyo, and it might be worth considering the "Hakone Free Pass" if you end up going. A worthwhile stop on the way is Odawara Castle, as it had a great museum (if you're into that sort of thing). Overall though we didn't allow ourselves enough time to explore Hakone and weather wasn't all that favourable.

In Kyoto we visited the tourist-favourite Fushimi Shrine, which was only 15 mins or so south of Kyoto station. 4km walk up the mountain, the walkway lined with arches/toriis. Quite a sight.

When coming back from Himeji to Osaka we made a quick stop at Kobe, and used the ropeway near shin-kobe station to reach the herb garden. Didn't have enough time to explore the area, but Kobe has the Rokko Mountains behind it and there looked to be plenty of hiking options. The views from the ropeway were great.

We found japan-guide.com to be an excellent source of info.

Opens from 12pm to 12am. Not sure if you've seen that English styled place which opens to 8am on a corner behind the station - it's about 2min from there.

Can now say I have been there.
Had a couple of brews there this evening.great call to go there.
Craftheads is closed today for holiday so will say a goodbye tomorrow I reckon.
Seriously loving japan. Amazing place.

Can now say I have been there.
Had a couple of brews there this evening.great call to go there.
Craftheads is closed today for holiday so will say a goodbye tomorrow I reckon.
Seriously loving japan. Amazing place.
If you bring me back some Royce Chocolate Potato Chips I will be forever indebted to you ;)

upload_2015-6-2_5-5-36.png

Remove this Banner Ad

Back