Toast Jared Rivers

Remove this Banner Ad

Was expecting a few " I was wrong about Rivers " posts . It seems his recruitment along with H Mc wasn't such a mistake from the club!
Has been very good and consistent all year and he cost us nothing!!

Was expecting a few " I was wrong about Rivers " posts . It seems his recruitment along with H Mc wasn't such a mistake from the club!
I'd be happy to throw out an 'I was right' if I wasn't too hungover and lazy to find statements to back it up!

I will admit that I didn't think we'd get anything out of McIntosh which I'm happy to admit was wrong but I was never critical of Rivers in 2013, given that he was injured in play which can happen to anyone.

Im a bit conflicted S13 , your quite correct FA etc. cost us only $$$$. But there is another cost , the opportunity cost for the players already on our list. To me it gets back to what the FA types allow you to achieve. Do they bridge a gap while our younger guys get experience or do they help us win a flag. Do that and its perfect. If they just log jam us and prove to not help us achieve then they are probably taking games from other players.

As it stands Id say Rivers will get offered another contract , 12 months. His marking form this year has been back to his Melb best.

Im a bit conflicted S13 , your quite correct FA etc. cost us only $$$$. But there is another cost , the opportunity cost for the players already on our list. To me it gets back to what the FA types allow you to achieve. Do they bridge a gap while our younger guys get experience or do they help us win a flag. Do that and its perfect. If they just log jam us and prove to not help us achieve then they are probably taking games from other players.

As it stands Id say Rivers will get offered another contract , 12 months. His marking form this year has been back to his Melb best.
I see your point but I believe in both cases we were devoid of any developing youngsters able to play the roles.
In the ruck we had West and Simpson, one being no more than an adequate 2nd ruck an and Simpson an untried injury prone ruck.
In the case of Rivers he was a direct swap as the 3rd tall for Scarlett .currently we have no one on the list able to fill that spot.
Brown was tried due mainly to river's injury. Perhaps Mackie could have leaving a spot for say Thurlow to develop but he has not shown enough yet plus Mackie is much better as a running HBF.
It was unfortunate that both players were injured most of the year but that's the risk the club had to take in the hope of pinching a flag whilst regenerating the list.
That's how I see it.

I was wrong about Rivers. He has been very good all year so far. I just watched the replay and would have given him a vote except I had already put my votes in, he was more than good yesterday he was superb.

I was right about both of them. That doesn't say much. Thinking our players will turn out ok is my default position.

Which means I been wrong plenty of times. :D

Do they bridge a gap while our younger guys get experience or do they help us win a flag. Do that and its perfect. If they just log jam us and prove to not help us achieve then they are probably taking games from other players.
I've argued before TC that this is our approach. Boak aside we haven't gone after big money types with FA, instead we've gone after very solid guys who can cover a gap until a youngster is ready, that's why we got a ruck and a backman each 29 they play for a couple of years cover the gap and then off they go. As it stands neither is keeping anyone out of the side.

Sure it could be argued that bringing in Rivers kept a new comer out of the 22. Thing is, I'm not sure that we had anyone to replace Scarlett and Rivers is kind of playing that role. Sure, he was not much last year with the injury but this year having had a full run at it he has surpassed my hopes.

Having seen him at the Demons I knew he had the skills but I reckon he is playing better than I had seen him play there. I would be shocked if he did not get another one year deal with a 2nd year option. I'm sure he would want 2 years and if he keep the form up, he might get it….

Go Catters

He's been great this year…really solid and composed. His season last year was cruelled by injury. Just a class player.

But he has a big task this week…with no Lonners or Enright, he will be under enormous pressure.

Sure it could be argued that bringing in Rivers kept a new comer out of the 22. Thing is, I'm not sure that we had anyone to replace Scarlett and Rivers is kind of playing that role.

Go Catters

If my memory still works, we (BF people) were hoping GFC would recruit Sully at that time. With some hindsight the list managers made the correct decision getting Rivers.

Carlton took Watson (2010 draft pick 18). Still a little way off IMO. If we had Watson rather than Rivers we would have to play Brown or Walker or Thurlow or Hamling or Watson. None are ready/up to it yet.

NB Sully still a VFL rep so maybe his chance will come. KPDs don't grow on trees.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Brought in to plug up a hole, has done a great job this season, our tall recruitment has been pretty ordinary with late picks so it's not surprising we had to take this step.
Since his arrival he's strengthened the defence, no doubts about it.

I'd put him on Tippet. Rivers is great when the ball's in the air but I'm not sure we're playing to his strengths when we play him on short guys. His kicking's still got question marks over it but it seems he's been making much better decisions with ball in hand this year which is good to see. Overall a very good player.

Nice article in tomorrow's Age by Emma Quayle talking about the struggles that Rivers had fitting in at the club in his first 12 months (due to culture and injury). The comments he makes about adapting to the 'winning' culture are not too dissimilar to some of the comments that Josh Caddy has made in the past.

http://www.theage.com.au/afl/afl-ne...vers-that-winning-feeling-20140718-zudvv.html
Great article, thanks Rankin. I loved this quote from Rivers:

“It’s funny, in my first game for Geelong we beat Hawthorn and the other guys were looking at me strangely, I was so excited about it,” Rivers said. “Even throughout the year, I almost got too excited when we won games of footy and had to pipe down a bit."

wow, cool article.
Wish writers learnt how to write though.

I'm happy to say I have always been on the Rivers wagon, was really when we picked him up and his form this year has been outstanding

Shows how much the 'experts' know mind you, heard on crunch time a few weeks ago them trying to pick an all Australian team at the point of the season, they mentioned Taylor in there.... Rivers has clearly been our best defender all year IMO and Harry has struggled for the most part

not sure about taking Rivers over Taylor even with Taylor in a career form slump as Rivers plays a lot more loose which has seen him stand out a little more often.
1-on-1, Harry is still superior against forwards whereas Rivers sometimes fails to get hands on the footy (Harry's got enormous reach). Rivers has no doubt been terrific this year but it kind of shows just how good Taylor has been if what we are seeing at the moment is a subdued Harry . . . imagine if Harry can re-capture AA form before the finals begin.
This year Rivers has been the better all-round player - loose and man-on-man. Harry is back to A1 form now but he was poor for 10 or so weeks. Rivers has been in fine form all season.

Nice article in tomorrow's Age by Emma Quayle talking about the struggles that Rivers had fitting in at the club in his first 12 months (due to culture and injury). The comments he makes about adapting to the 'winning' culture are not too dissimilar to some of the comments that Josh Caddy has made in the past.

http://www.theage.com.au/afl/afl-ne...vers-that-winning-feeling-20140718-zudvv.html
"Here, you never have to ask yourself, ‘Do we think we’re going to win?"

Love it.

"The wedding is in December, by which time one of Rivers’ groomsmen, James Frawley, could be his teammate again." :eek::eek::eek:

Was expecting a few " I was wrong about Rivers " posts . It seems his recruitment along with HMc wasn't such a mistake from the club!

s13 , not tempted trawl for previous quotes?

My issue with him was fitness , he looks fitter this year but his is still not quick. He rock steady but adds more our issue having the rebound of a flat tennis ball. Against the likes of Melb and GWS , he is bedrock. I do worry about speed.

And as he is good mates with Frawley do we think dropping him to get Frawley will work?

On Hmac , until he win us final or plays a critical role (like Ottens in 07) he is a miscalculation in my opinion

"Here, you never have to ask yourself, ‘Do we think we’re going to win?"

Love it.

"The wedding is in December, by which time one of Rivers’ groomsmen, James Frawley, could be his teammate again." :eek::eek::eek:

CE , I think we both commented at stages last year that he looked like he was apprehensive or unsure , especially in the bigger games.
Its one thing to be drafte into a club, brought up to be acclimatised to it , but to come in as a mature player...bit like becoming royalty as a adult id think.
This year he looks far more at home , he has contributed , and knows he has given value and is valued. Its not just words. He has done enough for another year and if they get Frawley it will be one of things they will have to consider... how long it takes him to get over Melb.

s13 , not tempted trawl for previous quotes?

My issue with him was fitness , he looks fitter this year but his is still not quick. He rock steady but adds more our issue having the rebound of a flat tennis ball. Against the likes of Melb and GWS , he is bedrock. I do worry about speed.

And as he is good mates with Frawley do we think dropping him to get Frawley will work?

On Hmac , until he win us final or plays a critical role (like Ottens in 07) he is a miscalculation in my opinion
On Hmac .. He's an improvement on anything we had last year. Has shown he can be a good contributor but as you say in finals is where it counts.
His definitely no Ottens but very handy never the less.
Rivers has been very solid yes May lack run but we haven't been able to find anyone to consistently do it. This is why Varcoe is being tried.and Motlop playing further up the field.
I'd rather keep rivers for an extra year or 2 whilst introducing hamling and kolo to the team than bringing in Frawley who I think is overrated and not skilled enough to forgo giving kolo a chance.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back