Certified Legendary Thread Convicted Rapist: Jarryd Hayne - Fumbling and Quitting the Lifelong Dreams ™

Remove this Banner Ad

Carroll is reported as calling Hayne an "incredible athlete". I tend to think that there's been an informal promise made to Hayne.

http://www.news.com.au/sport/nrl/ja...credible-athlete/story-fndv34of-1227092169539

Yeah I can see Hayne ending up like this guy for the 49ers.

Not a bad thing at all, but it's a pity Carroll has burnt his tickets at UCLA, if I was Hayne I'd ask to get a scholarship there....29 year old Aussie in college in Southern California.....he won't be able to spell NRL after one semester and he could walk away with a Degree in Social Media to boot.

carnthemlions

Brownlow Medallist
Apr 19, 2012
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Other Teams
San Francisco 49ers, Hertha Berlin
I heard an interview with the guy from the Colts that recruited Daniel Adongo on "Move the Sticks". There is a precedent for taking someone with no NFL experience so you should assume Hayne at least has a chance.
There's a guy on the 49ers practice squad called Lawrence Okoye. I think he played rugby union as a junior before competing in discus at the olympics. Spent most of last year injured, I think they're trying to turn him into a defensive lineman.

Not a bad thing at all, but it's a pity Carroll has burnt his tickets at UCLA, if I was Hayne I'd ask to get a scholarship there....29 year old Aussie in college in Southern California.....he won't be able to spell NRL after one semester and he could walk away with a Degree in Social Media to boot.
Yup, that's the guy. If you're talking precedents, I don't think there would be many examples of guys who were genuine stars in a different football code giving it a try in the NFL as something other than a punter. Okoye is more an attempt to turn a raw athletic freak into a football player, Hayne is someone who might have a bit more to work with.

Oct 14, 2014
Melbourne
AFL Club
Collingwood
Other Teams
Philadelphia Eagles, LA Lakers
I just dont see him at WR, not even as a punt returner. To even come out and say that you think you can match a guy like Devin Hester or Percy Harvin in the return game after never playing a down of football in itself is audacious. But fair play to him, he thinks he's got what it takes and is going after it. I just dont see it at WR with hands, route running etc. Im not a league follower but apparently he's quick and on tape he looks like he has some wheels, but corners and other WR's are some of the fastest people in pro-sports. Im not being that guy, but im just not sure. Will be interesting either way.

I would've thought on face-value hes a 3rd down RB or Linebacker?

Colin Scotts is still the king

That may be but Colin Scott's kangaroo hop sack dance was an embarrassment to all Australians and did more for the American impression that wild marsupials jump up and down George and Collins Streets than Crocodile Dundee, Steve Irwin, Mission Impossible 2 and the Australian episode of the Love Boat could ever have dreamed of accomplishing.

Jun 23, 2014
Brisbane
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Other Teams
Philadelphia Eagles
For comparisons sake,

Robert Griffin III - 6'2, 101kg
Jarryd Hayne - 6'2, 100kg

People look at Hayne in an NRL setting and think he's really really big and agile and fast. But in an NFL sense, he's not.

I think the gap is much, much wider than many people realise.

Yeah but RG3 sucks.

Beetlebum

Premiership Player
Jul 13, 2011
Formerly Row UU Block 113.
AFL Club
Fremantle
There's a lot of possibilities of positions he could play with his size and pace, especially if he can get involved with a team during this season and start learning the intricacies of the position/s that they want to try him out in. It's a bold move, but he's only 26 so if he doesn't get a gig in the NFL then he'll just come back and play for Parra in 2016 so he's not really losing anything by at least giving it a go.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Feb 7, 2010
AFL Club
Collingwood
Other Teams
Green Bay Packers, Stanford

Wait what? Carroll was coach at UCLA now? but then you got it right with University of Southern Cal. but he has not "Burnt his tickets at USC", they just inducted him into the USC athletic HoF in June IIRC

While the current UCLA coach is a former Seahawks coach

Wait what? Carroll was coach at UCLA now? but then you got it right with University of Southern Cal. but he has not "Burnt his tickets at USC", they just inducted him into the USC athletic HoF in June IIRC

While the current UCLA coach is a former Seahawks coach

Stupid me....

I find the USC HoF award remarkable, guess cheating NCAA regs and staying mum about it is OK

Last edited:
For comparisons sake,

Robert Griffin III - 6'2, 101kg
Jarryd Hayne - 6'2, 100kg

People look at Hayne in an NRL setting and think he's really really big and agile and fast. But in an NFL sense, he's not.

I think the gap is much, much wider than many people realise.

There's a few small guys...

• Jim Leonhard (5'8" 185) ...
  • Trindon Holliday (5'5" 165) ...
  • Wes Welker (5'9" 185) ...
  • Ray Rice (5'8" 212) ...
  • Bob Sanders (5'8" 205) ...
  • DeSean Jackson (5'10" 175) ...
  • Antoine Winfield (5'9" 180) ...
  • Steve Smith (5'9" 185)

This guy is 173cm and looks like a pothead,although quick, averages 4.5 yds a carry. Would Hayne be quicker?

Danny-Woodhead.jpg

Sep 9, 2006
Sydney
AFL Club
Sydney
Other Teams
Jacksonville Jaguars, Aston Villa
No No No TGBB what don't you understand.

I have learnt on this thread that everyone in the NFL has olympic level speed and are superior athletes that put shame on any other people on the planet.

Hayne could not match these superior human beings who are all better than any international athlete could possibly be. ;)

Christ as far as I know he hasn't even had the decency to kill anyone nor beat a woman or kids. Pathetic effort from him.

Would love to see Hayne at the Dallas Cowboys.Atleast he has the balls to put them on the line and say you know what I'm giving this a go before i get to old and anything is possible.And I'm sure he would not have quit the NRL unless he had some idea that teams where interested.At least he can say hey i gave it a go and if he is successful his Pay at the Eels will look like chicken feed.
I think he can do it and if he wants it he will get it.Good Luck

If he believes what he thinks he is capable of achieving.. good luck to him.. nobody is expecting him to be a 'vet' so as long as he makes a good fist of it and gets on the practise squad.. well, that's just dandy. If he can stay heathy.. that's just gonna wanna make him persist.. but you just know as soon as the 'banged up' feeling hits him in a cold cold sweat in the middle of the night and he'll ask himself.. was this what it's all cracked up to be?

He'll return to the NRL knowing he gave the NFL a crack and that's ALL GOOD for the Down Under exposure.. if he stays healthy and makes the roster.. even better. But don't expect me to listen to Australian media talk NFL … *facepalm*

Apr 5, 2011
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
Beantown
There's a few small guys...

• Jim Leonhard (5'8" 185) ...
  • Trindon Holliday (5'5" 165) ...
  • Wes Welker (5'9" 185) ...
  • Ray Rice (5'8" 212) ...
  • Bob Sanders (5'8" 205) ...
  • DeSean Jackson (5'10" 175) ...
  • Antoine Winfield (5'9" 180) ...
  • Steve Smith (5'9" 185)

This guy is 173cm and looks like a pothead,although quick, averages 4.5 yds a carry. Would Hayne be quicker?

Danny-Woodhead.jpg
Woodhead ran a 10.5 second 100 Metres sprint in College TheGreatBarryB. He's got wheels.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back