Certified Legendary Thread Convicted Rapist: Jarryd Hayne - Fumbling and Quitting the Lifelong Dreams ™

Remove this Banner Ad

I was thinking about this and there is actually one guy in the NRL I think with about 6 months practice would get onto an NFL team(especially detroit)

Pat Richards as a kicker.

He has a cannon connected to his leg. Clears 50m penalty kicks for goal near the top of the post in league. Is extremely accurate from anywhere near the posts and generally only misses from right near the sideline and a lot of those misses hit the posts.

He has revolutionised kickoffs to the point where all other teams kickers are trying to achieve what he can off restarts.

His ability to hit the correct point of the ball for each type of kick he requires is excellent and because of this I believe he would adapt quickly to connecting the ball correctly to hit the sweet spot of a gridion ball.

No. And given the opportunity would you knock it back?
Have a look at my comments in this thread. At no point have I criticized him, said he's gunning for a dream, give it a try etc. All I did say was that he's a bit deluded to think he can compare himself with Hester. Yeah ego but deluded. How many thousands of pure athletes and WRs CBs RB's have not been even able to hold down a return job let alone achieve feats half as good as Hester.

How quick is Hayne? How good are his hands? Just thinking that with those two rating well and his ability to "take a hit" he could possibly play as the slot receiver. Definitely not a deep threat but plausible if he could learn route running.

Have a look at my comments in this thread. At no point have I criticized him.

I acknowledge this, and agree, yes the odds are against him.

I fully expect him to be back in a Parra jersey in 2016

How quick is Hayne? How good are his hands? Just thinking that with those two rating well and his ability to "take a hit" he could possibly play as the slot receiver. Definitely not a deep threat but plausible if he could learn route running.
A poor man's Welker?? Short and sharp routes where he can take the hits but could also pop out for a big gain.

Have a look at my comments in this thread. At no point have I criticized him, said he's gunning for a dream, give it a try etc. All I did say was that he's a bit deluded to think he can compare himself with Hester. Yeah ego but deluded. How many thousands of pure athletes and WRs CBs RB's have not been even able to hold down a return job let alone achieve feats half as good as Hester.
Jeff Demps is a US Track and Field Olympic representative and recently released return man. He played football through college and has been on the Patriots and Buccaneers. He's a superior athlete (i.e. he's run 9.96 in the 100M) to Hayne with an understanding of football concepts. If someone like that can't make it, Hayne is pushing s**t up a hill.

Most people here think it's an incredibly brave move that should be commended. The realists understand he's going over to have a crack, will more than likely fail and will come home, tail between his legs, bigger for the experience and straight back to the Eels with a nice contract to show for it.

Jeff Demps is a US Track and Field Olympic representative and recently released return man. He played football through college and has been on the Patriots and Buccaneers. He's a superior athlete (i.e. he's run 9.96 in the 100M) to Hayne with an understanding of football concepts. If someone like that can't make it, Hayne is pushing s**t up a hill.

Most people here think it's an incredibly brave move that should be commended. The realists understand he's going over to have a crack, will more than likely fail and will come home, tail between his legs, bigger for the experience and straight back to the Eels with a nice contract to show for it.

I think that the experience of training for the NFL could be the big benefit for Haynes. I'm not saying that NRL players aren't professional in their attitude to training, but Haynes will surely learn something new from his NFL indoctrination.

TBH, I wish him well. As everyone has agreed he's a long shot to make it in the NFL, but if you never try you're no chance.

While I agree, being able to run 100 under 10s doesn't mean you can zig and zag through the oncoming rush. Barry Sanders wasn't the fastest or strongest built but he could just make people miss. It'll be interesting to see if Hayne has the ability to make people miss or slow up in respect allowing a few extra yards.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

While I agree, being able to run 100 under 10s doesn't mean you can zig and zag through the oncoming rush. Barry Sanders wasn't the fastest or strongest built but he could just make people miss. It'll be interesting to see if Hayne has the ability to make people miss or slow up in respect allowing a few extra yards.
4.26 40 speed is 4.26 40 speed. You can't teach speed. That said, I agree with the rest of your post.

4.26 40 speed is 4.26 40 speed. You can't teach speed. That said, I agree with the rest of your post.
I agree but some are only good at running in a straight(ish) line. I'd take the evasiveness of Barry Sanders over line speed anyday.

Deion Sanders had both and why he was so good at the 16 positions in 8 sports he did.

I agree but some are only good at running in a straight(ish) line. I'd take the evasiveness of Barry Sanders over line speed anyday.

Deion Sanders had both and why he was so good at the 16 positions in 8 sports he did.
This is true but you're also referencing two of the NFL's top 10 players of all time.

I'll tell you one obvious difference. In league defenses slide sideways and everyone can carry the ball so defenders are always keying on other people too. In gridiron there's only one ball carrier and everyone comes running in keyed on the one guy. Also in returns, people are flying in a hundred miles an hour from all angles. So Hayne is gonna be very disorientated, gonna get hit from angles he's not used to. And scared a little at the ferocity compared to league where it's more sliding sideways with a hit originating about 5 meters back at most. Haynes muscle memory will have him going east west a lot, trying to do too much as well, and he will struggle. Also never worn a helmet so he's gonna find that hard, the narrower peripheral vision.

Easier in league to wiggle and shimmy around a few guys who are all sliding with eyes on the guy their marked up against. But in nfl there'll be guys screaming in from 50 yards at a diagonal angle from the left, the right and some from behind ads well as those in front, and all Zeroing in on just him.

Last edited:
For comparisons sake,

Robert Griffin III - 6'2, 101kg
Jarryd Hayne - 6'2, 100kg

People look at Hayne in an NRL setting and think he's really really big and agile and fast. But in an NFL sense, he's not.

I think the gap is much, much wider than many people realise.

I'll tell you one obvious difference. In league defenses slide sideways and everyone can carry the ball so defenders are always keying on other people too. In gridiron there's only one ball carrier and everyone comes running in keyed on the one guy. Also in returns, people are flying in a hundred miles an hour from all angles. So Hayne is gonna be very disorientated, gonna get hit from angles he's not used to. And scared a little at the ferocity compared to league where it's more sliding sideways with a hit originating about 5 meters back at most. Haynes muscle memory will have him going east west a lot, trying to do too much as well, and he will struggle. Also never worn a helmet so he's gonna find that hard, the narrower peripheral vision.

Easier in league to wiggle and shimmy around a few guys who are all sliding with eyes on the guy their marked up against. But in nfl there'll be guys screaming in from 50 yards at a diagonal angle from the left, the right and some from behind ad well as those in front, and they're all like Zeroing in on just him.
Even in the NFL you can see some PR's panic, usually resulting in an 'early' fair catch wave. I can see Hayne either 1. Early fair catches or 2. Not calling a fair catch when he should, resulting him being a highlight reel on SportsCentre

Easier in league to wiggle and shimmy around a few guys who are all sliding with eyes on the guy their marked up against. But in nfl there'll be guys screaming in from 50 yards at a diagonal angle from the left, the right and some from behind ad well as those in front, and they're all like Zeroing in on just him.
As a KR/PR, there's actually less to worry about in the NFL. You're the only person trying to catch the ball, for one. There are also no fair catches or blockers in the NRL. I don't think Hayne can make it in another position, but he'd have some chance as a KR/PR.

I heard an interview with the guy from the Colts that recruited Daniel Adongo on "Move the Sticks". There is a precedent for taking someone with no NFL experience so you should assume Hayne at least has a chance.

It's not uncommon for NFL teams to pluck players from other sports.
Washington Redskins' punter Saverio Rocca was a successful Australian Rules Football player before making the switch to the pigskin. But Rocca at least had some brief football experience before making the jump.
The same can't be said for Daniel Adongo, a Keyan-born rugby star who just signed a rookie contract with the Indianapolis Colts despite never having played American football.
In fact, outside of watching the Super Bowl or an occasional playoff game, Adongo knows virtually nothing of the sport.
From The Indianapolis Star: "I’m pretty much starting from scratch,” he said. “But I’m a quick learner.”
Adongo, who will be converted from a rugby flanker into a outside linebacker, is a physical specimen, and many of his rugby skills will translate over to the gridiron.
But one of the things that he will struggle with is the equipment, namely the helmet.
“He tried to put on his helmet and he was struggling with it,” said fellow rookie linebacker and football-convert Bjorn Werner. “It’s like, wow, you got the chance to come to an NFL camp and you’ve never played football.
“That’s something special.”
You can look at Adongo's YouTube clips and tell that he's a gifted athlete. It will be interesting to see how he progresses.
Let's hope he can get past the shoulder pads

On 25 July 2013, the NFL's Indianapolis Colts announced that they signed Adongo as an outside linebacker despite the fact that he had no prior American football experience. After spending time as a member of the Colts' practice squad, Adongo was added to the Colts' active roster on 3 December 2013. Adongo appeared in two games for the Colts in 2013, but did not record a tackle.
On August 7, 2014, Adongo received a bicep injury during a pre-season game, and was waived by the Colts the following day. The team also stated that if he clears waivers, he will revert to injured reserve.

Pete Carroll was joking and doesn't even know who Hayne is;

ESPN said:
Carroll was quizzed in a press conference on Wednesday afternoon US time as to whether the Parramatta Eels star could make a radical code-hop after quitting rugby league.

"Our scout down under has been on this for some time now," Carroll said, which provoked titters in the room.

"He's an incredible athlete and a great competitor, which is the kind of stuff we like. We'll see where it goes."

After the press conference, the Seahawks' communications head Dave Pearson warned against reading too much into the coach's comments, ESPN reported.

"He doesn't even know who the guy is," Pearson said.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back