Past Jared Brennan (2003-2010)

Nuggo

Club Legend
Aug 24, 2009
Mornington
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
So Jared looks as though you have really taken ownership of team now. Who the hell says that than pisses off. Least I can see the odd bit of magic now without having to put up with all the crap that comes with it. Lethal was right. Brownie was more of a man at 17 than you'll ever be.

Nov 1, 2005
Reservoir
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Other Teams
Fitzroy 1883-1996
It's a pity that he's gone but he hasn't lived up to his potential. I hope the Suns use him as a forward because he can play some great game up front. He was playing in too many different roles at Brisbane and for me, he would have been an ideal third tall forward.

Oct 13, 2001
Brisbane
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Other Teams
Lions
OK....here goes.

For me, Brennan was one of those infuriatingly teasing types who (depending on your philosophy) was a glass "half full" or glass "half empty" player.

Who could forget those 7 goals against the Pies in Melbourne in 2007?

Then again, who could forget terrible moments like the "Josh Carr headbutt" incident (which arguably cost us a match), the shockingly inconsistent foot passes and other assorted brain fades.

I can honestly say that Brennan was the only(and I mean only) BL player that I have ever, ever, actually payed out on whilst watching a game at the Gabba.

From memory it was in 2006 and I just lost it...... after he tried (for about the third time) to beat an opponent standing the mark with one of his silly one handed fake handball routines....only to get tackled and free kicked for HTB:mad:

All said and done, don't think he really lived up to the hype.

Dylan12

Brownlow Medallist
Sep 7, 2007
Melbourne
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Other Teams
Chelsea, Boston Red Sox
All said and done, don't think he really lived up to the hype.

I am in the same boat Luthor...the conjecture of him leaving throughout the season had me thinking not another one and of all people not him etc but now that he has left, I am not nearly as annoyed as I thought I would be or pissed off as I was with the Henderson/pick 12 trade.

I think it was a game late in the season against the Swans IIRC when he had the chance to put us in front or level the scores from a set shot about 35-45 out almost in front and he missed...and at the time I just thought it wasn't good enough.

As flashy as he was, only two games really stand out...his first against the Pies and a game against the Crows maybe last year where he was bloody solid across the half back line and I reckon won us the game...and for a number 3 draft pick he wasn't consistent enough and personally, more than happy while in a rebuild phase to part ways and bring in another quality youngster.

May 3, 2005
Brisbane
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Other Teams
Scuderia Ferrari, Dallas Cowboys
Yeah, that lineage is a little more difficult to follow now isn’t it.

I suppose if any 1 of the 4 go on to be a superstar we can try to claim it as final fulfilment of that #1 pick.

Amazing that we will have 4 young players on the list next year that will be traceable back to a pick we got in that wooden spoon year, 3 years before our threepeat even started.

Will never forget his debut. Probably the only time Eddie had something good to say about the Lions.

Will miss him.

Positives: Could be on fire for 5 mins and change a game up forward or around the clearances. Taking that mark over Bartel a few years ago.

Negatives: Some silly turnovers. Had a very ugly kick. I have to change my pic on here even though its so small you can hardly see its him.

Imagine if he ever decided to use two hands and be a consistent player he could be as good as Hird.

Link

Brennan, who was traded to the Suns, said he left on good terms and he did not share Sherman's assessment of their former club.
"It definitely wasn't the case for me at the Lions," Brennan told reporters. "I spent eight, nine years there (at Brisbane) and had a great time there. I can't speak for Shermo and his decision, but I had a great time at the Lions. I've left on good terms with the Lions, I think."

As for where he plays, Brennan remained open. "I'm a utility, and that's where I've played the last few years, so where the team needs me that's where I will play," he said.

brennan13.jpg

Jonathan Brown

Brennan held the Lions to ransom with his "trade me or I'll walk and you'll get no compensation" ultimatum after the Suns had claimed Rischitelli as the one uncontracted player allowed from each club.

brennan.jpg

LIONHART

Team Captain
Aug 21, 2009
altona
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
jared brennan must be the highest paid reserves player in the competition, and after the coaches comments concerning team selection this week, it is set to stay that way in the short-term.

their is laconic & lazy but sadly jared takes these elements to new levels.

jackess

Cancelled
30k Posts 10k Posts
Aug 10, 2005
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
A lot of Des Headland and Mark Cupido about Brennan. It really was a dumb decision by both parties (Brennan and the Suns) for him to go to the Gold Coast.

A lot of Des Headland and Damien Cupido about Brennan. It really was a dumb decision by both parties (Brennan and the Suns) for him to go to the Gold Coast.

It does seem strange in hindsight, doesn't it? They struggled to recruit KPPs. Maybe they saw Brennan as a potential full-forward.

May 3, 2005
Brisbane
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Other Teams
Scuderia Ferrari, Dallas Cowboys
A lot of Des Headland and Mark Cupido about Brennan. It really was a dumb decision by both parties (Brennan and the Suns) for him to go to the Gold Coast.

Not so sure it was a bad decision for Brennan.

Getting paid a stack of money to kick a footy around. I suspect that is all he ever wanted.

jackess

Cancelled
30k Posts 10k Posts
Aug 10, 2005
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Not so sure it was a bad decision for Brennan.

Getting paid a stack of money to kick a footy around. I suspect that is all he ever wanted.

It might hurt his longevity. What happens if after 4 years at GC they say we don't rate you how about $150K/yr. Due to the fact that he hasn't done anything at GC then no other club is that keen on him.

He could end up finishing at aged 30 unless he can play some decent footy soon but the young guys might get games before him.

LIONHART

Team Captain
Aug 21, 2009
altona
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Would anyone entertain the notion or advocate having him back at Brisbane when and if he became available, provided he was prepared to play for a realistic salary?

for me he's a bit like mitch clark, his good is very good, even match-winning, his bad is very bad. there is no middle ground with him, it is either one or the other & the problem is you have no idea which one will turn up on any given match day.

as with mitch, at the end of the day, we're better off without him. you want a bit of consistency imo. i wouldn't have him back.

Would anyone entertain the notion or advocate having him back at Brisbane when and if he became available, provided he was prepared to play for a realistic salary?

I would, but then I'm a perpetual sucker for Jared. :eek:

Quigley

Norm Smith Medallist
Sep 23, 2006
Bangalla
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
He is paid a heap and can't get a game for a team even worse than we are.

Personally I think he might be pretty handy in a team near the top that can cover his deficiencies but for a rebuilding side he would be pretty useless.

I was surprised when I first heard he had been dropped. Was it a message of some sort or is he really playing worse than 22 of his team mates?

I won't deny that I find it quite amusing.:)

Back