Jarryd Hayne Quits the NRL, Quit the NFL, Quits Rugby Sevens, chases the money to the Gold Coast

Remove this Banner Ad

Massive loss for the NRL. On top of Sonny bill and Sam Burgess. Their 3 most marketable players gone.

It is really quite odd timing. just before 4 nations too.

Hayne will never make it in the NFL. There are hundreds of thousands of people who grow up playing American Football, and only a tiny percentage make it to the top. And Hayne wants to go over there without ever having a played a game and make the cut?

Yeah, nah.

Spent time with the Eels just after the season looking at the facilities at the Seattle Seahawks and University of Washington which both have ties though their programmes to Pete Carroll who coaches Reggie Bush who was here during the season (State of Origin in particular) to promote 7's TV Deal with the NFL and I have no doubt he has got word back to Carroll that Hayne is worth looking at. I just don't think he'll make it as a running back and is too small to be wide receiver or tight end in Seattle's system.

Wasting time really

Spent time with the Eels just after the season looking at the facilities at the Seattle Seahawks and University of Washington which both have ties though their programmes to Pete Carroll who coaches Reggie Bush who was here during the season (State of Origin in particular) to promote 7's TV Deal with the NFL and I have no doubt he has got word back to Carroll that Hayne is worth looking at. I just don't think he'll make it as a running back and is too small to be wide receiver or tight end in Seattle's system.

Wasting time really

really i thought a running back would be his only chance.
Full back's are pretty much blockers nowadays
receivers forget whether he's big enough he isn't going to learn to run routes and anticipate the throw as an adult. it just not on you need the collage system.

obviously he won't be starting tailback but 2-4 string especially on special teams or as a red zone play where you need more ability then strength. he'd be more of a few plays that are the opposite of the main gameplan to catch the other side off guard.

but i still don't think he's got what it takes. AFL guy's go as kickers and usually fail, let alone competing against some of the highest paid players in the league. kid's spend 10 years from highschool all the way to Uni to play.

and the one's that make it in spot's like half backs focus on just one role for most of that time.
as a half back you also have to read the play, not many teams audible from a run play to throw if the coverage is no good, the other way around yes. But half back is expected to read the coverage and find a hole even when it looks like a disaster.

I bloke that's never played a game? it's just disaster written all over it................. unless, how far can hayne kick?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Why are so many of NRL's biggest names leaving?

Money.jpg

Weren't these guys on over a million dollars a year in the NRL? Not like they're strapped for cash

Surely that can't be the only reason

the NRL's salary cap is less then 6 million.

even going off the largely inflated dollar amounts that the Newspapers report only 2 players have only ever earnt $1 mill a year. i've never heard of any NRL player earning over mill just from salary. some have with third party payments etc.

but the rest? rugby union like the NFL offers millions per season.
Sam burgess is reportedly earning 6 million for 3 years.
that's 2 million a season.

his reported earnings 300K per year at souths.

they paid south's 500 POUNDS (that's like a million bucks) just to get them to release him.

Last edited:
Why are so many of NRL's biggest names leaving?

SBW has come and gone as he pleases, Burgess is going home, while Hayne is trying something new. I don't think we lose that many and when we do someone else steps up to the plate.

SBW has come and gone as he pleases, Burgess is going home, while Hayne is trying something new. I don't think we lose that many and when we do someone else steps up to the plate.

Or gets poached from Super League *cough* Tomkins *cough*.

Really disappointed about Hayne but I hope it's the 12 month try-it-and-return timeframe Parramatta are insinuating it could be. It's a big loss for the game, he's a freak.

Or gets poached from Super League *cough* Tomkins *cough*.

Poached is what the English did for years to the game in NZ, so it's about time that role was only ever so slightly reversed.

Really disappointed about Hayne but I hope it's the 12 month try-it-and-return timeframe Parramatta are insinuating it could be. It's a big loss for the game, he's a freak.

Good luck to him, but like all the others, he'll most likely be back at some stage.

Back in the day when league was a winter sport in England, though, the top players (English and Aus/NZ) used to play here in the winter and in Australia in (our) summer. So that wasn't really 'poaching'. Of course, wages wouldn't have been so high back then.

I'm really disappointed about Joe Burgess, though.

Hayne will never make it in the NFL. There are hundreds of thousands of people who grow up playing American Football, and only a tiny percentage make it to the top. And Hayne wants to go over there without ever having a played a game and make the cut?

Yeah, nah.

You can get buy in a lot of roles in American football just on physical gifts alone.

Back in the day when league was a winter sport in England, though, the top players (English and Aus/NZ) used to play here in the winter and in Australia in (our) summer. So that wasn't really 'poaching'. Of course, wages wouldn't have been so high back then.

I'm really disappointed about Joe Burgess, though.

movement between RL comps is healthy for league in general though, keeps people in the system.

also appears there's more to Haynes leaving as well
http://www.foxsports.com.au/nrl/jar...credible-athlete/story-e6frf3ou-1227092169539

Seem's he could be closer to a contract then we first thought.

The Hayne Train was on MMM the other day:

"I've been playing a lot of NFL on xbox and really got to appreciate the sport"

What an absolute tosser. The Hayne Plane is heading to the US and he's going to crash into a mountain. Next to no chance of making it.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back