Bumped Jarrad Oakley-Nicholls's time for a change

Remove this Banner Ad

No it was FJ, but he was the only recruiter and he was part time while working as a teacher including Saturdays for school sports, so he didn't really have much info to go on. He's built our recruitment department and network from scratch.
He only came in halfway through 2005, bit ridiculous to suggest that it was his pick when nowadays they look at players from their early teens...

Thanks Matt its great to have read he's doing something meaningful and useful with himself as he could have disappeared into a wasteful lifestyle after his AFL dream was a flop.

Totally agree. At 27, he's still so young.
I just read he did play 23 games at East Perth this year - they finished 4th - so seems to have finally overcome all those injuries that cruelled him for years.

Good luck to him.

"What Happened to Jarrad Oakley-Nicholls?" An update linked below on JON, from November 2014.
Further, he clocked up his 100th game for East Perth in the WAFL this year.

http://www.mailerreport.com/#!what-happened-to-jarrad-oakley-nicholls/c1ksa

lol at how they quoted the OP of this thread though
http://www.bigfooty.com/forum/threads/jarrad-oakley-nicholls-the-next-judd.203259/

Left the final line out though. :)
"Haven't seen him play so I don't know his ball winning ability and skill level but he must be alright to get an invite to draft camp"

Poor old JoN. After he was drafted the story was that Miller/Wallace wanted the best athlete/footballer available - that was JoN. FJ has been quoted by some that supposedly know as reckoning JoN was worth about pick 20. So that was a real reach, driven by a concept of how footy was going to develop. Fast running athletes simply overwhelming old style footballers through speed. Actually with Geelong, then Hawthorn, it went the other way to tough skilled smart players. I understand the logic that was behind the picking of JoN. But damn it stretching more than 10 picks just because he is the best of a type is silly!! That he has talent was shown when WC pounced and thought they had a potential player. Hmm, lots of physical talent, but not up to AFL metal requirements. Sort of like the old RFC 'brains trust' - except I doubt they were physically all that good as well.

Hindsight is always 20/20... but he should never have been drafted at pick 8. I remember it as Wallace knowing he was on the chopping block and so he went with JO-N hoping that he would have "x-factor", and hopefully improve his chances of an extension.

Doing his shoulder in game 1 didnt help his cause either...was looking not bad up until he had to not back down and he didnt and that was game set match for him.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back